Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ryanr95

10% BP on the Regimen

Hi,

I accidentally bought 10% BP at the drug store yesterday, and I won't be able to make a trip out to a drug store for another week or so. I've been using a very small tube of 2.5% gel for the past few weeks and the redness seemed to die down after my face got used to it.

After the redness when I started using 2.5%, I'm sort of scared to try 10%, but also don't want to break the cycle I have going. In your opinion, should I try the 10% BP and continue on or simply stop until I can get back on the 2.5% gel?

Thanks in advance

I would not use the 10%. It will only irritate your skin. Trust me, I've tried it! If I were you I would just wait and continue on the 2.5% when you get the chance

I would not use the 10%. It will only irritate your skin. Trust me, I've tried it! If I were you I would just wait and continue on the 2.5% when you get the chance

I agree. Don't even bother with 10%.

From the FAQs:

Q: I can't get a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. Can I use a higher concentration?

A: 2.5% is best. However, anything up to 5% should most likely be fine, albeit more drying and no more effective. Avoid 10% preparations which will over dry. One exception is when dealing with pimples on the back. The skin in this area is tough and may withstand 10% nicely. If you can find a 10% much cheaper, feel free to try it on the back.

So why not simply use less of a 10% solution? Through trial and error I have found this does not work. I do not know exactly why using more of a 2.5% solution works better. My educated guess would be that when you use more of the product, there is more available to be absorbed into the skin.

With all that being said, I agree-do NOT use the 10% bp straight on your face. What you can do as to night break the use of BP as a crude temporary solution is to dilute the bp, 1 part BP to 3 parts moisturizer and create a 2.5%. There was also another girl who used 10% diluted with aloe vera and had good results, if you have any of that.

Again, this isn't a permanent solution. Only do this until you can get your 2.5%. If you notice any serious irritation, dilute the BP more or stop until you can get the 2.5%.