Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Loadsy

Better Makeup/concealer out there?

First off I just wanted to say that I have been using a makeup product from Clinique called superbalanced makeup to cover up my pimples that I have been getting on my face and neck. However, as a straight guy it seems really weird to be having to cover them up with makeup in general, especially since I'm now 23 years old. But ever since I began (since my mother advised me to try it out one day last summer), I can't seem to stop because when I go a day or two without wearing it, my acne looks so red and gross in comparison especially on my face.

While it is a great product and has helped me immensely when going out into public, I'd just like to know if there is anything better than I could be using in terms of concealers/makeups that will also help in not breaking me out as much too. I saw the stickied thread on the "comestics and style" page but with the long list on there I was unsure what I was looking for so I was hoping maybe someone else could offer some advice. I've heard some good things about the mineral-based concealers but I'd like a second opinion before I go out and buy anything.

Also as a sidenote, my acne is nowhere near as bad as it used to be since I went on accutane a few years ago although unfortunately I'm still suffering from it (mostly just my face and neck and a few on my chest). I might have to go back on accutane someday again if this problem persists for another year or so. I'm anxiously waiting for the day when my skin finally is clear and I don't have to be spending so much time trying different products (right now I've switched from Proactive to Dan's products).

So in summary is there anything you would recommend for me to be trying out, at least for now? Thanks in advance!

Hiya,

Might be worth checking out my replies to the post above yours- the one from Scoobydoo. I'm a make up artist and I've just put some info on there which might be useful for you.

To help breakouts caused by make up, using a good primer should really make a difference as it will stop it from soaking into pores.

And for men I would say to avoid mineral make up.

Hope I've been of some help!

Thanks Lily, I actually was just looking at that thread after I posted mine and you definitely had some good information that is useful to me. I will definitely look into finding a good primer though!

Glad it helped!

And for concealer I use Secret Camoflage by Laura Mercier. It's £25 but it's brilliant, lasts absolutely ages (had mine over a year now) and you get two different tones in one little compact so if your skin colour has changed with a tan or you have any pigmentation you can still make sure you can get the exact colour you need.

I'm not sure if you have sensitive skin or not, but if you do, I wouldn't recommend touching a silicone primer with a 10ft pole.

One of my all time favorite concealers is by mark, and it's the Speedway Do Everything Makeup.

It's very creamy and dries to a powder finish. I use it on my scars/nose and it never settles in my creases or pores.

Edited by miss.chaNel

I could help you out with a great primer that I just came around. It's called BeneFit Porefessional. I've been using it for the past 2 weeks and its hands down my favorite primer. It feels like a balm but it is so lightweight and evens everything out (skin texture and helps for the red areas). I use it under my liquid foundation or just wear it alone as it is that well in coverage factor. I bought mine from Sephora and although it was about 28.00 dollars for a tube, it sure seems like it'll last a long time! I'd like to know of a good concealer too cause I'm not liking my MAC concealer anymore :-/

I could help you out with a great primer that I just came around. It's called BeneFit Porefessional. I've been using it for the past 2 weeks and its hands down my favorite primer. It feels like a balm but it is so lightweight and evens everything out (skin texture and helps for the red areas). I use it under my liquid foundation or just wear it alone as it is that well in coverage factor. I bought mine from Sephora and although it was about 28.00 dollars for a tube, it sure seems like it'll last a long time! I'd like to know of a good concealer too cause I'm not liking my MAC concealer anymore :-/

Hey hey,

I just went and googled the name of that primer and from the reviews people have been posting, it actually seems pretty worthwhile, even considering the $28 price tag. Since I'm in Canada I'm sure it's another extra 5-10 dollars but that's still not overly bad. I have to love the name of some of these products though lol. BeneFit Porefessional, the developers of the product must have been up all night trying to think of a name for that one lol. It's a good thing we now have a Sephora here in Edmonton too (although I may have to have one of my lady friends join me when I go in there so it doesn't seem so weird lol). Also that Mark Concealer looks pretty interesting too. Lately I haven't had to cover up too much anyways (maybe thinks are looking up) but should I ever get another breakout I'll consider looking into these products.

The only issue I've had lately is during shaving this past weekend I must have pressed too hard because I ended up getting what I would call a redness/scar of some kind (I'm assuming from razor burn) on the side of my cheek so I've been applying Aloe Vera in hopes it will go down in the next few days before I have to give a presentation at University lol.

Edited by Loadsy

hey so.. just wondering but why are you waiting a year or two to go on accutane again? you should go on again and get it over with. im on my second course for mild persistant acne/VERY oily skin.

but ya PRIMER is the key when it comes to makeup. I recommend YSL Mat Touch Primer. It is oil free and WON'T break you out. it says its non-comedogenic/oil free on the package. it will make your makeup last all day, keep it matt, and go on soooo smoothly that it doesn't even look like you wearing any makeup. its sold at sephora. i apply it after moisturizing then i brush on Make Up For Ever Duo Mat, its a compact powder. and i LOVE IT. the brand, make up for ever, is great for acne prone skin, their products are oil free, and have never broken me out. the coverage is medium to full if u add layers. and i apply it with the MUFE kabuki brush which is really soft then use the sponge the powder compact comes with to apply the powder to redmarks or spots as a concealer. its the most natural way ive found to apply my makeup.

:surprised:

Hey hey,

I just went and googled the name of that primer and from the reviews people have been posting, it actually seems pretty worthwhile, even considering the $28 price tag. Since I'm in Canada I'm sure it's another extra 5-10 dollars but that's still not overly bad. I have to love the name of some of these products though lol. BeneFit Porefessional, the developers of the product must have been up all night trying to think of a name for that one lol. It's a good thing we now have a Sephora here in Edmonton too (although I may have to have one of my lady friends join me when I go in there so it doesn't seem so weird lol). Also that Mark Concealer looks pretty interesting too. Lately I haven't had to cover up too much anyways (maybe thinks are looking up) but should I ever get another breakout I'll consider looking into these products.

The only issue I've had lately is during shaving this past weekend I must have pressed too hard because I ended up getting what I would call a redness/scar of some kind (I'm assuming from razor burn) on the side of my cheek so I've been applying Aloe Vera in hopes it will go down in the next few days before I have to give a presentation at University lol.

:surprised:

Hey hey,

Well good luck with whatever you choose to do! You know, I used to work at a make-up counter and actually you'd be surprised at how many guys came in asking for help! I swear this stuff is a miracle hahaha. :surprised: I will be trying the Cover FX concealer next so let me know how the Mark one works for you!

Just out of curiosity, it's been a few weeks since I've checked this thread but I'm curious to see how the Cover FX Concealer worked out for you. I ended up trying the BeneFit Porefessional from Sephora and you are right, this product is pretty amazing and was a life saver when I had razor burn/yeast of some kind (as my doctor said haha) on the left side of my cheek. I'm definitely going to hang onto it, as it is a nice resource for when breakouts do occur. My skin has been great lately surprisingly (except maybe on the neck every now and then) so I can only hope for the best.