Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jb Ave

how much do you talk about it?

Just wondering.. how much do you talk about acne with your friends or strangers? Do you avoid the subject, not care, or talk about it if someone else brings it up?

I used to avoid the subject at all costs... and be really embarrassed if anything was said about acne.. now I'm not that self conscious and it doesn't bother me to talk about it. I wanna know what you guys think about it. Uncomfortable or a relief to confide in someone?

not at ALL. only to you guys on the board lol.

i do with my boyfriend but i code name acne with "rash" so he thinks i have a rash on my face and thats what im depressed about. i just dont like using the word acne

If skin care comes up, I talk about acne and acne.org and encourage people to visit the site. It's no big deal.

My best friends know about the site because I kind of had to mention it when explaining the roadtrip. Ever since college started (more than 3 years ago now, I'm old =P ) my friends come to me if they have skincare questions because they know I either know the answer/have used the product/or can find it here. haha.

Considering where I met my boyfriend...I don't think we have a problem discussing acne if the subject came up. =P

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Got you... interesting.. I actually have a friend who brought it up and told me he was self conscious about it and I was like... hey now we can talk about it .. lol. So I talk about it with my 2 closest friends and thats it. I don't enjoy discussing it but I guess I don't have a problem with it. But I HATE the word acne! :|

Just wondering.. how much do you talk about acne with your friends or strangers? Do you avoid the subject, not care, or talk about it if someone else brings it up?

I used to avoid the subject at all costs... and be really embarrassed if anything was said about acne.. now I'm not that self conscious and it doesn't bother me to talk about it. I wanna know what you guys think about it. Uncomfortable or a relief to confide in someone?

Never. I once had a job interview where the guy asked what happened to my chin. I said I got beat up lol. Getting beat up is cooler than admitting you got acne haha.

I suppose an interview situation isn't one where you could ask the obvious question: "what happened to your manners?" :P

Never. I once had a job interview where the guy asked what happened to my chin. I said I got beat up lol. Getting beat up is cooler than admitting you got acne haha.

Woooooow. Seriously? What a winner.

I suppose an interview situation isn't one where you could ask the obvious question: "what happened to your manners?" :P

Haha. I was trying to get the job and I'm usually shy during interviews lol. I did get the job but quit a week later for the LULZ!

Woooooow. Seriously? What a winner.

Yeah it was for selling Cutco Knives. Apparently they thought I was a good salesman. We would pair up with other interviewees and sell knives to each other. I made it to the finals and was offerred a position despite my 'beaten up' face haha.

I don't mind the word acne. I hate the word pimples though. But no, I don't discuss it very much unless my friend has a question about skincare.

I hate pimple because people associate that with popping and puss. Acne isn't that much better. I would always make excuses like I got cut shaving - even if the cuts were on my forehead ahahah. My friends knew I think in the back of their mind but they were cool about it and didn't go "no you didn't liar! you had a pimple and you popped it and it oozed everywhere muhahaha".

From my experience, saying you cut yourself shaving or got beat up is more respectable. I don't think girls can use those excuses though lol.

:)

Not much really, the doesnt really come up much and I wouldnt ever just start a conversation about acne.

My mate had acne pretty bad a few years ago so sometimes I'll casually talk to him about it, but other than that I dont talk to friends about it.

Family is different though, the subject comes up quite alot with family.

Very very seldom. I understand, it's embarrassing. Sometimes it comes up on conversation, and I normally smoothly change the subject x] Normally I only talk about it if someone asks me for advice (like my sister did when she got pregnant and broke out) or with a very close friend. I have no problem talking openly about it with acne.org friends, though! That's why they're so great :]

LMAO! I literally loled at this xD

But ya, I don't really talk about it with anyone. Nobody else I know really has any problem with it, so it's not the most comfortable thing in the world to talk about.

I won't start a conversation about it, because that's a little weird IMO. BUT if the conversation were to arise, I would not shy away and I'd participate.

I talked to a few close friends (who don't have any acne) about it, because we are comfortable enough to discuss health issues with eachother. My mom (on the phone), my acupuncturist, my boyfriend.

I hate the word acne, but I don't mind the word "spot", which I heard used a lot when I was in England. I also like "Pickel" which is the German word. I love eating pickles (but don't often- too salty isn't great for the skin), and it makes acne sound like fun children's TV show character.

No one has asked me what's wrong with my face. Probably because it's obviously a break out. A crazy person on the bus once asked me and I said that I fell off my bike and made a face. Also, a friend once asked me if I was allergic to my bike helmet (because I have them a long my upper neck/chin area) and I said, "no, that's just pimples!" And she got really embarrassed.

I think it's kind of like the embarrassment you get when you ask a girl with a belly, "Oh, you're pregnant? When are you due?" and she just looks at you and says she's just fat/had a lunch baby. Oops.

I used to never talk about it; not even to my parents. I always acted like it wasn't a big deal and it didn't bother me but inside it tore me up and drove me mad. Well, after years of my parents calling me a loser for avoiding situations, I finally let them know how much acne affects me. They responded sympathetically and helped me get accutane.

My mom told everyone in my family about it afterwards and it really upset me at first. But when my uncle brought it up and I told him I didn't want to talk about it, he said, "Am I not family? I just want to help." So it was then I realized that I am just a normal guy that is suffering with acne and there is nothing to be ashamed of. Sure, there will be many people who don't understand and will be judgmental or mean but ultimately, they don't really matter.

I also inevitably told my (pretty much only) friend when he asked what I was taking pills for and he clearly didn't mind and even mentioned his own past troubles with acne so that made me feel more comfortable. And talking on here helps a lot too.

So yeah, talking about it has been a big relief for me. But I still only talk about it if it's brought up or on topic. I never bring it up myself.

Not often, but sometimes when people wonder why I wasn't more sociable as a kid, I remind them how other kids can be. You can be funny and have a lot of interests and be fun to hang around, but if you look funny, good luck fitting in.

Also, I've had job interviews that went great, but I knew the interviewer couldn't get over the fact that my skin was really bad at the time. I'm not ashamed to bring that up when people ask why I didn't get this or that job, if I really think my appearance was to blame - and since I'm a very clean person who likes to dress well, by "appearance" I mean skin.

Ive talked about how much it bothers me a little to my parents, but never friends. I dont want to complain to other people how much I hate my skin. But then again I dont open up much about anything. I dont want to be thought of as some fragile, emotional person who always whines about stuff all the time.

Edited by soxfan24

I never talk about it with strangers because that would just be embarrassing! I talk about it ALL THE TIME with my mum! In fact, I was moaning about ten minutes ago about how much worse my skin had gotten. I think it helps to let it all out sometimes, but I'm pretty sure my mum gets annoyed with how much I talk about it! I don't really talk about it with my friends as none of them have acne and don't really understand how upset I get about it sometimes. Also, they're always complaining about their 'acne' (usually 2 spots), so I just keep my mouth shut! :D

Edited by misselizabeth

necro is cool =]

I never talk to my friends about my past acne issues or anyone for that matter. Funny enough, my boyfriend of three years just found out a month ago that I had acne issues in highschool. He probably knew because of my pitted scarring but he never asked what they were or why I had them. Still don't even think he realizes how much shame and devastation comes along with acne. Come to think of it I can't even say the word "acne" outloud. I think it's such an ugly word :-)

I've started confiding in my closest friends about my acne (thanks to this board, I don't feel so 'ashamed' or embarrassed about it).

One of my colleagues (also a good friend) also had acne, he got Accutane and is clear now, but I know he 'understands'. My best girl friend has perfect skin, so she has no knowledge of this disease, but instead of making fake excuses to cancel our plan to go to the health club today I told her the truth..that my skin was breaking out bad, I felt really down and upset about and I can't go out anywhere. She seems quite sympathetic.

In the past, I did talk a bit about with my sister and parents, but I hardly see them now as I live in another city.

Yeah I HATE the word acne too...I usually say 'breakout' or 'spots'. Why couldn't acne have a nice name?? Like, um, 'Florali' or something, LOL

Edited by UKLady

I have very rarely talked with any friends about it.

I talk with my sister about it though considering she has acne too.

Also, if I start to dislike my face, then I bug my mom into letting me get more Isolaz. :lol: