Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Free to Leave

Eyes Side Effects Accutane

I'am currently starting month four, and since the beginning of month tree I have been with very dry, irritated and red eyes, I went to my derm and also to an ophthalmologist, but both of them said that is dry eyes syndrome, but my eyes didn't improve with drop eyes like artificial tears.

Have anyone experienced that side effect? The eye can return to normal after the end of the treatment?

Some peoples go away after they finish their course and when their dryness goes away, but some get unlucky and they still have dry eyes for years after. If your so concerned you should stop taking the pills for a week or 2 and see if it helps

I'am currently starting month four, and since the beginning of month tree I have been with very dry, irritated and red eyes, I went to my derm and also to an ophthalmologist, but both of them said that is dry eyes syndrome, but my eyes didn't improve with drop eyes like artificial tears.

Have anyone experienced that side effect? The eye can return to normal after the end of the treatment?

I had really bad dry eyes back when I was on Accutane. At one point, they got so red that everyone was convinced that I had pink eye. It went back to normal about a week or so after I was done with Accutane though, so hopefully it will be the same for you.

Yea my advice would be to stick through it and avoid using Visine or artificial tears because they can worsen the problem in the long run. Just remember that it's temporary, and drink more water to make sure you're not dehydrated.

I have had a similar experience. I was almost into my 5th month when my eyes suddenly became intolerably irritated and red. Me and others on the forum have been diagnosed with blepharitis/meibomian gland dysfunction which causes the tear film to evaporate too quickly, which is why artificial tears might not be very effective. I suggest that you see your ophthalmologist again and check if your dry eye problem is caused by a gland dysfunction asap. Having asked around, some people recover within a couple months while others have it for longer than a year. It is quite debilitating; I have been experiencing it for a little more than 5 months now. I stopped immediately after I was diagnosed with mgd.

I hope your dry eye is temporary. Take care.

I have had a similar experience. I was almost into my 5th month when my eyes suddenly became intolerably irritated and red. Me and others on the forum have been diagnosed with blepharitis/meibomian gland dysfunction which causes the tear film to evaporate too quickly, which is why artificial tears might not be very effective. I suggest that you see your ophthalmologist again and check if your dry eye problem is caused by a gland dysfunction asap. Having asked around, some people recover within a couple months while others have it for longer than a year. It is quite debilitating; I have been experiencing it for a little more than 5 months now. I stopped immediately after I was diagnosed with mgd.

I hope your dry eye is temporary. Take care.

I am not being sarcastic or anything, but I was just wondering if you personally think it was worth taking Accutane? Like is the dry eyes really bad or is it tolerable? Pimples vs dry eyes is basically what I'm saying :think:

Personally for me, it was definitely not worth taking Accutane. The dry eyes is agonizing, affecting my every day activities. Not only was it physically painful at times, it was mentally painful as well knowing that I caused it. I now wish I could go back in time and never take the drug, understanding that acne is trivial when potentially faced with more serious conditions such as hair loss, dry eyes, depression, etc. But yeah that's just me, I'm sure a lot of people did not encounter side effects or if they did the side effects went away immediately upon discontinuing the drug. Perhaps my case is a statistical outlier. Props to those who had Accutane greatly benefit their lives though.

Personally for me, it was definitely not worth taking Accutane. The dry eyes is agonizing, affecting my every day activities. Not only was it physically painful at times, it was mentally painful as well knowing that I caused it. I now wish I could go back in time and never take the drug, understanding that acne is trivial when potentially faced with more serious conditions such as hair loss, dry eyes, depression, etc. But yeah that's just me, I'm sure a lot of people did not encounter side effects or if they did the side effects went away immediately upon discontinuing the drug. Perhaps my case is a statistical outlier. Props to those who had Accutane greatly benefit their lives though.

Alot of people don't report side effects like dry skin, dry eyes etc because even if it is bothering

them, they are so grateful to be rid of the acne that they just don't care.

Even less people report serious side effects while they are on it because they don't want the derm to take them off it.

I went to ophthalmologist many times, but it looks like when I say the word "accutane", they automatically respond "okay, it is a side effect called dry eye, put some artificial tears and go home".

I've had terrible dry eye since I started Accutane 4 months ago. The only thing that works for me is an eye drop called "Systane". If you can find it in your area, I HIGHLY recommend it. My eyes hurt so bad if I don't use the eye drops. Putting the drops in feels sooooo much better.

I have experienced dry eyes as well and Accutane even caused me to get styes :(

I reccommend eye drops in the morning and night. The brand I use is called Optive and made by Refresh, I believe. I love them. If you place a drop in your hand you can feel the lubrication, it's not just water like other eys drops.

And as someone else mentioned if you are really freaked out try taking a pill every other day or taking a couple days off to see if it gets better.

Good luck!

What is styes? I am not a native in Enlgish

Stye - infection of the sebaceous glands at the base of the eyelashes or along the eyelid.

Imagine an eyelash falls off and the whole that if left by the missing eye last turns into a blocked pore/pimple. Since it's blocked if swell up, just like a zit. It hurts, and if you pop it it will spread the infection. So pretty much there is nothing you can do about it, you are stuck with a swollen eye.

They stink :(

Thanks for the clarification, sorry to know that you had this, hope it gets better.

Has anyone have red eye due to the dryness? Red veins and blood vessels on the white part of the eye? I don't believe that they will go away as soon as I stop the drug.

I had one day where they were one eye was completely red. But it was completely gone in about two days. Are you using drops at all?

In fact I stopped eye drops with artificial tears, because I tried for a couple of days and it did not work fine.

It may be a sign that 40mg a day is to high for me? I am 66kg.. Is side effects related to the dosage??

I have tried everything including doctors of course, bur they always say that is due to Accutane and prescribe me drops.

I have red eyes due to the dryness.

Daily dosage depends on how much the patient weighs;0.5mg - 2mg/kg is typical. I think ur dosage is ok,but if u still feel so dry, go to ur derm again and ask him it is necessary to decrease ur dosage?

btw,could u tell me how long did u see the improvement? I have been 2 weeks, now it is terrible, I am disappointed!

In fact I stopped eye drops with artificial tears, because I tried for a couple of days and it did not work fine.

It may be a sign that 40mg a day is to high for me? I am 66kg.. Is side effects related to the dosage??

I have tried everything including doctors of course, bur they always say that is due to Accutane and prescribe me drops.

Daily dosage depends on how much the patient weighs;0.5mg - 2mg/kg is typical. I think ur dosage is ok,but if u still feel so dry, go to ur derm again and ask him it is necessary to decrease ur dosage?

btw,could u tell me how long did u see the improvement? I have been 2 weeks, now it is terrible, I am disappointed!

Hey, I am almost at the end of month 4 and I have red eyes too, but they aren't too bad, just make me feel kinda tired and you don't really notice the red unless I lift up my eyelid, but I am having some skin issue with my eyelids. I almost never wear makeup, but last week I did and now I have like a rash on my eyelids. I've tried putting lotion on them and hydrocortozone, but they are still a little puffy with tiny bumps and it's real dry. Fun stuff. I'm going to bring it up with my derm next week, but I really hope it's gone by then, it's annoying.

dingchannel I am on month 4 - 40mg day, and my face is terrible as you can see on the pictures...

It is been a vary difficult and painful journey for me, I am not want to make people afraid, because I have friends who take the drug and did not have any serious side effects.

But as I said, I have red eyes constantly since month one, redness, burning face, sensitive skin, and at this pois just more pimples and cyst, like I have never had before.

14102010074.jpg

14102010073.jpg

Edited by Free to Leave