Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

As a guy (straight) i have suffered from acne since i was early 14 and now im 20 and still suffering (mainly face, back and chest). I have quite bad redness on my face and nasty blemishes from acne, mainly on my cheeks. I was very down with this for months and antibiotics, adapalene and all other medicated products wasnt working out. My elder sister who had acne when she was a teen put BARE MINERALS POWDER foundaton on my skin and my god what an improvement it had on covering the blemishes and it was like i had a new face. After having tried this foundation, my sister advised me tou buy one of the bare mineals foundation of my own, which i did. after wearing the foundation on my face people have said that my acne is not as flared up and hey didnt even mention if i had anything on my face etc because it looked so natural (maybe only a few asked me if i was wearing make up on my face). When the people didnt commneted on me saying " Are you wearing Make-up on your face" i felt guted and embarrased because im a guy, and now i get paranoid about wearing iit now, but i try and make it out as natural as possible on my face. Iwould just like an opinion about men, teens wearing make up as in foundation, concelars, powder etc. it is ok isnt it? i mean its not fair that girls can have "good looking" skin covering up blemishes and us guys have to suffer. it made my confidence boost wearing it, im just a bit of a paranoia about people finding out that im wearing it redface.gif

Do what you have to do, just don't make it obvious.

I wennt for laser surgery on my face a couple years ago, face completely burned off with a co2 laser, the redness lasted over a year, i had to wear doublewear just to conceal the redness, it was embarrassing at jujitsu it wld come off on people's gi's when i was fighting. They knew i had been for surgery tho so they were cool about it.

Make up shldn't be a long term solution, it'll cause tremendous embarrassment in the long run. In the meanwhile tho, try n keep it looking natural til u learn to accept yrself the way you are or until yr skin reaches a stage u feel comfortable to expose to people.

Good luck n just take it one day at a time. Wearing make up isn't a gender issue it's an emotional issue.

I'm a make up artist and I am always applying foundation on men. In the modelling industry it is totally acceptable and considered normal for men to wear make up. I think it's extremely unfair that men are made to feel awkward about wearing make up on a day to day basis.

In my opinion, more men should wear make up. I thank my lucky stars daily for foundation, with my akin I couldn't leave the house without it. So if it is making you feel better about your appearance then 100% carry on with what you are doing.

Just a few tips though-

if you are using a brush to apply foundation (recommended) then make sure you wash it regularly. A dirty brush will spread bacteria and that's the last thing you want.

Bare minerals is a great product but some of it does have a slightly reflective pigment in it, which may look very slightly glittery/ shiny in certain lights- be careful to check this.

Make sure you get the right colour match and to test this apply a dab of foundation on your cheek and blend it over your jaw line. If you can see the colour difference you have the wrong shade.

Use a primer- MAC sell a good one. It creates a barrier between the make up and your face and will help to reduce make up clogging pores- and will make sure your make up stays on all day. (If you're using bare minerals this is not so important as it is non clogging).

And just a personal recommendation- I need heavy coverage and I use a lancome foundation- Its called "teint idole ultra". It's light but covers well and looks very natural. It has an SPF, has no reflective pigment, is oil free and stays on without retouching for up to 14 hours. I think it would be great for male skin.

ye cheers. Im also on accutane now, into my second month, im now using , bio oil, nivea tinted moisturizer and rimmel london natural mineral pressed powder. Theres only been a few people that have commented on me asking if i was wearing make up and i get so frustrated when they find out when i was using bare minerals foundation. Furthermore my skin does look natrural when i got it on and not cakey. I see nothing wrong in it myself and my girlfriend has no problems with me wearing it. ive seen a big improvement on my skin now can people are complementing how well my skin looks with what ive got on it etc. BIO OIL is amazing on accutane in my opinion, it hydrates, unevens skin tone and gets rid of red blemishes.

lily - i know what you mean about bare essentials being slightly glittery. i bought some a few weeks ago and put it on. when i went outside to see how it looked, it looked glittery and caked on. i was sooooo embarrassed and have been too afraid to try it again :(

are there any better products out there?

Scoobydoo- good luck with the accutane. I hope it works really well for you. And tinted moisturiser is a brilliant option if you want a light coverage, pressed powder will provide heavier coverage on top without looking caked. Definitely carry on with it if it's helping- and don't be embarrassed. Men use fake tan now and get away with it, I don't see why a bit of make up should be an issue. The more men who use it, the more it will become the norm so think of yourself as doing mankind a favour!

Cartwheeling monkey- I'd definitely say give the lance foundation a try that I mentioned before. It is 27.50 though so if you aren't too keen on forking that much out for a foundation then I would recommend one by rimmel which I find just as good but it's more than half the price. It's called Rimmel Match Perfection. It's a liquid foundation and it has an SPF too. I really like it and I think it would be great for you because again, it doesn't have any sparkly pigment.

You will find most mineral foundations do have a shine to them but most liquid foundations have a matte finish. This is what men should go for.

You can apply it straight to your face with clean fingers if you don't want to use a brush, then just make sure you blend it with a sponge applicator afterwards- that should give you even coverage. A good way to avoid getting the wrong colour is to apply a dab to the inside of your wrist and then going outside and checking in the natural daylight to see how well it matches your skin.

For women I usually say apply it to the jaw and go outside with a small mirror if you can, but I could understand that for a man you might feel awkward doing that. So the inside of your wrist would be the next best place. Dint apply it to your hand as the skin there will usually be darker than your face.

I would definitely say avoid MAC foundations as they can look very cakey and aren't good for your skin.

I have heard that clinique anti- blemish is very good for oily skin, but I have never used it myself.

Hope this has been helpful. Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any, and as before don't feel embarrassed about using make up- it can do wonders for your self esteem so it's got to be worth it.

Thank you very much lily. When im at work i think " oh no are these guys and looking at my face?" "Are they laughing at my face?" Its more of a paranoia now i think because one old time friend customer asked me if i was wearing foundation, but on that day i wasnt wearing the pressed powder and think i didnt moisturizer enough on accutane while applying the tinted moisturizer.

My routine after washing with mild cleanser, cetaphil

1. While face is still wet, apply bio oil onto the face and rub in in small circular motion.

2. Pat dry face until face is not greasy

3. Apply nivea tinted moisturizer, its seriously natural and provides exellent coverage.

4. For the shine from the moisturizer to die down, i apply face powder lightly with a puffy brush

5. Let face settle and get toilet roll/ kitchen roll to pat on my face to make shine even less.

At the supermarket at work it has very bright lights and some mirrors i think my skin is perefct no one could tell, other mirrors i think "uh oh, its not noticale no?" no one has ever commented on my afec expected that one guy. paranoia i think i need to get control of. Im glad my acne is improving tho :)

I can understand the paranoia- I get it myself sometimes still and I'm professional at applying make up! It's just so hard sometimes when your skin is bad to get the natural look you want. But your routine sounds really good to me- especially using the moisturiser. It's really important to do that, especially if your skin is a bit dry at the moment. Without a good moisturiser as a base foundation can sometimes look chalky or cakey. So maybe that's where you went wrong that one time, but it sounds like you have it down to a good technique now so you shouldn't worry. And if you haven't had any other comments I'm sure you must be making it look pretty natural.

I know exactly what you mean with the bright lights- they are not flattering at all- and although you may think it's showing your make up it's going to be more noticeable to you because you know it's there. I'm sure to anyone else it wouldn't be obvious.

On days when my skin is really bad and im caked in foundation and feeling a bit paranoid, I will ask my friends if they think it looks obvious and the answer is always no. I think it's definitely just a confidence thing and in time you will feel less self conscious.

Glad to hear your skin is improving- hopefully it will carry on getting better and soon you won't have any need for that make up!

cheers lily. youve made me think the right positive way and that self conciousnous is common and people who you think are judging you on your appeareance arent really talk about you. so even though the light are really bright it doesnt give off that your wearing it as much then? i think mirrors is another issue as well i think as lights reflect off them making your skin shiny.

No probs! Glad I've been able to reassure you a bit. It's a horrible feeling worrying about how you look.

Those bright lights will only show up make up badly if you have applied it badly. If you've missed patches, used the wrong colour or put too much on that's when it will show up. Otherwise, yes the bright lights will show your skin more but it would be the same for someone who isn't wearing make up, the only difference is you might see their freckles more easily, wrinkles, stray hairs, sun damage etc....

I work with models and their skin looks perfect in photos but under bright studio lights I can see all the broken veins and little blemishes which you wouldn't notice normally.

So either way, whether you are wearing make up or not, those lights are just unflattering. But if you've got well blended foundation on with even coverage I can guarantee your face will be looking a lot better under the lights than it would do if you're having a bad break out and don't have make up on.

And with the mirrors, under harsh lighting they are the enemy in my opinion! If you have something you don't like about your face whether it be your acne, your nose, your lips etc...the first thing you focus on is the feature you don't like. Unfortunately for the likes of us it's our skin. But if you take a step back from it and look at yourself from the distance that other people would see you from, you can then look at your face as a whole, in the way that other people will see it. And what you will see is just you- not your acne.

We are our own worst critics- acne is so damaging for our self esteem, but faces in my opinion are defined by features and expressions, not by acne. So that's what I try to remember every time I look in the mirror.