Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Back again after a mini-hiatus.

I am a 26 year old female. While I don't get the crazy inflamed zits anymore (unless I pick), I still feel like I am too old to be dealing with this! I have a healthy diet, exercise a TON, and sleep a lot (when I can).

A little bit of an update on my skin: It is actually pretty well-behaved for 90% of the month. Comedonal acne, oily skin, and a plethora of redmarks. However, around my period I have at LEAST 5-6 persistant cysts.

After a reallly bad breakout in July (major major stress...in a wedding, sister in rehab) I pretty much stopped using all topicals besides finacea. I was using M2 skin refinish and differin. I take 100 mg of spiro a day and also take Yasmin BCP

I think this is my sixth or seventh accutane course, can't recall. About half of those have been full courses (had to stop due to liver enzymes increasing). Derm decided we should consider doing another as was experiencing pretty nasty scaring. So here I am!!

Day 3

So far so good. My face is starting to get a rough texture, maybe slightly oillier than before but still slighty tight. I really am waiting for my skin to start drying out; sick of being a grease face....

Edited by mskitty

Moved to Accutane logs. You can also use the REPORT button to request that a post be moved.

Ugh, my skin is so disgusting right now!

It's a henious combo of greasy and parched AND broken out, which feels really gross and uncomfortable. My lips are starting to get dry although it may be due to the weather, not sure. Either way, I kinda wish I could just hide inside for a week or so :(

I have a few cysts on my face which oddly enough, don't bother me at the moment; its just the bumpy clogged pores that piss me off!!!

I have been taking my accutane with a glass of whole milk at night and HOLY CRAP! I feel like the medicine gets absorbed waaaay better with a super fatty beverage.

Trying to stay patient!

So I think technically this is Day 5.

Ugh.

My skin is beyond disgusting. All the oil that was in my pores is oozing out en mass; on top of that, I am starting to get red skin and flaking. My face was greased up today in like, an hour. It felt so gross and its actually worse than usual. Has this happened to anyone before?

I have been sprouting up cysts like none other. Prior to starting accutane, I was (temporarily) clear. Now I have one above my eye brow and like four on my chin. The good thing however is they seem to be coming/going fairly quickly which is good.

I feel so gross right now. I can deal (kinda) with the acne, but the acne + insane oil combo makes me feel dirty. I hope this goes away soon as I have a job interview friday! :)

Everyone hang in there! Think great thoughts! :)

Cat

P.S. What face-moisturizer are you all digging on? I use Cetaphil lotion and might need something heavier soon. I need something I can wear makeup over though is the issue :)

Edited by mskitty

I think this is day six or so...who knows!

My skin is still freaking out! I wouldn't mind dry skin, but I don't want both dry skin and oily skin! Still waiting for the oil to clear up. Soon I hope!

About the cysty whitehead under chin... I had to pop it!! It is painfull on top of looking disgusting and can't even really be covered my makeup

Ugh..

Does anyone read blog at all??? :(

Edited by mskitty

Hey MsKitty

WOW, I found someone who has done more rounds than me! I'm on my 4th course over

10 years. I get a few years of remission with each course and it seems each time

it creeps back it is much more mild. I would consider mine about the same as yours

Clear until that time of the month then a break out, then it's a week to heal, about

10 days of good skin and then the cycle starts over again.

totally hear you on the too old to be dealing with this stuff and sick of

living my life around my skin.

I have no advise as you are the expert on rounds of tane thats for sure.

I just want to wish you luck and hang in there

and I hope it's over for you soon.

Hi rocket! :) Glad to see someone is reading my blog! :)

My skin sounds very similiar to yours; after accutane, my skin is fine for about a year and then the cycle begins again, lol. I have a sinking feeling this will not be my last round of accutane though...my mom (who is post-menopausal) has had persistant cystic acne despite several accutane rounds also. I have a feeling for me it is largely genetic :(

I feel so embarassed when I am working (work at a college campus) and my skin is was worse than some of these 17/18 year olds. I just want to be able to get up and go and not have to worry about slapping concealer on all the time or worrying if my makeup is coming off...

Thanks for the well wishes...I am trying to stay positive but it can be hard sometimes :)

Cat

Hey MsKitty

WOW, I found someone who has done more rounds than me! I'm on my 4th course over

10 years. I get a few years of remission with each course and it seems each time

it creeps back it is much more mild. I would consider mine about the same as yours

Clear until that time of the month then a break out, then it's a week to heal, about

10 days of good skin and then the cycle starts over again.

totally hear you on the too old to be dealing with this stuff and sick of

living my life around my skin.

I have no advise as you are the expert on rounds of tane thats for sure.

I just want to wish you luck and hang in there

and I hope it's over for you soon.

Day 7

Ok, so even though my skin is worse today than it was yesterday, I think I may be through the worst of it.

My skin finally seems to have dried out and isn't oozing grease any longer. I actually had to slather on jojoba oil and cetaphil cream this afternoon. However, my face is starting to get red which I detest because it makes me look sunburned!

The cyst above my eyebrow is pretty much dead but still kinda looks gross (I picked it a little the other day!). The cyst/whitehead combo below my mouth keeps coming to a head and I stupidly keep trying to pop it. It isn't completely flat but doesn't hurt anymore and is starting to peel.

All the comedones I had on my cheeks are starting to come out. When massage my face with Dermalogica's Pre cleanse (to remove my makeup) I can actually SEE the clogs on my hands. Gross :)

Hope all my fellow accutane users are hanging in there! :)

Cat

Edited by mskitty

Im on day 6! This is my first go round with accutane.....hopefully my last. Will keep up with you and see how you are doing and your progress since we started right around the same time. Good luck to you :)

Im on day 6! This is my first go round with accutane.....hopefully my last. Will keep up with you and see how you are doing and your progress since we started right around the same time. Good luck to you :)

Well thanks :) Do you have a blog also that I may check out :)

Cat

Great, thanks so much ;)

yes, I just started my blog! Im new to this whole thing but just wanted to document progress for myself and others!

Day 10

Ok sorry for missing a few days in there, folks! Had a job interview and also working a TON. (and by the way...the interview went well!)

My skin has finally been dry/normal. It's not crazy dry just slightly dry. My last course I ended at 80 mg/day (for reference, I weigh 110 pounds), so the next appointment I go to, my derm is going to bump me up to 40 mg/day, woot.

My eyes are very red and dry and my scalp has also dried out a bit too. It's nice to put on my makeup and have it stay all day, though!

The chin zit from hell is gone but the healing skin keeps getting ripped off from washing my face, whoops! Other than that spot, my face is completely clear and smooth (albeit very red).

So question for the ladies with long hair...what are you using on your hair? I need a low sulfate shampoo to remove sweat from my hair (I work out daily). I have fine hair so I need something light and will actually CLEAN my hair, but not strip it. Any suggestions? :)

Cat

Edited by mskitty

Day 14

Wow, two weeks already!

Forgive me in the lapse in my blog; I just got over being really sick :(

So far, so good. Been getting small breakouts which is awesome since I haven't been getting the big nasties! Woot!! My skin is pretty much normal, not oily or dry. Only side affects so far are dry eyes, skin rashes (on body), and slightly dry eyes.

That's all for now; I promise to be more vigilant about updating my log!! :P

Cat

Day 16

Nothing too new to report. Getting a few mild breakouts on my forehead where I never break out anymore! Also have a few clogged pores on my cheeks and nose that I have picked a little :( Had been doing really well about not picking my skin but some of these zits that are drying up are begging to be popped! Must resist the urge! lol :)