Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joris

GM salmon... and now: GM cows!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/26/business/26salmon.html

http://truefoodnow.org/2010/08/27/coalitio...fish/#more-1367

This salmon is genetically modified with a gene of a other fish species. I thought i heard it will have increased levels of IGF1 and produces it in the winter. So it will grow quicker. When this gets approved of course we'll get a slippery slope. Before we know it they have GMO cows etc... Well get higher IGF-1 levels in our bodys (bad for acne and health) and a lot more other stuff.

I wanted to find a link where they talk about it more medically but I couldnt really find one.

Escaped GE salmon can pose an additional threat – genetic pollution resulting from what scientists call the “Trojan gene†effect.†Research published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences notes that a release of just sixty GE salmon into a wild population of 60,000 would lead to the extinction of the wild population in less than 40 generations.
Edited by joris ヘ(^_^ヘ)(ノ^_^)ノ

I heard about this...I was pretty depressed after reading about it since they'll probably do this too more animals. However, for fish, it doesn't really make a difference to me since I never buy anything labeled farm raised and let me tell you they're going to make sure those fish don't get into the ocean because they'd be suing people up the ass for "violating" their patent. Plus, any farm raised fish is probably fed CORN and their own feces so yeah...they will probably get no profits unless the fish is practically free. Salmon is almost always expensive and people interested in buying it are most likely willing to put out the extra couple bucks for wild-alaskan.

The big threat here is the extinction of normal salmon if even one of these GMO Salmon gets out into the wild. One is guaranteed to "accidentally" escape, when you consider how much profit someone is set to make if they "own" fish. Cheyenne why would it be bad if they get to sue people? The entire GMO movement is a manufactured lawsuit. Don't think they aren't prepared.

With all this shit happening to our world i'm starting to think some humans are GMOs. Bred with no concept of right and wrong. How else can we explain such destruction? Seriously, someone tell me. Enough ranting I need some fresh air. (if I can find some)

well said buck , but I think she ment with the sueing the person who leeks them. Heres the problem, they dont know that probably. The farmer might even dont know if one does. And if some escape hes not so stupid to tell anyone. that will eventualy led to 60. And the end of normal salmon. The only salmon you can eat will be non gmo farm salmon...

Yeah but I believe they are going to keep them in tanks that are not connected to the ocean to guarantee that they won't escape. However, that would probably change eventually and then we wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I meant it was bad if they started suing people all over the place because then the non-gmo fishers will be bankrupt and fish prices for wild fish will skyrocket etc, etc.

I meant it was bad if they started suing people all over the place because then the non-gmo fishers will be bankrupt and fish prices for wild fish will skyrocket etc, etc.

I'm sure it will be similar to how Monsanto has a choke hold on the GM seed situation in the United States.

What an interesting path our world is taking. Kind of shocking when you think about these revolutions (surely what they will be called in history books) that have been happening so rapidly. I'm depressed/curious/angry to see where the world ends up in 50-70 years.

In a way, I cannot help being more than a bit sickly curious at all the (un)intended consequences that will result from these creatures. Whenever humans try to engineer "food", a bunch of negative health consequences result, ones that no company, of course, will ever cop to. This should prove interesting.

Human breast milk from cows. Yummy. :confused: When our carton of human breast milk runs low in the refrigerator, I wonder if that means we can ask lactating women to refill it for us? :think:

Edited by Dotty1