Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello!

I have struggled with pretty bad acne since I was 13, I have moderate acne on my face but the worst is on my shoulders and back, with some on my upper arms.

I have tried prescribed ointments and what not from my GP, as well as 2 courses of Oxytetracyclin (i think that how you spell it??).

The drugs did appear to clear up my face slightly but not significantly and my back had no change at all.

The acne on my back is a real problem for me and I'm really self concious of it.. I know I shouldn't be but i'm nervous taking my shirt off at the beach purely because on the spots.. I've also had some awful occasions where for some reason a spot on my back has bled, when I just happend to be wearing a white T-shirt and yeh.. you get the idea. Very embaressing.

Girls also aren't keen on spots and as an 18 year old this can be frustrating!! :/

Any-who I've been prescribed 40mg/day ISOTRETINOIN (not accutane) by my derm, i think this appears to be a fairly low dose to start compared to others on this forum as I weigh around 80kg.. What do you guys think?

I intend to stock up now on the best moisturiser and lip balm out there and from these forums I believe these to be:

- Cerave intensive moisturiser (i think it's called that)

- Aquaphor for lips (i think..haha)

I've enclosed some pictures from the day before i started my isotretinoin course.

I'm currently on day 5 and have realised this is going to be a long and arduous journey and therefore I need all your support!! :D

So far I have experienced.. well no side effects really.. lips aren't chapped, eyes aren't dry, no flaking.. hmm odd.

Oh also I will be uploading pictures of before i started accutane and regular monthly (or sooner) progress pics!

post-138745-1286035078_thumb.jpg

post-138745-1286035106_thumb.jpg

post-138745-1286035125_thumb.jpg

post-138745-1286035078_thumb.jpg

post-138745-1286035106_thumb.jpg

post-138745-1286035125_thumb.jpg

Edited by spots_go_away

I've almost finished Month 1.

I'm also on 40mg and I weigh about the same. And I'm 18!

I totally relate to you.

I'm also from Australia if that makes any difference? :P

I will be following closely :)

Hey ben, I actually read your log a fair bit before I started my course! Haha

Yes the fact you're from australia makes you cool :)

I read you had trouble shaving.. Its that still a problem? Since I've had bad spots all through puberty I don't actually know what it feels like to have a proper shave.. Its so frustrating!

Just out of interest when did you have your initial breakout? And is it still ongoing?

Day 5 update

My lower back is a little achey... must be caused by the accutane.. I've read people take glucosamine for this but I'm used to aches and pains as I play alot of sport and I'd like to avoid more drugs/supplements if possible.. if it becomes too sore I will i guess..

Skin is itchy today which must mean it's drying out, I've also noticed some very light flaking..

Lips are drier today but haven't started cracking or anything yet... though I know they will :/

I wanted to ask you guys a question:

I wear contacts and was wondering if the dryness of the eyes that you get eventually makes wearing contact lenses impossible?

I'd like to avoid my glasses at all costs.. they look so LAME. I guess I could get some artificial tears when they get dry and itchy..

I wear the 2 weekly disposable lenses.. so maybe I could get some dailies if my eyes get really bad..

What are your experiences with accutane and dry eyes/contact lenses?

Cheers Guys!

Edited by spots_go_away

I wear contacts and was wondering if the dryness of the eyes that you get eventually makes wearing contact lenses impossible?

I'd like to avoid my glasses at all costs.. they look so LAME. I guess I could get some artificial tears when they get dry and itchy..

I wear the 2 weekly disposable lenses.. so maybe I could get some dailies if my eyes get really bad..

What are your experiences with accutane and dry eyes/contact lenses?

Cheers Guys!

I'm in my third month and still wearing my contacts daily. I use eyedrops twice a day. My eyes really only bother me when I wake up in the morning - sticky and gritty. But BAM - two drops in each, and good to go.

Good luck on your course, Jason!

I'm gonna be honest I dont know if I've had my Initial Breakout yet...It's the same severity as when I started...

As for shaving I manually shaved like 3 days in...I don't think my skin liked it :S

So now I have a electric shaver with a sideburn trimmer on it.

I use the sideburn trimmer to do my whole face. It isn't SUPER close but it's close enough that it's hard to see. Plus it doesn't rape my face and flare it up.

I suppose it might just be my face...

Good luck anyway :)

Well I managed a hap-hazard shave.. i have stubble dotted around my acne.. i hate bleeding when i shave.. it never stops bleeding and the acne gets so so bad.. :/

DAY 6

Today I have an itchy head and face.. I'm using anti dandruff shampoo and some random moisturizer.

The moisturizer proabably isn't the best but I don't really want to shell out on more moistruizer till i need it..

By they way can you buy cetaphil, aquaphor and all that jazz in the uk? I hadn't heard of them before reading about them on peoples' logs..

Lips are chapped now so applying chapstick regularly..

Does the itchy skin get more itchy as the course progresses? Cuz that would suckkkkkkk.

i have an important exam tomorrow and kinda stressing about revision.. hope that doesn't spark a bitch of an IB :/ we shall see...

Hey Jason...just stoppin by to wish ya luck!

me and Anymourproblems are at about the same point I have 3 days left of month 1 then its on to month 2 and a higher dosage.

From my experience heres some tips and advice for ya cause i started on 40mg as well...and we weigh about the same.

-Aquaphor for your lips, this is no joke and it works better then any chapstick you can get. Since your from the UK they may not have the same one but something similar. Anyway its made by a company called Eucerin.

-Just get any non-pore clogging moisturizer just incase your face gets a bit flaky...my problem areas were under my nose and my jawline. But its controllable.

-Dont expect extreme results as it is only month 1, and prepare for an initial breakout (However you may not get one). My initial breakout started early, around day 7-8...and lasted about a week. After that it just went back to my normal breakouts every couple of days. For me I havent seen dramatic improvement this month, but almost all my blackheads in my nose are gone (I had alot) and I've noticed I have less under the skin bumps in my problem areas.

- Last but most important...DONT GET DISCOURAGED! I know its hard to say what the hell when is this gonna work already...but just know you have a community of thousands if not more people who are going through what you are and worse. You're never alone in your struggle with accutane.

Good luck and I'll be keeping up!

Well I managed a hap-hazard shave.. i have stubble dotted around my acne.. i hate bleeding when i shave.. it never stops bleeding and the acne gets so so bad.. :/

DAY 6

Today I have an itchy head and face.. I'm using anti dandruff shampoo and some random moisturizer.

The moisturizer proabably isn't the best but I don't really want to shell out on more moistruizer till i need it..

By they way can you buy cetaphil, aquaphor and all that jazz in the uk? I hadn't heard of them before reading about them on peoples' logs..

Lips are chapped now so applying chapstick regularly..

Does the itchy skin get more itchy as the course progresses? Cuz that would suckkkkkkk.

i have an important exam tomorrow and kinda stressing about revision.. hope that doesn't spark a bitch of an IB :/ we shall see...

Hey again. about the itching, I found the first few weeks awful. my scalp and face were really bad. Neutrogena t gel for itchy scalp is the only thing that works for me. It does die down a bit but I still have days where my arms itch! would suggest getting a good conditioner too, V05 is on offer in tesco for a pound at the mo. it is amazing, it contains jojoba and other oils.

Cetaphil is available online or in Lloyds pharmacy. I suggest you get the cleanser and the moisturiser. They last ages so they are worth the money. If you cant afford them, then get to boots or tesco and buy Simple hydrating moisturiser and cleanser. Both are really good and sooo cheap!

Aquaphor is available on ebay. it is better than vaseline and it is great for the lips but in all honest I find lypsil chapstick amazing. it does a far better job than blistex or carmex - dont waste your money with these (in my opinion).

hope this helps!!

Hey Jay, cheers for the support and info man, yeh i scoured the net for aquaphor and only found it on ebay with a huge delivery charge so i'm guna get some burts bees or whatever its called cuz i can buy that here in england.

Hey Dell, wow cheers for that info! yeh my head is so freaking itchy i'm guna pick some of that neutrogena stuff up and those moistruizers too..

I also found that Boots sell burts bees which some people talk about on here so i'll try that instead of paying for aquaphor..

Edited by spots_go_away

Hey man, thanks for the info it makes a lot of sense. I wish the best to you on your Accutane journey !! Remember ALWAYS have chap stick with you!

Be goood,

Mike

Day 7

So its been a week.. Skin is equally as dry as the last few days

I seem to be keeping the dry lips at bay by liberally applying chap stick every few hours

Eyes are really dry and sting today.. This may be due to staying up late last night revising for my big test today..

Though I don't care because I did really well in my test.. Hopefully I'll get into uni this year :D

Edited by spots_go_away

Day 10

Dry skin and lips aren't annoying me as much as when they first started to kick in.. i guess i've just got used to them

still haven't really noticed a difference in my skin other than a slight flare up of the acne and redness

the acne on my back appears slightly less spread but more pronounced, it seems to be raised more from the skin.

I also got burt's bees chap stick which is LUSH. (people from the UK you can buy this in Boots)

The day I got it my lips were really dry and cracked and after applying it a few times by the end of the day they were soft and more or less healed again. This chap stick also soothes your lips, in the same way Vicks soothes your chest which is cool :)

Contact lenses are still fine to wear atm even though my eyes are dry.. I'm finding I have to take them out around 5pm, when they become just too uncomfortable compared to before accutane when I could wear them all day no worries. But meh.. I can live with that.

My next derm appointment is in 6 weeks! Kind of a long time to wait to hopefully get bumped up to 80mg, as I think this dose is too low for me - my skin is dry but is barely flaking at all..

I've also noticed I'm quite tired all the time.. and I just want to go to sleep as soon as I get home.. hmmm

I'll upload 2 week pics in 4 days :P

Edited by spots_go_away

Finally another dude! j/k although most of the logs i see are from girls. I feel its a little different for us we cant cover it up as much with makeup and what not and one of the things that popped out at me from the side effect list was the potnetial muscle and joint problems and i work out a lot (or rather did before my acne started getting severe recently) and i was always concerned about weather id have to take it down a notch or to not engage in heavy lifting as i already had minor joint issues in my wrist and im worried the Tane could make it worse.

Neways good luck with your a little further in than i am so i will be checking up.

completely agree with you on being tired ALL the time now. it's like i get home from work around 2-3...and i could pass out by 6-7....i just seem to love sleep more and more.

keep on truckin bud, the weeks fly by if you dont even think about being accutane even though its so damn hard with all these constant reminders (side effects). hope stuff looks up for you sooner then later ill still be keeping up with ya.

Hey there, I wear contacts too and I think I may have experienced a little more haziness at night time than usual. Did you get this? I'm on day 4 btw

Hey Casio urm no i didn't notice much haziness.. maybe a little bit but the most annoying thing is my eyes stinging.. its a combo of being really tired all the time and the dry eyes.. so annoying.

Day 11

Lips are in such a state.. They were chapped before but now they are fully cracked and sting whenever I smile/eat food. I'm using burt's bees.. it seems to working a bit to stop them cracking further but isnt really healing them.. plus it hurts like an absolute bitch when I put it on.

Everyday now when I wake up my lips are dry and sore, even though I put lip balm on before i go to bed. I also have a kind of beard when i wake up... not composed of stubble or hair but of dry flaky skin. HOT!

Nothing to report on my skin - no noticeable goings-on at all.

I guess when i was reading up on accutane before I started my course i though it was the severity and multitude of the side effects that made the drug hard to cope with. I'm finding the side effects uncomfortable, but bearable. The hard thing to cope with is the fact that you are constantly aware and made uncomfortable by the mild side effects, EVERY day. IMO thats what's hard about accutane and I'm only on 40mg/day!! :/

It's 9:30pm and I'm going to bed. SOOOOO tired. fucking accutane.

Edited by spots_go_away

DAY 27

Heyyyy guys sorry i haven't updated in a few weeks just been busy with school etc..

The acne on my back seems to have cleared up a bit, skin is a bit smoother but still has loads of red marks..

Acne on my face is still pretty bad tbh..

One corner of my lips has fully cracked and smiling is so so painful.. I want to be optimistic.. but it physically hurts! haha

Nose has also started to get sore, i hope it settles down..

I definitely haven't reached the 'blackhead cleansing' stage. This really frustrates me as I've read on other peoples' blogs of their blackheads just falling out after only 2 weeks..

My blackheads really annoy me.. I have quite a few big ones on my cheeks + chin and just want them gone!

They do seem alot more raised to the touch though.. as if they are being gently pushed out.. ewwwwwwwww.

I did promise progress pictures but my phone is being lame so maybe tomorrow if it decides to behave itself.. :/

Edited by spots_go_away

my black heads annoy the shit outta me too, they r huge on my nose/chin/some on cheeks and forehead. im on day 19 and i haven't reached that stage yet. this is my second course if i can remember, it didn't happen till like month 2 so dont worry itll come.

Thanks for your input Xkell that's reassuring to know!

Here's a few picture updates after 4 weeks on 40mg. I would call them progress pictures but I feel my face has made no or negative progress - my left jawline is pretty bad. :(

Though my back is clearing :dance:

post-138745-1287956173_thumb.jpg

post-138745-1287956491_thumb.jpg

post-138745-1287956502_thumb.jpg

post-138745-1287956518_thumb.jpg

post-138745-1287956173_thumb.jpg

post-138745-1287956491_thumb.jpg

post-138745-1287956502_thumb.jpg

post-138745-1287956518_thumb.jpg

Edited by spots_go_away

DAY 33

Skins sucks atm..

Blackheads still there.

Jawline is still bad and inflamed.

Skin is rough as hell.

This dose is not high enough, at all. I think I've only EVER moisturised twice in 33 days of treatment on 40mg/day there's not really any need to. I really wanna see progress on my face... my back has cleared somewhat but my face is still bad..

I have a blood test on 18th of November, and a doctor's appointment on the 22nd.

Well... I say doctor's appointment but the letter says I will be seeing a senior nurse and not a derm.. Can a nurse authorise a higher dosage on a doctor's behalf?? I reallllly hope so...

I mean it seems unlikely that a nurse would be able to.. but the derm may have said just make sure his side effects aren't bad then you can bump him up if his bloods are good??

Hmm I don't know.. Has anyone else been told to take a higher dosage by a nurse? Or has it always been a derm?

Thanks for being here guys :shifty:

J