Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hannahmarion

Microdermabrasion with hydrafacial for closed comedones?

Hi everyone. I have a case of mild-moderate closed comedones mostly on my cheek bones. These buggers just are not going away! On Tuesday I am getting diamond tip microdermabrasion with a hyrdrafacial. Most likely I will do a series of 5-6 treatments every other week. Anyone have positive results with microdermabrasion for closed comedones?

Here's some pictures.... some of the redness is from picking. I know picking is so bad... but it's an ocd thing. trying to stop and have a book called the Habit Change Workbook. Also have heard facials help pickers. Praying that the microderm and hydra sessions will even my skin tone and roughness and get rid of some of these closed comedones.

post-136810-1286045073_thumb.jpg

post-136810-1286045108_thumb.jpg

post-136810-1286045073_thumb.jpg

post-136810-1286045108_thumb.jpg

Why not just go to a derm for a topical retinoid gel? That would take care of roughness, discoloration, and comedones.

Microdermabrasion is all well and good but chemical exfoliation is better in my opinion. Chemical exfoliation as in: retinoids, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, etc.

Your skin is very pretty as it is. :P

Thanks ladies! I just showed the sides but I also have a bit on the apples of my cheeks, chin and forehead! I will try some glycolic acid. Infact I have a quality ren glycolic mask here that I could start trying. I think SA is the reason I have these suckers. I slathered it on too much. Also my exfoliation hit a road bump this summer when I switched exfoliators from a quality mechanical to a very weak chemical exfoliant(it was crap). Hoping time and the right products/ procedures will prevail.

Edited by hannahmarion

I don't have acne but my younger brother does. So far he's done two hydrafacial treatments. At first he was reluctant to the idea of going to a med spa, but now I think he's cool with it because he is going back next week to get his 3rd hydrafacial. The treatment really helped to clear up the acne on his face and his back/shoulder area. We can tell that his skin is less red, pores are clean, a lot less blackheads and whiteheads, and doesn't have as much new breakouts. He said he felt that his face is less oily but a lot more hydrated.

Thanks ladies! I just showed the sides but I also have a bit on the apples of my cheeks, chin and forehead! I will try some glycolic acid. Infact I have a quality ren glycolic mask here that I could start trying. I think SA is the reason I have these suckers. I slathered it on too much. Also my exfoliation hit a road bump this summer when I switched exfoliators from a quality mechanical to a very weak chemical exfoliant(it was crap). Hoping time and the right products/ procedures will prevail.

I decided not to go for the derma/hyrda. After Wynnes advice I went to the derma. Only problem is I picked my skin and it was really red and irritated. I told her my whitehead issue and that normally my face is not so inflammed/ does not have too much issues with redness. Well she seemed to think that I have rosacea and prescribed Finacea. Also she prescribed some differin for my acne. I researched differin and I guess its not a retnoid but a sort of like one? What the hell- I wanted the real deal! Basically I think she sucked. Not only did I have to wait in the office for an hour.. she didn't listen and misdiagnosed me. She wasn't even a dr. but a nurse practitioner.. not to say that sometimes they can't be great but ughhh. I shouldn't have picked it so much before my appointment. I may even just wait a few more weeks and go see another derma. But I also am curious if this stuff might help but dont want to make it worse from misdiagnose. Uggghhh what to do!?

Gosh, I think your skin is really nice...OK you have a few tiny pimples and a few blocked pores, but overall, your skin is really clear with nice even skin tone.

I don't know...it seems so many people on this board (myself included) start treatments and it gives them a bad breakout and then things just go in a downwards spiral.

If I had basically good skin like yours, I think I'd avoid any harsh topicals (Differin I believe is a retinoid; retinoids are harsh and can make people break out more at first).

The Finacea is also an acne cream (I'm just starting it) which has less harsh side effects than a retinoid, so using a TINY bit of that once a day might be OK. You are meant to apply it all over your face though, not just spot treat.

But honestly, if I were you I'd maybe look into having some regular facials at a good salon (an esthetician could extract hard plugs properly) and go back to your good exfoliator that worked for you before.

Just my opinion.

Edited by UKLady

I decided not to go for the derma/hyrda. After Wynnes advice I went to the derma. Only problem is I picked my skin and it was really red and irritated. I told her my whitehead issue and that normally my face is not so inflammed/ does not have too much issues with redness. Well she seemed to think that I have rosacea and prescribed Finacea. Also she prescribed some differin for my acne. I researched differin and I guess its not a retnoid but a sort of like one? What the hell- I wanted the real deal! Basically I think she sucked. Not only did I have to wait in the office for an hour.. she didn't listen and misdiagnosed me. She wasn't even a dr. but a nurse practitioner.. not to say that sometimes they can't be great but ughhh. I shouldn't have picked it so much before my appointment. I may even just wait a few more weeks and go see another derma. But I also am curious if this stuff might help but dont want to make it worse from misdiagnose. Uggghhh what to do!?

Finacea is not just for rosacea; it's azelaic acid and it also works as an exfoliant. it's pretty darned good according to some reviews I've read. One of our moderators even uses it.

Differin is a synthetic retinoid that's not as hard on the skin as other retinoids. Many people have nice results with it. Please read the following post on how topical retinoids work and why patience and perseverance is required when using topical retinoids: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Info-reti...ial-t98395.html Please also realize that at least three months on the medication is required for noticing full benefit. You may experience an 'initial breakout' (explained in previous link) that's due to the purging effect of retinoids.

It may be overkill to use both for your very mild case!

Yes I agree it all seems a bit intense for the issues I am having. I was reading more on finacea and did find it is supposed to help with acne. Some people said yes it their unclogged pores and others said no it doesn't. Got big pluses for inflammation issues which I get if I pick. I guess I will just have to give it a whirl. I didn't use the differin yet because I am bit scared. I don't mind an initial purging of the skin a month or more. I just don't want it to mess my skin up for 3+ months or permanently. Is this possible? The nurse practitioner wants me to apply finacea 2times a day and the differin every night. As of right now I am just using the finacea. I guess what bothers me is that I told her my skin was so bad because of the picking and she fluffed it off after having me wait an hour. I explained it looked pretty awful because I messed with it super bad(see the picture). I can understand why she would think my acne was so bad but she should of listened to me. Now I don't trust what she gave me. Is it ok to use the differin a couple times a week and the finacea once a day? I know I am fine with using the finacea once a day. What about the differin sporadically ? Thanks for the responses!

post-136810-1287204120_thumb.jpg

post-136810-1287204252_thumb.jpg

post-136810-1287204120_thumb.jpg

post-136810-1287204252_thumb.jpg

Edited by hannahmarion

I am very excited I think I may have figured out the culprit for my mild acne. Upon discovering that acne cosmetica can take three months or more to form..all indications lead to the chanel vita lumiere foundation I have been using! I thought a reaction would occur in a matter of weeks... surely not months! So I discarded the chanel as the reason behind the skin change. I Started the Chanel in March and by June my skin started with the closed comedones. I am so glad that today I ran out this stuff! I will not repurchase and will go back to using my after glow mineral foundation. Can anyone else second my acne cosmetica theory?

Hi, never tried that foundation so not sure.

I don't think it'd be a great idea to use Differin a few times a week (or at all). Just try the Finacea, small amount, once a day and see.

As my dr said to me, if you start using different topicals at the same time and your skin reacts badly, then you don't know where you are or what's the culprit.

Just from what I have read on here, I think a retinoid like Differin is more likely to mess your skin up than Finacea and as your skin is really pretty good, why risk that.

That is a really excellent point about using too many new products at once. You really can't pinpoint what the individual products have done for good or bad. I can say that this finacea has helped a lot with the redness from picking! My husband even noticed.. now that's saying something. Now I just have to see its effects on the closed comedones. I will just use the script for the finacea and give it well over a month before I add something else to the regime.