Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Beauregard

What are the most popular prescription acne meds today?

It's been about 10 years since I was on retin a. Is this still a viable option for a 26 year old to get back on? I don't have bad skin, but I get acne more than I would like to.

What are your recommendations or suggestions for a 26 year old male, with average acne problems?

Everyone's skin is different, so you just have to find out what works for you.

I'm 25 and have had acne since I was 16, and the only things that have ever really worked for me are benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin... that's why I use BenzaClin (actually the generic now, which is about 10-20% less effective for me, but cheaper).

That Proactiv sulfur mask also worked while I used it, but it smelled funky and the rest of the regimen didn't really do anything for me (despite being based on BP).

The first time I went to a doctor for my skin, he prescribed antibiotics.

When that didn't work, I got retinoids - I've tried Retin-A-Micro, tretinoin cream, and Differin.

Recently, I also asked my doctor for a Duac prescription to use alongside the Differin.

The only thing is, retinoids will almost always cause an initial breakout, so you're going to have to be willing to go through that for a while (a few weeks/months).