Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neonneon

topical or oral antibiotic?

Hi people, this is my first post.

My doctor prescribed me a topical solution called "Topicil" for my acne problem. It contains 1% clindamycin and alchohol. He told me since it is an antibiotic, it can not be used for more than 2 months. I am on the end of 1st month, and I think the effectiveness is dying down now.

My doctor also told me that if the topical solution does not work, he will prescribe me doxy on the next visit.

So my question is: both of them (doxy and clindamycin) are same: antibiotic. Does it mean that oral antibiotic shall work better than topical one?

Antibiotics arent really the way to go I think, not for long term.

Doctors really dont have a clue when it comes to acne, they prescribe antibiotics which do work but obviously theyre gonna come back when the course has finished or a resistance has been built up. Its as if they just wanna get rid of us by throwing us the most basic thing in medicine and hope we dont come back.

But to answer your question, I believe oral antibiotics are always better since they work internally at a more gradual rate.

Antibiotics are used to clean the face in problematic cases. They are not permanent solution. Tipically, better is to take oral antibiotics for three months (lets say) and from there find a regimen.

Thanks for the infos. I learnt about that too. I found that acne is like a fire, once it is started, difficult to tame down.

Right now the plan is to clear up things, then to keep close watch once it is cleared

Edited by neonneon

i refuse to take oral ABs but did start acanya a few days ago and plan to use it until i clear up and then switch to Dans BP for the long run as well as Retin-A Micro for awhile

I strongly suggest adding in benzoyl peroxide to your skin care regimen. BP will keep the bacteria from developing a resistance to clindamycin because it kills them in a way that no bacteria can develop resistance to. Bacteria can develop a resistance to clindamycin. Clindamycin is also implicated in several different problems like antibiotic resistant colitis so if you develop diarrhea, stop the clindamycin immediately and call your doctor.

You can use BP in a cleanser (I like Oxy's BP wash) or use a 2.5% or 5% BP topical. I do greatly encourage it.