Cheese

Crisps (potato chips)

Chips (fries)

Binge eating

Drinking lots of fluids straight after meals

Non diet --

Touching my face

Eye drops

Sweat (if not washed within a few hours)

Wbu?

Guest Timehealsall

how do you know these things are the EXACT things that break you out? Did you test them individually for months to make sure (dont pimples form in a few weeks?)

anything and everything

for me there is no escape lol

perhaps if i was to stick my head in a fire and get 5th degree burns all over my face, that would be enough to destroy all of my pores and therefore not get acne

although, i dunno how i'd look with the burns..

Edited by Grind

I think the things that break me out are...

-Dairy

- Sugar (although sugar gives me smaller spots)

That's it really...alcohol has never broken me out.

-Dairy

-Hormone-abundant food

-Sugar

-Processed junk

-Soda

-Etc

Looks like they all fall under the umbrella of "garbage" that I don't need.

Dairy

White bread

Some sugars

processed foods

too many vitamins

Wheat

and alcohol breaks me out BAD. After drinking alcohol immediately my face turns 3x more red and pimples become inflammed.

Edited by Thehoper

Dairy

and alcohol breaks me out BAD. After drinking alcohol immediately my face turns 3x more red and pimples become inflammed.

Skin flushing and breaking out are two different things. Which is it?

Your skin becomes flushed (especially if you're Asian-- it's called "asian flush") when you drink alcohol no matter what.

Edited by Mirrfiak

Nuts of all kinds

peanut butter(love it!)

sunflower seeds and oil

seseme seeds and oil

ham and sausage(love those too!)

bananas, not really sure

Elf

OP lists all my favorite foods.

However I have come to realise that for me it may be fruit juices. In an attempt to take in more fruit I sometimes drink a lot. Even with natural (no added sugar) fruit juices I get the same feeling in my face a few hours later as if to say "you're gonna pay for that when you wake up tomorrow" and I usually do.

Everything in the OP but I have a sneaking suspicion peanut butter does too, but I love it waaaay to much to give it up. It also makes up about 500 of my daily calories :D

STRESS (cystic acne, ahoy!)

sugar

too much dairy (a little bit is OK)

grains

junk food (salty, processed oils)

certain topicals, moisturisers and supplements

Well practically nothing immediately "breaks me out". But I know exactly what habits or foods/things tend to put me down the path of acne formation.

I am so honed in on my diet and lifestyle these days, I can feel when I am going to have a pimple before the actual spot even shows up.

Worst offenders for me:

- Refined sugar- bottom line worst thing for me. I am very much a meat/fat/veggie metabolic type. I can get away with a fair bit of fruit though, as long as I am exercising.

- Excess carbohydrates in starchy form. I can eat lots of squash, sweet potato with little issues, but any grains in excess tend to make me acneic. Could be a gut-damaging type issue, or a GI/GL issue. But I mostly avoid grains these days. Lots of carbs + relatively inactive day = acneic. Carbs+exercise = not so much.

- Wheat. Something about wheat. Even though I don't eat grains really, I can have a few traditional barley-malt beers with no issues. But if I have wheat beer I feel terrible. I haven't eaten any wheat-based bread, pasta, cracker, etc in about 8 months, and I have had (mostly) flawless skin for the past 7 months or so... don't think it's just coincidence.

- Any vegetable oil and foods containing them. Though I really don't ever eat any of these anyway. Avoid processed foods and there is no issue here.

- Dairy (I can eat lots of butter though) I am not against consumption of dairy products, in fact I think some dairy products are absolute optimal foods- I just stay away from them because they tend to make my skin more acneic. I like to have good, traditional european cheese from time to time (brie, real parmesan, manchego, english bleus etc) and I feel fine eating these, but they just make me acneic.

- Citrus (grapefruit, orange and lemon mostly) tend to make me very itchy and might lead to some small skin manifestations. I have dealt with eczema in the past and I think citrus might be a slight contributor to that. Peaches and other stone fruit sortof do this too.

- Compounding lack of, or poor-quality sleep. One or two nights of poor sleep, no big deal. But too much crappy sleep is a BIG interrelator to my skin quality.

- Excessive protein (especially in the absence of adequate fat). I am all for consumption of high-quality animal foods. I think they are biologically programmed into human's metabolic needs. But too much dry, fat-less protein like boneless/skinless chicken breast for some reasons gives me lesions on my forehead+temple. Bottom line- you need fat to digest protein. I try to keep my meat portions to about 5-6oz per meal, but unlimited fat and cholesterol. 2-3 eggs in the morning, 4.5oz of sardines lunch, 5oz grass-fed beef dinner. I feel best eating lots of fish- sardine lunch, big hunk of wild salmon for dinner.

Not sure how/why this post got so long.

Oh yeah, and gotta get that sunshine. I was living in Hawaii for the first 5 months of this year, then came back to CO by late May- so I've been in "summer" for basically the whole past 9 months. I am interested to see how my skin holds up through this winter. I might be doing some diet adjustment, as well as some vitamin D supplementation.

Edited by Drizzler

What the OP said!

Also, I think peanuts, cashews, and probably spicy foods (I'm Korean, so that stinks. I love kimchi!)

I think when I am clear, I will reintroduce yogurt, but I know that cheese is no good for me.

Too much salty foods (I once sat and ate a whole thing of seasoned seaweed as a snack. Augh, mini pimple breakout!)

Booze doesn't necessarily break me out but I think it slows down the healing

Wheat/gluten: whenever I eat it, I get very mucusy, and according to traditional chinese medicine, mucus is a damp heat, and so is acne. Screw you damp heat.

Sugar/candy

Caffeine (cutting out coffee made a big difference in my over all complexion).

Stress/not doing enough gentle exercise

Definitely overeating (I love food. And I don't really gain weight from overeating. But my face tells the whole story).

Here's to avoiding our triggers!

Heres what breaks me out -

Diet --

White bread

Chocolate

Cheese

Crisps (potato chips)

Chips (fries)

Binge eating

Drinking lots of fluids straight after meals

Non diet --

Touching my face

Eye drops

Sweat (if not washed within a few hours)

Wbu?

This (although I don't use eye drops so I don't know if they break me out).

I feel like taking meds like Motrin or Claratin breaks me out. I noticed a different in my overall well-being when I quit Claratin.

All gluten breaks me out, but that's because I have Celiac.

Refined carbs

Sugar

Too many carbs, not enough fat

Not enough veggies

Fish Oil

Peanuts

Green Tea

Caffeine in general

Dairy

Not enough exercise

Stressstressstress

Not enough sleep

Topically:

Silicones in makeup/primers

Sulfates

Touching x10000

Any oil except for Castor oil

Healthy eating+Yoga/exercise+Dan's Regimen and LOTS OF MOISTURIZER+deep breathing/stress management+adequate sleep=clear skin!

Dan's regimen for me is more or less a buffer for when things are beyond my control since I'm a college student. Late nights, coffee, stress, no time for exercise...I can't help those things (yes, coffee is inevitable. Try pulling an all-nighter and being on time for an 8 o'clock class). It helps me to either not break out, or not break out as badly from those things. Also, once in a while when I'm with my friends and I have some sort of sugary thing, I can do so with less guilt.

That pretty much covers it :]

Dairy

Skin flushing and breaking out are two different things. Which is it?

Your skin becomes flushed (especially if you're Asian-- it's called "asian flush") when you drink alcohol no matter what.

Not Asian at all. Irish, Italian and french. Yeah it's weird, but my skin hates beer and any alcohol.

The only thing that directly breaks me out is citrus due to a food intolerance.

Other than food intolerances, it's habitual intake of blood sugar elevating, inflammatory, nutrient deficient foods and other lifestyle habits that break me out.

And I promise you, it's the same for most of you. Unless you are intolerant to wheat/gluten. A slice a white bread doesn't breaking you out. Diet habits consisting of a great deal of crap, blood sugar spiking crap in particular, is what breaks you out.

And I can see from the responses here, it's time to bump the good things thread again. Do yourselves a favor and read it, people.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...es-t230714.html

Edited by alternativista

OP lists all my favorite foods.

However I have come to realise that for me it may be fruit juices. In an attempt to take in more fruit I sometimes drink a lot.

You might as well be drinking a soda. If you are drinking 'a lot', I assume that means you are drinking it between meals, without other foods to lessen the glycemic impact. That means you are causing insulin spikes possibly several times per day seriously screwing up your hormones. Don't drink sugar.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

- Picking

- Constantly worrying/thinking about the acne

- Skincare products

- Makeup

I pretty much do not consider food to be a source of my acne. If it were, then I would have started breaking out much sooner than I did. Went 3-4 years without acne after hitting puberty, and my diet wasn't good. I only started breaking out (or breaking out on a regular basis, as I do not recall having any issues with acne or oily skin before that point) when I started wearing makeup and then washing it off with cleansers.

I think that food is more likely to break someone out if they 1) are allergic to it, 2) think "hey, this is going to break me out".

The only foods I don't eat are eggs (mild allergy which causes bloating) and gluten (possible intolerance which causes bloating). Neither of these were removed for my acne. I tried not eating dairy, which did nothing.

Although you didn't start breaking out at puberty, it doesn't mean diet will have no affect on your skin. Diet has an effect on clear people's skin-regarding wrinkles, tone, brightness, health. Your body can change after puberty to start producing acne (like those who develop adult onset acne) regarding the way it digests food. Eating healthier and exercising are good in general, and will help your skin heal faster either way. It's not opinion, it's just science.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Iodine - most important. Found out the hard way.

Nuts and seeds

Messed up sleeping routine. Need to get to bed at least 12pm.

BUT non-diet related things are far more important. For example the biggest thing that caused acne for me was using any kind of product on my face. Jojoba oil clogged the shit out of me.