Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kfdjkjsdf

One of the pitfalls of free speech: Whackjob "health nut" conspiracy theorists...

As much as I oppose censorship, sometimes I can't help but wonder if some would go a long way in making the world a better place.

Because unfortunately, as long as we have a completely "free exchange of ideas," there will be thousands of idiots out there creating websites about how giving yourself a "coffee enema" and eating a bunch of fruits and vegetables will cure cancer...or how acne is caused by a "leaky gut" and "poor liver function" and can be CURED *NATURALLY!!!!111* by taking some *NATURAL!!!111* supplements...and buying your $39.99 book, of course. Hey, you gots to eat, right?

Da drug companiez don't want u to know dat every disease already haz a NATURAL cure!!! If you just buy our bookz and EDUMACATE urselfz, you'll live FOREVER...because the body has POWERFUL defense systems that can NOT be defeated EVER when you stimulate them with NATURAL foodz and supplementz.

There is an answer for every problem in life...just buy my book!

And the sad part is people are gullible enough to believe these quacks/scam artists.

The "natural cure" pushers are no different than the multinational pharmaceutical pushers.

They are all modern day manifestations of the 19th century "snake-oil" salesman, just some people

trying to make a buck off ya.

The trick is to be able to weed out the snake-oil from the stuff that actually works which is tough

because snake-oil salesman are notoriously convincing and usually very loud and obnoxious and they offer you free gifts and their web page is just one big long chunk of text with a paypal button when you finally get to the bottom. They don't want you to see that button until you are totally brainwa--- i mean convinced.

The pharmaceuticals are a special breed of pusher in that they have the backing of the medical establishment, the FDA, and are able to buy congressional favor. This is the "super" snake-oil salesman on steroids. They have many doctors as well to push their product so they don't have to do it directly.

and yes naturals will tell you the synthetics don't work and vice versa. A fundamental business practice when marketing your product is to highlight the weaknesses of your competitor. However in this case both competitors have the same weakness, as the are all just snake-oil salesman in the end.

It's not really my problem if someone is stupid enough to put his money/time/health/whatever to some scam.

Freedom to exchange ideas is a really good thing.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Life is all about wading through bullshit. Your bullshit, other peoples' bullshit, and the bullshit sprayed at you. Being successful in all facets of this life is to be able to navigate through it all and perpetually sort out fact from fiction.

As much as I oppose censorship, sometimes I can't help but wonder if some would go a long way in making the world a better place.

And the sad part is people are gullible enough to believe these quacks/scam artists.

Though I do agree with this too- but I'm sort of split. I certainly don't want some fascist state, banning this or that, but when we look at all the incidences of heart disease, obesity cancer etc, yet you still can't turn on the TV without being bombarded by adds for horrible, processed foods with artificial ingredients, tons of sugar etc- so blatantly spewed at you... it get's to a point where you ask, "come on, how can this be even allowed?" Especially looking at ads targeted at children.

Bottom line, wading through the bullshit or not- our society absolutely sets people up to fail.

I've been coming to this site for years,and I've seen a lot of desperate people.

Imagine,trying every store-bought product there is,and none work at all. Your face is covered in painful lumps.They're leaving pits in your skin. Week after week you watch your skin deteriorate into something you desperately want to prevent.You don't understand why it's happening,and you're doing the best you can to keep your face treated and clean.Finally,you reach a breaking point...you'll do anything,try anything,and pay whatever it costs.

I do believe there's a link between certain foods and *some people*,and I do believe certain vitamins can help *some* people. It's worth trying elimination diets,as a lot of people with acne have sensitivities to milk and such. Acne amazes me in that everyone seems to react so differently to different treatments.

Some people do liver detoxes and colon cleanses with success,too.

And then there's the people who've exhausted so many possible cures,and buy into stupid things.

i think the natural abstracts are the best for all kind of ache you can use cream of a milk fresh milk and apply then you will see the changes

i think the natural abstracts are the best for all kind of ache you can use cream of a milk fresh milk and apply then you will see the changes

What?

still can't turn on the TV without being bombarded by adds for horrible, processed foods with artificial ingredients, tons of sugar etc- so blatantly spewed at you... it get's to a point where you ask, "come on, how can this be even allowed?

Most people with some intelligence know that those things are unhealthy. But many people just won't care and still eat them.

The bigger problem is that the official dietary recommendations are also quite crappy and no amount of cencoring is going to fix that.

Especially looking at ads targeted at children.

Ads targeted to children are most of the time bad, but in the end it's their parents that decide what their kids eat.

I assume you'd have the same success with any alcohol or drug that causes the same relaxed sensation. Being more relaxed = not thinking about your acne all that much, which can mean that your acne is able to lighten up due to your not stressing yourself out over it.

That or you have hindered your eye sight with the constant beer consumption. Continue drinking daily and your brain cells will die off - they are unable to be repaired in this instance, and neurons cannot be replaced.

When the mass starts eating crapier it will be harder to eat healthy yourself. We will become more extreme and recommendations will follow the mass.

good post and good points.

however, leaky gut is a real "thing", but the actual term is intestinal permeability, and refers to the barrier function of the intestine and how well it acts as a barrier. its suspected to be involved in many disease processes, but as you know the body is massively complicated and could be another 200 years before we know "exactly" how it may contribute to different diseases.