Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

can sunscreen in the form of zinc oxide, homosalate, octinoxate, and octocrylene all found in Cerave's AM facial lotion help prevent the sun from drying out my skin? I've been using the PM version of the facial lotion after the cream stopped working for me despite using it for over a year, but I noticed that even though Im a fairly brown complexion, walking for only a few minutes in the sun will cause my cheeks to tighten and become itchy. Any thoughts?

thanks

hi thanks, i've just switched over to Cerave facial lotion after using cetaphil which made my skin feel nice, though oily as heck which probably caused small breakouts. I was using cerave cream for over a year and suddenly it stopped working after I didn't use it for a month when i traveled instead I used cetaphil facial lotion with SPF, which suddenly stopped working when I came back to a dryer climate. When I mean stop working, I mean even after applying, it would cause my cheeks to feel itchy and tight. i have combo skin, so my t zone is naturally oily and any moistrorizer will do- but i'm having problems with my cheeks. I think the dryness from the moisturizers inability to work has caused my to break out for the first time ever on my cheeks- which remained clear when the cerave was working for over a year.

I did retry the cerave cream again recently, but within the end of the day I had two breakouts that I knew were a direct result of the dryness. I don't want to keep buying new creams and lotions- but the Cerave facial lotion PM is working out great right now as long as I don't go out into the sun too much at all pretty much. It also has an AM version with the sunscreen I described, but I don't like it as much as the PM version which is less greasy and a lot lighter.

The deal is if I dont go out in the sun, I dont experience the symptoms I described at all with the new cerave lotion. It's been two days and it hasnt broken me out yet so we'll see...

Unfortunately i have to go out in the sun?

I will try to add a drop or two of jojoba oil to make the moisturizer even better as I feel like it's great but not good enough. thanks

Edited by mboona

hi thanks, i've just switched over to Cerave facial lotion after using cetaphil which made my skin feel nice, though oily as heck which probably caused small breakouts. I was using cerave cream for over a year and suddenly it stopped working after I didn't use it for a month when i traveled instead I used cetaphil facial lotion with SPF, which suddenly stopped working when I came back to a dryer climate. When I mean stop working, I mean even after applying, it would cause my cheeks to feel itchy and tight. i have combo skin, so my t zone is naturally oily and any moistrorizer will do- but i'm having problems with my cheeks. I think the dryness from the moisturizers inability to work has caused my to break out for the first time ever on my cheeks- which remained clear when the cerave was working for over a year.

I did retry the cerave cream again recently, but within the end of the day I had two breakouts that I knew were a direct result of the dryness. I don't want to keep buying new creams and lotions- but the Cerave facial lotion PM is working out great right now as long as I don't go out into the sun too much at all pretty much. It also has an AM version with the sunscreen I described, but I don't like it as much as the PM version which is less greasy and a lot lighter.

The deal is if I dont go out in the sun, I dont experience the symptoms I described at all with the new cerave lotion. It's been two days and it hasnt broken me out yet so we'll see...

Unfortunately i have to go out in the sun?

I will try to add a drop or two of jojoba oil to make the moisturizer even better as I feel like it's great but not good enough. thanks

Actually an update:

When I traveled, I used the cetaphil facial lotion with SPF15 on my cheeks and it was hydrating enough for such a humid and hot climate and plus whenever I went outside I would wear a hat.

Back home the cetaphil facial lotion was too sticky and not hydrating enough.. so I went back to Cereve which doesnt have SPF and then I didnt wear hats outside.. could it be that in a months time my skin was so dependent on the SPF that the tightness and itchy feeling I have been experiencing is not from the cream no longer working, but from the sun??

It might also explain my sudden break out- since the right side of my face is more exposed to the sun?

today is a relatively gloomy day and ive been sitting at home with cerave on my cheeks and it has not stung or felt itchy at all. I'm guessing if I was allergic to any ingredients in it then I would feel it all the time? Perhaps the sun's heat irritates the skin thus making me think Cerave no longer works? Does this make sense to anyone?

Edited by mboona

The thing about that is that when I returned home i was fine for 3 weeks, then broke out in nodules that were in a straight line on my once perfectly cleared cheek. Ive pretty much narrowed it down to using the CeraVe cleanser perhaps too often, jojoba oil as a result of thinking my moisturizer was not affective enough, or frozen yogurt. For the past two days staying out of the sun and still using the CeraVe cream without cleansing has made everything go back to normal without any new breakouts. so lets pray it keeps working. thanks

The thing about that is that when I returned home i was fine for 3 weeks, then broke out in nodules that were in a straight line on my once perfectly cleared cheek. Ive pretty much narrowed it down to using the CeraVe cleanser perhaps too often, jojoba oil as a result of thinking my moisturizer was not affective enough, or frozen yogurt. For the past two days staying out of the sun and still using the CeraVe cream without cleansing has made everything go back to normal without any new breakouts. so lets pray it keeps working. thanks

hey i just realized something - A few months ago I was using this cleanser with papaya extract once a week on my cheeks for over 2 years around the same time I started CeraVe. Right before my trip I switched over to a different gentle cleanser for my chin and stopped using it...

My cheeks feel rough- could it be that its in need of exfoliation after so many months without??? This is why the same lotion that worked before isnt working now?