Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GetRidOfMyScars

Pictures of my scars and a facial surgeon's assessment

Hey guys. I used to be a member here for quite a while but I forgot my old username and password. Anyway, I just went for a consultation for a "facial surgeon" (if you even can call her that) to assess my scars. Could you please tell me what you think of her assessment or if she is just bullshitting me to purchase an expensive Obagi regimen?

So the first couple of minutes were just introductions ("I am a facial surgeon blah blah blah). Then we started talking about my acne and considering I still have some minor acne (a breakout every 2 weeks or so), she suggested that I get a prescription for Minocin and a retinoid cream, which she would provide (fair enough). She then said that I need to purchase $500 worth of Obagi products consisting of a cleanser, toner, etc. to help clear up my skin. After that, we talked about my scars. I ask her if she performs subcision and punch grafting, she said 'no' and said that since I have tan skin, it has the potential to leave discoloration after surgery (is this true?). Then, she started talking about Fraxel Re:Store and I can expect about 80% improvement. She showed me some pictures of her patients who underwent fraxel, which were all great. When I asked her about stuff that I read saying that fraxel doesn't help with ice-pick scars and rolling scars, without ever going nearer than 3-4 feet from my face, she made an assessment that I don't have ice-pick scars. When I pointed to my right cheek (picture below), she said those were "shallow scars" and not ice-pick scars, if there was even a difference. Not once during that consultation did she even went near my face to examine it (is this normal for this type of consultation?).

Then, she took me to a different room with a lady trying to sell me the Obagi regimen and to help answer my questions about it. When I asked her if it was OK if I do the fraxel without the Obagi, this lady said that I require the Obagi regimen before I do the Fraxel or else I might get some discoloration and make it worse after the procedure (again, is this true?). So in short, no Fraxel if I don't get the Obagi. Then, I ask her if I could get that prescription for Minocin and the retinoid cream which the doctor will provide, the lady had to leave the room to discuss it with the doctor. After 10 or so minutes, she came back and the doctor said that the prescription and the retinoid cream alone will NOT help with my acne and she will NOT give me a prescription for both of them unless I purchase the Obagi skin care regimen. So, it's either I get the Obagi or none at all.

The thing that pissed me off is that I had to pay $100 for a consultation fee where the doctor did not even examine my face closely. Since a lot of you folks seem to be more knowledgeable about acne scars, could you guys please provide me your assessment for my scars?

Thanks.

post-138671-1285891019_thumb.jpgpost-138671-1285891060_thumb.jpg

post-138671-1285891019_thumb.jpg

post-138671-1285891060_thumb.jpg

Definitely go to a different physician! Your scarring looks like VERY shallow ice picks. A retinoid alone for a year will soften those scars.

Obagi may have nice products but they're overpriced. You can get the same effects with a simple cleanser, maybe a glycolic acid toner, and a retinoid.

Your mild acne does not even need an internal antibiotic. You can however use one in conjunction with the retinoid as there is likely to be an initial breakout.

Thanks Wynne.

Here's my full face pic to give a glimpse of my rolling scars on my right cheek.

I guess I'll research more on the doctors in my area. Everyone seems to charge a $100 consultation fee and after this experience, I'm just worried that it will be 100 bucks down the drain.

post-138671-1285894626_thumb.jpg

post-138671-1285894626_thumb.jpg

Hi

First of all I assume your dr. was trying to sell you the Obagi nu-derm. Obagi is a skincare program that consists of retin-a, hydroquinone and glycolic acid. It is used for prepping skin for a laser treatment/chemical peel or for fading pigmentation such as melasma, PIH, sun damage. The Obagi product kit usually runs about 350.00 and then you have to get retin-a at an additional cost.

Looking at your photos, it does not appear you have pigment issues so she could have been selling you this for prepping your skin for fraxel restore to prevent any hyperpigmentation. The next thing I notice in you photos is that it does appear that you have ice-pick scars that too me seem moderatly deep and I doubt any laser would work for these. I think tca-cross would be your best bet. Your rolling scars seem rather shallow so perhaps a laser could help with that but if I had your skin I would much rather work on the ice-pick scarring. I think this dr. is just selling you what shes got. I think the restore is kinda useless and I would not spend my good earned money on it. Hope this helps. Good Luck

hmm, you have an interesting array of scars there. the great thing for you is, a lot of them are quite wide.

tca cross would definitely work on practically all of them which is good. its cheap and the downtime isnt too bad. for your larger ones, if it was me - id be just tempted to get them excised - mainly because its quicker, easier and then allows you to just focus on the smaller remaining scars.

once you are done, id do a CO2 laser treatment.

I paid 400 dollars for obagi a couple of years ago for my scars. It did nothing for the scars and broke me out with huge cysts which resulted in more scars. That's just my experience.

Definitely go to a different physician! Your scarring looks like VERY shallow ice picks. A retinoid alone for a year will soften those scars.

Obagi may have nice products but they're overpriced. You can get the same effects with a simple cleanser, maybe a glycolic acid toner, and a retinoid.

Your mild acne does not even need an internal antibiotic. You can however use one in conjunction with the retinoid as there is likely to be an initial breakout.

Those arent shallow scars.

Those arent shallow scars.

We shall simply have to disagree.

Well, they aren't shallow, that's a fact.

Find a different doc. Re:store for your kind of scarring wont do much, you will just end up with an empty wallet. Bah, I hate doctors like this, they just sell whatever they have in their clinic without caring about their client.

Guest Timehealsall
Hi

First of all I assume your dr. was trying to sell you the Obagi nu-derm. Obagi is a skincare program that consists of retin-a, hydroquinone and glycolic acid. It is used for prepping skin for a laser treatment/chemical peel or for fading pigmentation such as melasma, PIH, sun damage. The Obagi product kit usually runs about 350.00 and then you have to get retin-a at an additional cost.

Looking at your photos, it does not appear you have pigment issues so she could have been selling you this for prepping your skin for fraxel restore to prevent any hyperpigmentation. The next thing I notice in you photos is that it does appear that you have ice-pick scars that too me seem moderatly deep and I doubt any laser would work for these. I think tca-cross would be your best bet. Your rolling scars seem rather shallow so perhaps a laser could help with that but if I had your skin I would much rather work on the ice-pick scarring. I think this dr. is just selling you what shes got. I think the restore is kinda useless and I would not spend my good earned money on it. Hope this helps. Good Luck

wait why would you want to fix the icepicks and not boxcars? Arent the boxcars the more noticeable ones?

I have been looking into needling -- will that work for my scars? Is needling the same thing as dermaroller?

I've tried TCA CROSS twice or thrice (don't remember) about a year ago and I'm not sure if I want to again. I think I've seen some improvements but then I found some old pics I posted here about 4 years ago, and my face now seems worse. Some scars seem wider (but less deep) than they did before.

Edited by GetRidOfMyScars