Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grind

Help me discover why this past 3 days I look like absolute Shit

Literally 3 or so weeks ago I made a thread on how I’ve finally managed to control my acne. I had usually been able to control it one way or another, but not perfectly. I thought I’d finally found what works for me, and I was absolutely clear as my pics indicated.

I had a bit of a break out over a week ago for no good reason, but i put it down to too much fruit in my green smoothies. so to banish them, I cut out fruit from them completely. I just have pure spinach and water instead. I don’t eat any fruit at all I just have vit C sups.

I also started going back on the regimen full time rather than just apply BP in the night

And since all this;

today worse of all (over the past 3 days) I look absolutely HORRIBLE!

I have 1 recovering zit on my left jaw line, one new massive thing brewing and hurting like fuck, on my chin. 4 red marks which have not gone away in the slightest since the break out 2 weeks ago, 1 next to my mouth and 3 on the left side of my nose across my face. And 2 new ones which are sitting next to the red marks. My forehead looks rough. My eyes look baggy and tired. My skin is pale, thin, and uneven like I’ve never seen the sun. hair looks really tired and worn. I even feel like I look fatter as well.

I just do not get it. there is nothing I’ve eaten over and above what I should, apart from a few glasses of red wine (separate thread)

I have a green smoothie with no fruit once or twice a day. I use brown rice protein with it, not whey, for protein intake for training. I do weights twice a week now, reduced. And go running 3 times a week for half an hour in the morning.

All the sups are the same. Vit A, B complex, C, D, E, 3x omega-3, doxycycline, etc. nothing fried, not many red meats, lots of oily fish like tuna, no nuts, no sugar, no choc / ice cream or anything that’s bad, no chips, no bread. Just wholesome foods etc.

The only thing I can think of is that its walking around with the BP still on my face in the day time, it is quite uncomfortable and feels horrible, like I know there is this gunk on my face.

I cant understand with this very good diet (which I have detailed in my other thread), sups to cover the areas I might not get enough, and extra cardio exercise like running… why I would look like death. I seriously look terrible. The red marks and acne that has some lately is just the icing on the cake. A colleague said to me today:

“hey how’s it going? How are you, wow you really do Not look good, what happened?!?â€

I wasn’t even that mortified, because I knew he was right. I look like a complete fucking mess and I don’t know what I can do about it. I take care of myself and eat better than ANYONE in this entire company, yet I look like the worst out of anyone.

No matter how well I dress, or smell, or take care of my body inside and out, how much attention to detail etc; I come out still looking like a pile of shit. Some might say I should just accept it, and not worry about it. but I have a date tonight with a girl I really like, and she likes me a lot as well but hasn’t seen me for 3 days. I’m really worried because I look like a wreck and I have no confidence again

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with me? the change in the weather? Its starting to get a bit colder now. with the running I wake up at 6am to do it, and usually don’t sleep by midnight at the earliest, so I might have less sleep than normal. so the lack of sleep may be the cause for the baggy eyes etc

I have been in the same boat as you. Doesn't this convince you that acne is not a diet/hygiene issue?

i still think it is. but i also think in addition to it, there must be other factors as well. as if i didn't do what i am doing now, i am cystic. and i mean really bad, like a full blown case where i'd be put on accutain the moment a derm took one look at me - that is if i were to do nothing re diet + hygiene.

hygiene is a non issue for me, i've always been pristine so there is nothing more i can do there. diet lets me down sometimes (i mean i let myself down sometimes), and the struggle to find what is right / wrong for me to eat is difficult. but at least i put the effort in and do what i can to stay as clear as possible through it.

there is obviously something else there which is causing it

i honestly have not properly looked into the whole detoxing the liver thing like some people here do, and treat it as some kind of liver pollution. there are some here who take that pill which washes out the liver, i forget the name and i dont have a link to the thread.

i think all that shit is the next step. but it takes a shit load of research + trial and error it seems. something i almost dont have time for as i work nearly 12 hours a day

. a lot of the guys who post here are almost like dr.s themselves, or at least very very smart and have done lots of studying to find out what they need to do, and what can be done. to be honest i'm too dumb to grasp most of it and implement it into my life, because 1. its not easy for me to understand. i'm a numbers person, not big heaps of long text with medical jargon. and 2. most of what is discussed i cant actually get hold of anyway as i live in azerbaijan, so i would need to find the russian equivalent product. which is almost impossible as my russian skills in talking about medical things to the (alraedy incompetent) pharmacists is not good enough.

its the detox effect

please explain..

?

How long did you stay clear on your diet before?

when i got the diet down to a T. i had no break out for about a month. i got a bit cocky with the fruit and honey though, but since then i have stopped eating and putting fruit in anywhere.

do you think the lack of fruit (2 weeks), is causing me to look like death or look sick? i guess if the fruit did actually cause a pimple or 2, the fact might be that at least it made me look (and feel) very healthy overall. and maybe gave me a bit of a glow

i'll see what i can do to get rid of the current pimples, then start introducing the fruit back in a Little bit. for health reasons.

if you think this is a good idea? green apples?

Edited by Grind

I also started going back on the regimen full time rather than just apply BP in the night

Sounds like this could be your problem.

And like the other guy said, it could be the detox effect. All the healthy stuff you're eating and exercise is flushing all the bad shit out of your body and causing a few breakouts.

I never understood why people who eat and live healthy bother to take some many supplements or put harsh chemicals on their face. If you eat plenty of fruit and veg, chances are you're getting more than enough vitamin whatever.

Try bringing low sugar fruits back into your diet. Blackberries are in season and blueberries are great, I have them every morning.

Aim for 7-8 hours of sleep too if you can. Chances are you aren't dropping to sleep instantly after getting into bed at midnight, so you're getting less than 6 hours kip if you get up at 6am everyday.

Have you encountered ANY stress at all lately? What has your sleep been like? Have you ate trace amounts of anything you are intoleerant too?

a detox effect , is the effect you get when you stop taking in bad stuff/toxins. You have a small period where you body starts to get rid of the stuff thats . Youll feel sick, get worse etc... (thats in general, because i really dont know how cutting out a few fruits will cause any detox. Stopping with all junk food soda etc suddenly can I guess, but few fruits...?)

What did you start eating more instead of the fruits , or just by coincidence? How have you slept? How was your stress? How much outdoor hours did you get? What were your sleep times (different from normal)?

I think that will give us a better view...

Edited by joris

its the detox effect

This.

Whenever i get on a health kick after ignoring it for a few months i look like i crawled up out

of a grave for a few weeks, then i start to get my tone back.

Sorry to hear about the rough time you're having. That sucks.

I've been very good with my diet and using only natural products on my face, but I still get break outs and I have loads of red marks. And I even have a cysts on my right cheek (and I haven't had a cyst on my face in ages). I almost cried at my acupuncturist today. I asked what I could possibly be doing wrong and she said that my body is probably reacting to some kind of stress/trauma from a while ago, and it needs to sort itself out.

I think diet and acne are related, but also stress, hormones, and other health concerns. If you can find a naturopath or acupuncturist, I'd recommend it.

I bet that you're very healthy, but your skin is breaking out. Try to destress, take baths, do fun things, and relax (easier said then done, I know).

And I bet you really don't look that bad. Ignore your colleague. I hope you enjoyed your date. Most restaurants have lower light so I bet she was just so happy to be with you that she didn't notice or care about your skin.

Thanks for the replies guys, i will deal with all of them

But first just to note another girl in the office one of my oldest colleague / friends here just said to me 5 minutes ago in the kitchen: “sweetheart what is wrong with you, you look different, like you just spend the week in prison cell, are you sick?â€

Crushing. But she is right. I just made up some lame excuse

Sounds like this could be your problem.

Edited by Grind

a detox effect , is the effect you get when you stop taking in bad stuff/toxins. You have a small period where you body starts to get rid of the stuff thats .

thank you

time outside is minimal, i'm stuck in the office 10 to 12 hours a day. that is the nature of our work. so i'm outside for aprox 2 to 3 hours a day mon-fri, and half if not most of the day on weekends

its the detox effect

This.

Whenever i get on a health kick after ignoring it for a few months i look like i crawled up out

of a grave for a few weeks, then i start to get my tone back.

this is so nice to hear. thank you for sharing that

Sorry to hear about the rough time you're having. That sucks.

I've been very good with my diet and using only natural products on my face, but I still get break outs and I have loads of red marks. And I even have a cysts on my right cheek (and I haven't had a cyst on my face in ages). I almost cried at my acupuncturist today. I asked what I could possibly be doing wrong and she said that my body is probably reacting to some kind of stress/trauma from a while ago, and it needs to sort itself out.

i hope you get your stuff sorted out too.

one of my main problems is impatience. i like things fixed on the day, not over a few weeks. i can’t handle 'gets worse before getting better'. it is just far too much damage and could land me in big trouble at work. if i continue to look this bad at my work place i do get worried that it will not only impact and inhibit my work due to my confidence and my ability to bargain, argue and do deals with my contractors and clients, due to low confidence and self esteem; but people who i work with and for who pay me to be who i am, will not be getting what they are paying for. as with acne or when i look like death, it looks like i am unhealthy, incapable, like i don’t know how to take care of myself, childish like a teen with teen skin...

i will loose respect. and of course in general people who look like that (like me at the moment) are not warmed to. it is a fact of life people warm to healthy and good looking people, and would prefer to be around them and do business with them and have a good time with them etc. you have to take into account that i work in a country where people don’t get acne hardly ever, and everyone at least in the clients office is very pristine.

it’s a very superficial environment, in this country women are still employed based on their looks. its stuck in the past, but none the less i still have to live and work here so as you can imagine, how i look is absolutely imperative to me for my performance here. at least until i get out and go back home to the UK. which is why i am so upset

I think diet and acne are related, but also stress, hormones, and other health concerns. If you can find a naturopath or acupuncturist, I'd recommend it.
unfortunately no such thing exists here

I bet that you're very healthy, but your skin is breaking out. Try to destress, take baths, do fun things, and relax (easier said then done, I know).

And I bet you really don't look that bad. Ignore your colleague. I hope you enjoyed your date. Most restaurants have lower light so I bet she was just so happy to be with you that she didn't notice or care about your skin.

we ended up eating at my place. it was a nice evening. i came out with it straight away that i was embarrassed to see her that night, because i look so terrible. and she said that she didn’t think so. she is a genuine girl so i'm sure she meant it. but still she deserves better from me than this, she should be proud of who she’s with

thanks guys for your responses. i'll implement some of suggested changes as best i can, and update when things get better (or worse lol)

thanks again you are all fantastic

Wow, seems like you are going through major stress right now. Your job sounds pretty intense, but you are also putting a lot of pressure on yourself. I am hearing you project failure onto your professional life based on your skin. I don't know if that's true, but don't be so fatalistic. I think even if your appearance isn't ideal, that doesn't mean you won't get respect. I look like a spotty teen (ok, a spotty young person in her early 20s), with my pimples and my general looks, but even if my students don't think I'm beautiful or perfect looking, they respect me because I am the professor and I know my stuff.

You're right that initial first impressions may be based on superficial stuff, but if you're smart, you're warm, your funny, your competent- that matters more than looking good at first glance. Seriously. No one would have hired a person that looks good but can't do their job. If you're a hard worker and good at what you do, that matters.

Try to stress less about your spots. I know it's easier said than done, but that's what the community is for. A little perspective. I hope your skin calms down a bit over the weekend. Get lots of rest and engage in happy things. Feel better, man.

Did you always have this sleep pattern? Or was it recently (did you stop sleeping enough just before breakout??) And did you stop going outside a lot just before breakouts.

I know it sounds annoying but the saying 'less is more' is true for so many things.

Sticking to a full skin regime doesn't give your skin a chance to rest and heal!

It's just like picking off the scabs of a wound. Every time you rub your face hard with strong products you are breaking open the skin that is beginning to heal and again causing your face to look red and puffy and open up those spots.

Why don't you try lightly washing your face with a bar of Aloe Vera soap morning and night and once you have dried your face don't touch or put anything else on it. Make sure it's a good bar of soap made mostly of aloe vera not just an extract, you should be able to get it from a health store. This seriously worked for me, as well as cutting out foods that contain soya (a common allergic reaction to soya is acne)

As for looking rough in general I would guess that it is a complete reflection of how you feel right now about your skin. I know it can be so depressing, I've been there.

You need to let go. Positive thinking and you will radiate positive energy.

you dont want to cut fruit out entirely, so much good stuff in there even if it effects your disease.

definitly relax at all costs, try going a couple days not even thinking about your skin, or the implications of your skin, just try it.

designate a certain amount of time to only think of your skin, then, when that time is over, think about something entirely different. I believe some time must be designated for learning about your diet and health, sure. but not every second of every day nor everywhere where you go.

give yourself a break, or else you will BREAK- out!! sounds cheesy, but stress has a role in many disease processes, so make your thinking and activitys directly around this concept. do not dedicate each and every minute of everyday to acne.

also, do not ever tell yourself you need to look perfect to do this thing or that thing, and wait for your acne to clear up before you actually do it, that line of thinking alone could keep you from doing the stuff you enjoy, which would release you stress and change your physiological state, and perhaps even IMPROVE you acne.

when we talk about acne, we are talking about bacteria and the immune system, by controlling your stress itself, you could be positively affecting your acne, as stress messes with the immune system. But by thinking about your acne all the time, you could be making it easier and easier to get stressed out by running those thought through your mind.

ok i think you get the jist of it here. good luck.

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments guys

The nasty bits have pretty much cleared up (the teenage bits), so i look much better – i’ve been getting 7 hours sleep per night minimum now and have added apples back into my diet. Also stopped drinking coffee for the last 6 days. Its certainly getting better. there are some red marks there but I will deal with them. Probably another month and they will have faded I believe, as they are almost half way there now

But

And i mean big but

I have 2 developing cysts, one on my neck which is a hard lump like leprosy, and on near my ear. So I made the executive decision to buy a box of accutain from the doctors yesterday night after saying no no and no. But now i have to say yes. by the end of the week I’m going to start a new regimen of ultra-low-dose, as per the clinical trials thread. 10mg every 5 days (so 2mg per day). And see if that helps maintain

When these cysts are like this, then they will only multiply in numbers on a weekly basis and there is no stopping it. It is a disease as you say; it’s not me personally. I’ve done it all right as humanly possible. To me it is like leprosy or small pox, and needs to be treated. This is the last resort but that’s how it’s going to be

Thanks again for all of the help guys again, it does help indeed. Doesn’t fix though

wow cello thats a lot! (i dont see anything)

That's because the word "stress" is so significant it requires extra space ;)

ow lol looked over it, thought it was your signature or something xD