Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
viettommy1

hello, Is this considered severe acne ?

Hello everyone, My name is Tommy. I didn't know about this forum until recently.

I feel like I finally have the confidence to post some pictures because I feel I am not

alone here. I am not the only person that suffers from acne scarring.

I consider myself to have severe acne. Of course the acne scars make me feel so

insecure about myself. I have done countless chemical peels and microdermabrasion,

but they haven't really had an effect on my scarring. I have had scarring for so long now.

I just can't stand looking at my reflection anymore it scares and hurts me everytime

I was thinking of doing the pearl fractional. Does anyone

know if I would be able to get to see a significant difference with my acne scarring

from this laser treatment? Please help

post-138623-1285819884_thumb.jpg

post-138623-1285819921_thumb.jpg

post-138623-1285820098_thumb.jpg

post-138623-1285820121_thumb.jpg

post-138623-1285819884_thumb.jpg

post-138623-1285819921_thumb.jpg

post-138623-1285820098_thumb.jpg

post-138623-1285820121_thumb.jpg

Compared to the members here, I'm no expert. But to me, you have moderate rolling scars, some ice pick and boxscars. Peels won't do anything, so don't waste money on it. Subcision is considered the best when treating rolling scars. TCA Cross is for boxscars/ice pick scars

Hope I can help a bit here. Good luck. You are not alone :)

Edited by lameleah

I have heard of subscision, but I don't know anyone around my area that does subscision.

Does anyone here know about doing pearl fractional for acne scarring. For the scars that

I have ? Please help my acne scars have tortured me enough, I want to be able to look

at the mirror and not have doubts about myself.

laser alone wont help much. people here have tried co2 laser (like the pearl one you mentioned) with less severe scars than yours and had minimal improvement.

you'll probably need a combination of scar treatments like subcision, laser, and possibly fillers. I'm just being honest.

i dont even get why your derm offered you microdermabrasion and peels, knowing that it wouldnt help much, i think that really sucks on their part.

Good luck, hope things work out for ya.

From this picture it appears your scarring looks alot like atomgel in the scar gallery. I would say more severe then some and less severe then others. It is noticeable but doesnt look horrible.

You're going to need subcision and/or fillers. The derm probably recommended the microderm and peels to you because of your skin type, and he would be scared of scarring you with more effective treatments. He probably doesn't know how to do subcision or doesn't offer it, so you're going to have to look for a doctor in your area that does.

Peels and microderm will help it look smoother, but it won't be worth the $ you put into it. You can do peels at home (you can do a search on this board).

Thanks for everyone's reply, the chemical peels helped alot actually, my face was horrible back then. It is still bad now, but not nearly as bad. I have done fillers, juvederm and such. It had no effect. It was not cheap either, I don't want to waste money on treatments that don't do anything. I was not elgible for any lasers because of my skin type is too dark. Pearl fractional really is the only laser I am elgible for. I want to at least try it out, if anything it will make some improvement I hope.

What about dermarolling? Some other people could give better advice on this.

Good luck man, and please do report!

did you do subcision BEFORE you did fillers? that has a big difference than just fillers alone.

Fillers alone wont work on deep scars because your scar is bound down by fibrous tissue from dermis.

I have done juvederm, but I did not get the subscision before it. My dermatologist said that fillers are also only temporary so it would last at most 1 year. So laser won't do any help? I only know one person on this forum that did the pearl fraxel, but I didn't see any recent pictures I just saw pictures during it. I would like some more input on this, please help

subcision is important because it lifts up the scar (detach the upper layer of your skin from your dermis/fat) and then filler comes in between to sustain it and keeps it elevated to the surface.

and yep. i agree with michael24. you should check out ernesto thread.

you'll probably need a multi scar revision treatment like him.

The reason I say check out ernest's thread is because you will most likely need a combination of treatments for the best results. You may want to do with out the Recell but, subcision + fraxel repair may be the best route. I really do not understand why people keep asking if this or that will help when we have a pretty great solution available, the rest is speculation fraxel alone, deep fx, active fx, none have given dramatic results.

Also I am always surprised at how people percieve others scars, in my opinon those scars are not moderate they are severe, though they are not the clearest pics they do not look like rolling scars only, it seems he has small box car and ice picks as well, along with enlarged pores and uneven texture.

you have moderate scarring (rolling scars/ the enlarged pores are not that bad)

look into subcision and a skilled doctor who is able to do this procedure.

you are a good candidate for subcision.

you have moderate scarring (rolling scars/ the enlarged pores are not that bad)

look into subcision and a skilled doctor who is able to do this procedure.

you are a good candidate for subcision.

Those are not only rolling scars, are you kidding me?

majority of it is rolling, but yep... he has some boxcars and icepicks as well.

yeah, i dont understand why people keep getting laser treatments alone. If your scars are sorta deep (moderate or severe) indented, it wont do you any good to just zap it with co2 laser. all laser does is force collagen formation and smoothing out the skin by making a bunch of little holes-its not enough to improve scars to the point where its satisfactory.

Boxcar and rolling can be detached with subcision follow by laser and opt for filler as optional (after laser and subcision).

if minor icepick, tca cross

if deep, may need punch graft with skin taken behind ear.

those are the best option available as of right now, just gotta find the right doctor.

This is exactly the type of scarring I am struggling with. You took some GREAT photos to accentuate the scarring. I cannot figure out how to unflash my camera to show my scars, but mine are at LEAST as bad as yours. EXCELLENT quality photos!!! These are hard to get. I can tell you I have tried several different fillers, in addition to resurfaceing procedures and, so far, nothing. But, I really want to try and see if multiple Deep Fx's will help. Because I just got new pits within the last year, I almost feel as if I should give up.

Guest Timehealsall

guys, i have seen many people reccomend tca cross for ice pick scarring.

My question is, has anyone actually had success with tca crosses on icepick scarring (specifically the side of the nose, near the area where the nostrils flare when smiling?)

Wud it help reduce scars in this area?

Guest Timehealsall

and to the OP, to be honest, once your redness subsides, your scarring wont look too bad. I would say its moderate.

I am sure through treatments you can reduce the appearance of them.

This is exactly the type of scarring I am struggling with. You took some GREAT photos to accentuate the scarring. I cannot figure out how to unflash my camera to show my scars, but mine are at LEAST as bad as yours. EXCELLENT quality photos!!! These are hard to get. I can tell you I have tried several different fillers, in addition to resurfaceing procedures and, so far, nothing. But, I really want to try and see if multiple Deep Fx's will help. Because I just got new pits within the last year, I almost feel as if I should give up.

Hey ylem, from your posts I always got the impression you would have the worst scarring possible.. if it looks like this, it's not as bad as you think it is really!

That is the worst lighting possible, then it's moderate scarring. But in other views, I believe it doesn't look as severe.

My opinion is do not try laser. You WILL be discolored no matter what the Dr. tell you, it's basically a second degree burn to your face.

Look into dermarolling with collagen inducing creams. I'm not saying it will work, but it's worth a try.

Aww I wish I went on here, before I did the juvederm. I should have done subcision first before filler. The pearl fractional targets water not melatonin, so they said it won't cause hyper/hypopigmentation. This is the only laser that I am a candidate for; I know im stubborn but this is my only opportunity for this laser treatment because they only have this machine for one day only because they want to know if it is worth it for them to buy it. No one around my area has this new cutera pearl technology. Whether it is moderate or severe, it will always be bothersome and severe to me. When someone looks at me, I do not know if they are looking at my scars on my face or "me".

Go for fractional co2 laser like fraxel repair. Anything else will be a waste at this point.

I've been doing TCA cross on and off for about 2 years. Seems to help the most with the small narrow icepick scars. For the bigger boxcar and rolling scars the result is minimal. I can say about 10% improvement under "forgiving lighting" - it just makes it slightly more shallow. But when looking at it under harsh lighting such as sunlight, it doesn't seem to have improved at all. I've probably done around 6 TCA crosses for my biggest scars. I will need to look into other procedures for better results.