Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rosekit

Chapstick - What to look for?

When I was younger I didn't need even one swipe of chapstick/lip conditioner, whatever you like to call it, on my lips.

One day, it would seem, I put some on and years later here I am... applying chapstick every chance I get when my lips don't feel moist or they feel chapped.

I don't want to be carrying around chapstick with me all the time anymore and I really hate having chapped lips more than anything.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on:

1. What ingredients to avoid.

2. What to look for.

3. What brands/types to recommend.

I live in Canada so that may limit options as well.

I love my lips, I just hate chapped ones.

I just want one where I'll need it occasionally instead of every minute of every day.

Thanks in advance.

I don't really know about ingredients or whatever, but look for one with SPF in it, that's important.

Also, my favorite lip balm is ChapStick Ultra SPF 30. Very moisturizing and feels so good on ^_^

i also don't know about ingredients, but what i've used for a while is DCT by blistex. i hate that it's not in stick form, but it is very moisturizing, and you don't have to reapply that often. another rec would be physicians formula plump potion. i don't think it plumps lips all that well, but it's sooo moisturizing.

I don't really know about ingredients or whatever, but look for one with SPF in it, that's important.

Also, my favorite lip balm is ChapStick Ultra SPF 30. Very moisturizing and feels so good on ^_^

Unfortunately, most chapsticks with SPF have crap sunscreen ingredients that only protect from UVB, not UVA.

Usually they just have Octinoxate, which, while a good sunscreen ingredient, primarily protects from UVB.

Looks for ones that also have Titanium Dioxide and/or Oxybenzone, which are broader spectrum sunscreen agents.

I am a fan of the ChapStick brand chapsticks. The one mentioned above is one of the better SPF chapsticks out there.

I used to date this guy with the softest lips I've ever felt. He never used chapstick! He did drink tons of water a day,though.If your lips are frequently chapped all year long then you may want to examine your water intake.

I know people hate hate hate petroleum,but I've never found anything that replaces my carmex.I've tried burt's bee's,chapstick brand,some hippie hemp stuff,and tons of others...and I'm always left reapplying them a bajillion times a day.

I don't really see the point of getting a chapstick with SPF unless you're out in the sun a lot...I've never even heard of anyone getting a burn or sun damage on their lips before.If want to start talking about cancer,then you better be wearing hats if that's why you have spf in your chapstick. Think of how much exposure the part in your hair gets!

Weleda Everon Lip Balm, matte, super moisturizing, nothing creepy in the ingredients

Thanks everyone for the replies (:

I'll be looking at these brands/products when I go out shopping next since I need to also buy new Acne products as well.

I'll probably test some and see what works well for my tastes.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

- Avoid balms with menthol, minty, tingly ingredients or supposed lip-plumping formulas. These just irritate chapped lips and make you want to apply more (like how licking your lips makes it worse when they're dry)

- For less chapped lips in the first place, have you watched how much water you're drinking? You may be dehydrated. And I mean actual water, not coffee, soda or juice, etc. Drinking even a glass more water per day has helped my lips become much less chapped.

Nivea - A Kiss of Moisture is the BEST chapstick I have ever tried EVER. You do not need to apply it constantly, and your lips will still stay smooth! I use it maybe once in the morning and once at night, and my lips are never chapped. It's better than anything else I have ever tried, including Burt's Bees, Softlips, Carmex, Blistex, and many other well-known brands. You can get it for about $2 at any drugstore.

I just learned that any type of lip gloss or glossy lip balm without SPF is attracting more harmful sun rays to your lips, aging and drying them out. So, things like vaseline or carmex may not be the best option or you should find something with spf to put underneath.

i used to have really chapped lips. i suffered from chapped lips from elementary till a few months ago..im 20. i thought thats just how my lips were. i tried tons of different chapsticks and i would just have to reapply them all day. until... a few months ago! i got a job at a tea store. and employees are encouraged to drink the tea throughout the day so that when a customer asks about it we can tell them our honest opinion. anyways i dont know if its the tea.. or just the fact that i am drinking so much more! i think its probably a combination of the good stuff in the tea and the fact that i am very hydrated. (i drink it unsweetened) so you might wanna try drinking 3 to 5 cups of tea each day. be careful you dont drink it when its too hot though, thatll burn your lips and make them chapped. btw a good way to tell if your dehydrated is the color of your pee... if its dark you should be drinking more. it should be a very light color yellow or almost clear.

Thanks for more replies!

As for my water intake, all I drink is water.

I always have a big glass of water on my desk at all times and if its ever empty, I refill it right away.

Thanks Omi for telling me things I should Avoid and Nessa for explaining why using SPF on your lips is better than none at all.

I'll try drinking more water and see if that helps more.

I've tried different types of lip balms, but I loooove Burt's Bees ResQ Ointment. It's really an ointment for cuts and bruises, but it also works on blemishes, dry cuticles/skin, and on lips. I constantly get the "smother effect" from chapstick or lip balms, but this soaks right in. It's the only thing that really works for my lips, and mine used to get really dry and irritated from BP [no matter what I did, it got on my lips]. It's also awesome as an night eye cream.

:]

i've also heard that a nipple cream called lansinoh is great for lips. it's supposed to be used for breast feeding ... but there's tons of multi-tasking products out there.

Edited by indayden_den