Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am a 23 year old male and I have had acne since I was 15. I have really oily skin and get cysts on my neck, chin, and mostly forehead. As you know cysts are hard, painful, and very hard to get rid of, but I think I have found a way to beat this without dangerous levels of of drugs

First you must come to realize your situation. After I realized there isn't a quick fix for my acne I realized that I would have to try new things and experiment with certain products. If any of you follow Dan's regiment you know the main reason for success is consistency. It sucks when your the only guy you know that takes 40 minutes to pamper your face in the morning but if that's what it takes that's what it takes!

So first thing you should address is diet. For some people food doesn't effect them at all. After years of eating poorly in college I realize that alcohol, fried food, and sugar heavily effects me. In college it was almost impossible not to drink and be social but I realized I don't have to destroy my liver to have a good time. Fried food is something I try to totally avoid. No chips, fries, etc. Sugar isn't something you can't eliminate because it's in everything. The best thing I have done is drink pretty much only green tea, water, and soy milk. Cutting out sugary drinks and soda have really cut down my sugar. I try to drink as much water as possible, at least 8 cups of filtered water.

I don't believe carbs really effect my acne but some people swear by eliminating them or switching to carbs with more fiber in them. Also, eating as much as fruit and veggies and fruits as possible. Some good fruits and veggies for your skin are: sweet potato, almonds, cantaloupe, mango, fresh fish like wild salmon, avocado, garlic, tomatoes, broccoli, and eggs. There are hundreds of more foods that are great for your skin but remember keep them fresh and as un processed as possible.

Eating right is important but there are times you will not have a mango to chew on. Instead I recommend taking vitamins. Vitamins are on a need basis. Find out which ones could best help you. Here is what I take: Fish oil (I prefer salmon oil caplets, make sure you get a high quality pill), vitamin a, a good multi vitamin, acai pills, and zinc caplets.

It's important to wash your face twice a day. Once when you wake up and then about 8 hours later. I wash my face a second time around 7 pm. It's important you find a good cleanser that works for you. It can't be too harsh because this will only irritate your acne. Yet you want it to be strong enough to eliminate dirt and bacteria. I have been using Neutrogena complete acne kit. The face wash has salicylic acid in it. Get a nice squirt of the wash in your hand and make sure to get a nice lather. Make sure to lightly wash your face by barley making contact with your face. Only scrub your face for 10 seconds. Make sure to wash all the soap off. Next lightly pat dry your face. When it's dry and you feel your face tighten slightly take astringent and wipe your face and neck reason clean. Let your face dry again and take a little dab of vitamin E oil and rub it into your face. Only use a little because it goes a long way and too much will leave you greasy. Then I take a spot treatment and rub it on my existing areas. I recommend a salicylic acid spot treatment. I don't use the benzoyl peroxide face lotion because I take the lotion and mix it with a drop of pure tea tree oil. Benzoyl peroxide has ruined hundreds of dollars of my clothes so I try to eliminate bacteria in the least caustic way. Only put a drop into your moisturizer because tea tree oil has a turpentine smell. You will feel a tingle which leaves you with a truly refreshed feel. Do this wash and application twice a day.

When I have problem shits that are angry and red I make an aspirin mask and ice my pimples. Icing will lower the redness. Also making a simple aspirin mask will help lower the size and redness of cystic pimples. Simply take some non coated aspirin and add some water until you get some paste. I also try to add zinc pills and a little vitamin e oil into it. Mix until you get a pasty mixture. Apply for 15-20 minutes. Then wash off

Some other things that help is sleep, stress relieving activities, working out, etc.

if you have any questions let me know