Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
taki

Using Tretinoin /w BP?

Hi,

I've been using the generic Tretinoin cream on my acne for the past 4 months, and have seen very little improvement- I'm still breaking out badly every couple of days.

I have been thinking about adding Benzoyl Peroxide to my regimen, but I read that BP can de-stabilize the effects of Retin-A. Does this only apply if they are both applied together? I only use the Tretinoin at night, so I was thinking about using BP in the mornings. Is this safe/effective or should I think about stopping/changing my Retin-A treatment instead? Any other advice?

Thank you in advance.

You are right that BP does destabilize Retin-A, but only when they are used together. So you can use the BP in the morning and Retin-A at night. But I would ask my derm first because these two products together can significantly dry out your skin. Also to answer the early question that the cream is comedogenic, some people find that the thickening agent in the cream is comedogenic and then there are some people that do not think it is. Studies show that this thickening agent, isopropyl myristate, is not as comedogenic as first thought, but everyone's skin is different.

Thanks for your replies. I called up my doc and changed my prescription to the gel based form. I will experiment with using BP in the mornings as well, though I plan on doing so gradually as I am prone to flakiness.

bp cancels out the tretinoin? that doesnt sound right cuz my derm prescribed me clymadicin something like that and my skin still seems to exfiolite itself, which is what the tretinoin speeds up. but idk thats just me

I've been using Tretinoin for 4 monrths now, one thing I would suggest would be using Acanya in the morning, which is part Clyndamician and part BP, and use a BP wash (I use 10%) twice a day. It cleared up the stubborn acne that Tretinoin didn't.