Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kazza

Has anyone ever took a bogus "sickie" from work cos of their skin?

Well that's exactly what I've done yesterday and today! I feel like a complete and utter shit about it. It's not like I'm a perpetual liar ordinarily either so it all just culminates in this horrible guilt that's bloody awful. I keep trying to justify it to make myself feel better....."It's not like anyone's gonna die if I don't turn in, it's an inconvenience for my colleagues at worst" But I hate being off sick when it's genuine so this is just crap. You end up getting monitored if you're off too much and I don't wanna shitty sick record.

But at the mo, the state of my skin, mainly on my chin, is horrendous and cannot be covered by the usual concealer as it's all bumpy and scabby. I can't abide it when people go to talk to you and their eyes go, for a fraction of a sec, to the area you're trying to pretend isn't there yourself. It just reminds you constantly of it's presence.

Then there's the urge to go to the toilets often just so you can check a head hasn't started to emerge through the camoflage (sp) or that the scab/skin isn't peeling away. That's happened to me before and you just think "God no wonder people are looking at me there, I only checked it in the mirror 2hrs ago!"

So I rang in with some BS excuse. Also it adds to the guilt when you get sympathy down the phone ( or whenever you go bk in ) that is totally undeserved. So I'm really putting 100% into doing everything in my power to help my skin inc, good skincare products, good natural supps inc ones that balance hormones, eating v clean, I started using a tincture of viola tricolor ( pansey ) as I've heard this is a good herbal remedy, no dairy/sugar and today I even went and bought some chemical-free laundry detergant from the Health Food shop just incase something in the one I've been using is aggravating my skin when I'm asleep on my pillowcase.

So I hope things hurry up and improve. Trying not to stress too much as that just aggravates things, I know. It's horrible having to lie and I resent being in this situation BIG TIME!!

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation?

Well that's exactly what I've done yesterday and today! I feel like a complete and utter shit about it. It's not like I'm a perpetual liar ordinarily either so it all just culminates in this horrible guilt that's bloody awful. I keep trying to justify it to make myself feel better....."It's not like anyone's gonna die if I don't turn in, it's an inconvenience for my colleagues at worst" But I hate being off sick when it's genuine so this is just crap. You end up getting monitored if you're off too much and I don't wanna shitty sick record.

But at the mo, the state of my skin, mainly on my chin, is horrendous and cannot be covered by the usual concealer as it's all bumpy and scabby. I can't abide it when people go to talk to you and their eyes go, for a fraction of a sec, to the area you're trying to pretend isn't there yourself. It just reminds you constantly of it's presence.

Then there's the urge to go to the toilets often just so you can check a head hasn't started to emerge through the camoflage (sp) or that the scab/skin isn't peeling away. That's happened to me before and you just think "God no wonder people are looking at me there, I only checked it in the mirror 2hrs ago!"

So I rang in with some BS excuse. Also it adds to the guilt when you get sympathy down the phone ( or whenever you go bk in ) that is totally undeserved. So I'm really putting 100% into doing everything in my power to help my skin inc, good skincare products, good natural supps inc ones that balance hormones, eating v clean, I started using a tincture of viola tricolor ( pansey ) as I've heard this is a good herbal remedy, no dairy/sugar and today I even went and bought some chemical-free laundry detergant from the Health Food shop just incase something in the one I've been using is aggravating my skin when I'm asleep on my pillowcase.

So I hope things hurry up and improve. Trying not to stress too much as that just aggravates things, I know. It's horrible having to lie and I resent being in this situation BIG TIME!!

Has anyone ever been in a similar situation?

Definitely. I've taken many days off in the past. I used to get really bad cystic acne. One time one cyst took over about half of my nose and pus heads all over the place. It was seriously grim! I actually took about 3 weeks off as it took so long to heal, I just couldn't face going in to work in such a state. I actually ended up leaving that job because I couldn't take the comments.

I would say it all led to a type of body dysmorphia with me, and still have that now. I'd also say try not to avoid things with acne, like I do so much. Easy to say in hindsight, but I feel it made it worse for me longer term.

Eventually I got a job working from home, and late accutane sorted the cysts out. Now I keep acne at bay via a heavy veg diet.

I haven't, but have definitely thought about it in the past! Luckily I teach six year olds who don't really care what I look like, I just try to hide areas as best I can from other coworkers when I have a bad breakout.

its a medical condition. so i dont see the problem with taking time off because of it.

i can't because if i did get into that habbit, i'd not have a job

Pulled a "sickie" a few times. I also dislike the idea of doing it so often I just think "Get over it and who cares what people think" but there have been days where I just couldn't face leaving the house. Missed some good nights out too because of acne and I'm more pissed off about that than missing a few days at works. The amount of times I've had to cancel last minute due to a bad breakout. Always had acne in some form or another for the past 20 years but luckily it goes in phases of mild to bad so at times I can relax but I'm very conscious that a white head can spring up within the blink of an eye so I tend to check the mirror often. DK's Regimen is making a big difference now though, just wish I had found it sooner!

I've taken time off from work and felt guilty about it too. But why? I mean we have a medical condition and sometimes it gets out of control and we need R&R if nothing else. If someone else had their disease flare up they'd take time off without guilt so why can't we???? I think it's because of the myths surrounding acne...that it's just for teens and you outgrow it...or because most people can ignore an occasional pimple...or if like the magazines say you just followed a good cleansing regime you wouldn't have trouble so it's your fault, etc, etc. And then in addition to missing work we feel guilty...there must have been something we could do to avoid this problem because obviously all the magazines and beauty experts say so...

But if you're flaring badly and your skin is red and you have pus-filled blemishes I think it's a different story. I have to keep reminding myself that actually adult acne is different than teen acne in that something's wrong with our bodies that we keep on being affected by the hormones that cause acne and/or we have rosacea which is genetically an inflammatory disease that can also look like acne. In fact many adults with acne acutally have rosacea or their teen acne has morphed into rosacea.

So don't feel bad about taking a sick day. Relax, enjoy the time off, have confidence that you are a good person dealing with a bad disease.

its a medical condition. so i dont see the problem with taking time off because of it.

i can't because if i did get into that habbit, i'd not have a job

I understand where you're coming from, but the logic just doesn't work. You had that medical condition the day before when you went to work, and will have it still tomorrow when you go back.

Yes acne is a chronic medical problem but sometimes it flares up...just like diabetics can have a flare up or other chronic diseases have a flare up and they sometimes take a sick day. So why not someone with acne? Makes sense to me!

Yes acne is a chronic medical problem but sometimes it flares up...just like diabetics can have a flare up or other chronic diseases have a flare up and they sometimes take a sick day. So why not someone with acne? Makes sense to me!

Acne isn't life-threatening except in so far as someone's mental state dwells on the self-imposed misery of having it.

I've done it a few times. I work in a clothing store so I feel like my appearance is more important than it would be for some other jobs. I stayed home a lot more in high school because it was only affecting myself and didn't feel guilty like I do when I miss work.

i think its a medical condition and you should allow your self a day or two off if you have a serious breakout, but if you decide to go to work, then how productive will you be anyway because that nasty acne breakout will be own your mind constantly..it happen to me and all i could do is think about that large cystic acne on my face, i would not even move out of my desk and i didn't want to see nobody, because you could tell they was looking at that thing on my face, i know one thing it sucks to have acne, thank god right now my acne is under control, but now you have to deal with the leftover scars..gessh!!!

Edited by teemac1974

I've done it a few times. I work in a clothing store so I feel like my appearance is more important than it would be for some other jobs. I stayed home a lot more in high school because it was only affecting myself and didn't feel guilty like I do when I miss work.

I feel like that, too. I work as a bartender at a busy downtown restaurant, and the lights above the bar are very bright, so I know everyone can see how bad my face is. I've never called in but I have given up shifts because I'm so embarrassed.