Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mwd

Is accutane anti-androgenic?

From what I understand, what Accutane actually does to stop acne is unknown. It indirectly causes your skin to produce less sebum, which is obviously a huge factor in acne for some people who have it.

But I have never read anything about Accutane being anti-androgenic. I wouldn't be surprised if it had an affect on the endocrine system, since Accutane seems to affect so many different parts of your body. However, I think any impact on androgens would be very slight.

I know my own experience isn't proof of anything one way or the other, but when I took Accutane it didn't help that much. Some places I had acne cleared, and others got worse, even after a full course. But when I started the birth control Yasmin, which definitely is anti-androgenic, I saw huge improvements. So they don't have the same mechanism!

As a cancer drug (The original use of accutane) the mechanism of action is it's

ability to cause apoptosis (voluntary cell death)

As an Acne drug The mechanism of action is claimed to be unknown, yes it slows sebum production down, but how?

Accutane effects your whole body not just your face so that is similar to it's usage as a cancer drug.

Could it be that the mechanism of action for the Acne application is the same as for the Cancer application? Cell death?

If it isn't the same then why isn't the Acne application localized to the face instead of being systemic?

I just don't get how cell death connects to Acne though, maybe because it kills the skin cells that build up inside a hair follicle?

It does not explain the bizarre and latent side effects either.

13-cis-retinoic acid is a dht inhibitor. it is anti-androgenic.

Okay, so the mechanism for stopping Acne in Isotretinoin is by reducing the production of androgens

therby reducing the production of sebum. I understand this effect is permanent in some peoples cases.

but... how does 13-cis-retinoic acid inhibit androgen production?

what's to stop it from ALSO starting the mechanism of action that is used against Cancer?

This stuff is not picky, it just does what it does effecting the whole body, it has no idea it's intended

purpose is to get rid of Acne.

it's all 13-cis-retinoic acid. The stuff they use for Cancer treatment is no different than the stuff

they use for Acne.

Could cell death that be the "exact' mechanism of which they claim is unknown? I doubt Roche would want to admit that the mechanism of action was system-wide cell death.

I just want to know the difference between The isotretinoin they use to treat cancer and the isotretinoin they use in Accutane, Isotrex etc. for Acne.

There is no difference. The mechanism for 13-cis-retinoic acid for treating acne is unknown

But as a known cancer-agent, one of its mechanism of course is inducing apoptosis in fast proliferating cells. Another mechanism is reducing the production of androgens.

Maybe the two mechanisms are related, maybe they both work together to stop acne. In the end, who the hell knows?

13-cis-retinoic acid is a dht inhibitor. it is anti-androgenic.

Okay, so the mechanism for stopping Acne in Isotretinoin is by reducing the production of androgens

therby reducing the production of sebum. I understand this effect is permanent in some peoples cases.

but... how does 13-cis-retinoic acid inhibit androgen production?

what's to stop it from ALSO starting the mechanism of action that is used against Cancer?

This stuff is not picky, it just does what it does effecting the whole body, it has no idea it's intended

purpose is to get rid of Acne.

it's all 13-cis-retinoic acid. The stuff they use for Cancer treatment is no different than the stuff

they use for Acne.

Could cell death that be the "exact' mechanism of which they claim is unknown? I doubt Roche would want to admit that the mechanism of action was system-wide cell death.

I just want to know the difference between The isotretinoin they use to treat cancer and the isotretinoin they use in Accutane, Isotrex etc. for Acne.

test test

I keep trying to reply to you but it keeps disappearing.

Let me guess this one will work?

Edit: Nevermind it got moved.

Edited by bio_nerd

test test

I keep trying to reply to you but it keeps getting deleted.

Let me guess this one will work?

Your debate post got moved to the accutane debate thread.