Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My parents wont schedual an appointment with a derm.. i have no idea what they're thinking. Ive had pretty severe acne for 2 years and its pretty much ruined my life. im so self conscious about it.

Ive been to my doctor and he put me on anti biotics for a few months. they never ended up doing anything but drying out my skin. since then ive been trying random products and dans regiment. nothing worked. i still have pretty bad acne and sometimes small cysts. but my parents keep telling me my acne isnt even noticeable and i dont need products. and i can tell they arnt just trying to be nice. and i apparently cant see a derm because they will tell me the only other option is accutane, which they wouldnt let me try. blaaahhh dont even know why im writing this just needed to rant

post-133127-1285724819_thumb.jpg

post-133127-1285724819_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look as bad as you make it sound. Listen to your parents if that's what they insist about you not seeing a derm. My parents are the complete opposite.

I am on the same boat as you for trying everything but nothing seems to work. Only time will cure it. Try not to use so many products as well. I know my advice is crappy but just wanted to let you know that it honestly doesn't look that bad. I've seen worse.

I agree that your acne is not that bad, but I totally understand about being self-conscious about acne, I am exactly the same way. You can have your doctor talk to your parents and say that it would be best for you to see a dermatologist for the best treatment. If your parents are concerned about accutane, have them come in the appt with you and see the dermatologist and allow your parents to voice their concerns and get answers to their questions. I mean accutane is a last resort and there may be other options avaliable to you that the dermatologist would like to try. I know that parents can be stubborn, but you have to be stubborn too and tell them how this is effecting you emotionally. Just be honest with them and try to find a comprimise

yea i know its not that bad but i feel its bad enough i should have seen a dermatologist by now.. and it has only gotten worse. im not saying i need accutane either. i would never take it unless it gets a lot worse and i have no other options. i mean i realize that there are way more lighter treatments and stuff available but they dont

I will echo what others say...your acne is barely above mild. I would also add though that YOUR perception is what really matters. As for your derm always prescribing you accutane, any good dermatologist shouldn't use that as their first course of treatment. As you can see by the org alone there are countless treatments for acne.

I suggest perhaps posting in the mild to moderate acne forum and seeking potential treatments there. Don't give up on your parents, I understand how frustrating it can be though. We are here for you, if that means anything. =)

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Have you tried Dan's regimen? Your acne is very mild. Not really noticeable. I know you feel bad, but you parents probably have good reasons for saying no. I went to a dermatologist and it was worthless. You just need to figure out an OTC regimen that works for you.

(I am not doing the CSR because I am of childbearing age and may want to conceive soon, and BP is "safety unknown" for pregnant women).

Good luck. You're young and cute. There's more the life than hating your skin.

i totally understand parents just don't give a damm about your looks..

good luck i gave acne scar too

Tell your parents that any SANE dermatologist would not start you out on Accutane. I had to try a lot of stuff before Accutane. Antibiotics like Solodine, and Doryx. to good ol' topicals like Epiduo, Tazorac, Ziana, etc. A derm who just gives you Accutane JUST meeting you can not be trusted, unless of course you give him a list from a past derm of stuff you tried, dermatologist understand the seriousness of Accutane and would MUCH rather you try something less harmful before having to resort to Accutane (PSST, my acne was exactly like yours when i started Accutane)

My parents wont schedual an appointment with a derm.. i have no idea what they're thinking. Ive had pretty severe acne for 2 years and its pretty much ruined my life. im so self conscious about it.

Ive been to my doctor and he put me on anti biotics for a few months. they never ended up doing anything but drying out my skin. since then ive been trying random products and dans regiment. nothing worked. i still have pretty bad acne and sometimes small cysts. but my parents keep telling me my acne isnt even noticeable and i dont need products. and i can tell they arnt just trying to be nice. and i apparently cant see a derm because they will tell me the only other option is accutane, which they wouldnt let me try. blaaahhh dont even know why im writing this just needed to rant

Im 22 and my parents too never wanted to take care of my acne products...Almost all my acne products came from my birthday money or summer job money, im still in college, but i saved up money (at first it was my "first car" fund but it seems i have to wait to have a car after i do my tane treament...FUUUUUUUUUHHH) and i will do it this upcoming summer or this spring. I'm just afraid summer might make my initial breakout really bad :(

But yeah i had parents just like yours,,,at times i had to beg them and beg them to help me,,,Ok one time for like 3 months they helped me to buy retin-a micro and minocycline but then after that they were like...if you want a pretty face then you buy your acne products,

Pretty much "its your problem not mine, deal with it"

Bastards

AND I ABSOLUTELY HATE WHEN PEOPLE SAY "ITS NOT THAT NOTICEABLE OR YOUR ACNE DOESN"T LOOK THAT BAD". THE TRUTH IS , ACNE isn't just a ONE DAY thing, ITs persistent, and it wont go away, and it leaves scars and it destroys your face if you don't take care of it, Acne after years and years of deteriorating your face destroys your self image.

PROACTIVE does not work on ACNE, it works only for "SUDDEN" breakouts or stubborn pimple that wont go away...

Acne is not sudden, its persistent and for most of us getting to our mid twenties its scary to think that we might just have persistent acne all throughout our lives.

Its like 'you're screwed either way if you do or you dont try Accutane" it's just hope that makes you go foward.

Edited by Lakestone Park