Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rivercat

How can I stop Sebaceous Filaments from forming?

I feel like I've been through it all. Figured out the fix for all my skin problems...except for the production of Sebaceous Filaments!!! I effing HATE them. Everytime I look in the mirror at work, there's like hundreds of them inside all of the pores all over my cheeks.

All I want in this world is for them to dissapear. Now...I think that what is causing them to form is the over production of oil...but how am I overproducing oil? I wash my face 2 times a day...once in the morning/afternoon and once before bed. My skin has become pretty oily over the past few months, so I've been washing with Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Cleanser, exfoliating with the Weightless Body Treatment with 2% BHA, and moisturizing with the Skin Balancing Moisture Gel to keep the oil down and also exfoliate the clogged pore problems. I try to use all 3 before bed every night, but in the morning I usually just wash and use the Body Treatment as a spot treatment and the Moisture Gel in flaky dry spots. Now these all take care of the oilyness and clogged pore problems for the most part, but WHAT ABOUT THE DAMN LITTLE WHITE/BLACK STRINGS AND FLAKES OF CRAP I CAN EASILY SCRATCH OR POP OUT OF MY PORES? -___-

I take a multivitamin, 2 fish oils, 2 flaxseed oils and a vitamin C every day. I spread out the Omega's...are they possibly causing the overproduction of oil? If so, I need stuff to keep my skin looking flushed and red. I don't mind cutting down to those One A Day fish oils that I saw in the store. Ugh...what can I do? I blow up my cheeks in the mirrors and there's just tiny white dots like everywhere. Help me, please. What can I topically apply or what I can interally take to stop? I need a fix, so bad. :(

Edited by Joey T

dont exfoliate as much. cut it down to like twice a week. and dont be too harsh on your skin. use lotion. oil production is natural but its a bitch, i know.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Hmm, I'm definetly gonna cut down on the exfoliating and stuff that are drying my face...but it's not even my nose that I'm concerned about. The pores in my cheeks are like full of crap, idk if they're blackheads or sebaceous filaments. Anyone have any good tips to get rid of them or keep my pores clean? Nothing really seems to work. -____-

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Try taking 50 mg of zinc and vitamin B5. Last resort would be using jojoba oil as a cleanser

Thanks guys. I'm gonna give the zinc a try again and try out the B5. I think I'm gonna just start using a cleanser and nothing else. The crap that I think are blackheads, I think are really sebaceaous filaments cause they are infact pretty much the same size as eachother and pretty much in every pore. I know blackheads are treatable and usually feel more like a bump or a clog. These things are more flake like and ready to come out. There's pretty much no trouble scrapping or popping them out. Ugh, it feels so hopeless, making me extremely depressed. >_<

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

I know haha :]

I'm realize that they are not black at all. They're just white strings sticking out of my pores. They gotta be sebaceous filaments, eh?

Edited by Joey T

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

I know haha :]

I'm realize that they are not black at all. They're just white strings sticking out of my pores. They gotta be sebaceous filaments, eh?

I'm pretty much rid of all acne, but still having the blackhead/sebaceous filament problem as well. Mine are on my nose, though. I haven't been able to, for the life of me, find out which one it really is.. But I think they're sebaceous filaments because when reading up on it, i found that it's apparently very easy to get the 'gunk' out of those but blackheads are much harder to force to the surface. Apparently it really is from oily skin and that's pretty much genetic/natural because, just like you, I do everything right so I don't know how my skin is oily. Have you ever thought of getting a facial? Haha I know it may seem gay but they make guy facials for a reason.. It's definitely something to consider because they're professionals so they can extract it correctly without causing more problems or acne.

Sebaceous Filaments are the small filaments that form a “worm-like†exudate upon extraction. They usually appear around the nose and in oily areas.

Try not to use a skin products

As suggested above, I would recommend jojoba oil + vitamin E oil. I have filaments, blackheads, large pores, but for the past 2 weeks I have been using jojoba oil + vitamin E oil to moisturize and lift plugs from my pores. My skin's texture has noticeably improved, and the sebaceous filaments are less apparent. Prior to this I was over-drying my skin through use of an AHA/BHA cleanser, Queen Helen's Mint Julep Mask, and Differin. But now, although my routine remains the same, I have just added the use of jojoba oil + vitamin E oil to moisturize and I think this has helped to "balance" my skin. At first it seemed really counterintuitive to me given the fact that my skin is just so naturally oily, but after reading about the OCM I gave it a try and my skin has responded well. Before my skin was being over-dried and subsequently produced tons of oil. Also, the vitamin E oil has helped reduce the appearance of some mild scarring. Good luck.

Guest Timehealsall
As suggested above, I would recommend jojoba oil + vitamin E oil. I have filaments, blackheads, large pores, but for the past 2 weeks I have been using jojoba oil + vitamin E oil to moisturize and lift plugs from my pores. My skin's texture has noticeably improved, and the sebaceous filaments are less apparent. Prior to this I was over-drying my skin through use of an AHA/BHA cleanser, Queen Helen's Mint Julep Mask, and Differin. But now, although my routine remains the same, I have just added the use of jojoba oil + vitamin E oil to moisturize and I think this has helped to "balance" my skin. At first it seemed really counterintuitive to me given the fact that my skin is just so naturally oily, but after reading about the OCM I gave it a try and my skin has responded well. Before my skin was being over-dried and subsequently produced tons of oil. Also, the vitamin E oil has helped reduce the appearance of some mild scarring. Good luck.

how do you remove these plugs on your nose? Do they just fall off when they fall off, or do you manually remove them?

Sounds like you've been infected with a 'nematode' dude. Bummer. I am as well and if you want to really trip hard, start scra Fookin`GODtching one of those dark freckles 'the black spots on your skin. They will either break up into lots of tiny black dots and scatter or they will all move in a pack.

Morgellans Disease is the name for this shitty disease I am trying to shake. I`ve lost 35 pounds in 6 months and I look like death. I am trying an herbal parasite remover treatment. Paragone. I hope this works but from what I`ve heard this bug is very complex and can survive almost anything. I had the wormy larvae form on a fudgcicle in the freezer. I guess the little guys can survive below zero temperatures and by the looks of things they can bite their way through plastic wrappers. Good fookin`GOD !! String the basterd up by the balls whoever genetically modified this critter.

Keepupwioth the vitamins and add some expensive probiotics to the list of pills you`re taking. Maybe a prayer or two might help.

Check out www.Morgellans.com and study up if you want to shake the bugs.

Oh ya and if you scare easliy, DON`T look at yourself under a black light.

But look at your clothing under UV lights and you`ll crap a load at the amount of white toxic secretions everywhere. Food isn`t safe to eat unless it`s right from a can. Those white wormy things form in almost anything, in the freezer to boot....no lie.

Well, that`s enough monster talk for now. Magnesium, B6-B12, Probiotics, Multivitaminst...GARLIC pills Maybe a round of atibiotics would help, not sure, Cipro did nothing for me, maybe I`ll try Ivermectin or Doxycycline, heard good things about the Doxycycline.

Cheer up and start the fight man.......we can beat this thing if we put our minds to it.....I just can`t stop eating sugar though and that feeds their hunger good. While they steal all your nutrients from the intestines.

Try spitting in a glass water, if your spit dangles down stringythings, you have a yeast infection as well, look hard and you`ll see tiny bannana shaped white toxic wormy larvae,in your pee and poop too, probably in your semen as well.

I hope this doesn`t kill me. Let`s all hope for the best eh!!

Peace

chemalien

I have these stupid sebaceous filaments and whiteheads all over my face too!!! It is so frustrating that I can't get rid of them!!

I always wonder if my skin produces more oil because I use drying products on my skin... I wonder if it is over-producing oil because of this.

Maybe it might be worth trying more oil-based products that won't clog the skin.

Jojoba oil sounds good - maybe I should try that...

If anyone ever finds a good treatment for this, please post it!!! desperate for some ideas!!!

Lol... I get these on my nose like hella bad, it's only natural I guess. I used to squeeze them. They'de just come back. Blah blah blah. Now, whenever I get out of the shower, I dry my face with a washcloth and then rub off the filaments that have become water-logged from the water. They come off with just a whipe. I do this every day.

Accutane??

THERE HAS TO BE CURE!!!!!!!!

By the way dude, I also drink fish oils, it keeps my other acne away. Could it be that the fish oils keeps with the other stuff away but causes this sabacusbablahblah to form?

OH and yeah, this stuff is best treated by not treating them AT ALL, really :( :(.

Edited by soloness

Disclaimer - a big post, but only because this actually works and I want to help share my good fortune with as many as possible.

For years I have suffered from a very similar problem as you describe. My nose and cheek area were afflicted with large open pores. Inside each of the pores i had what I describe as 'little granials' which i am likening to be the same as what you call 'sebaceous filaments'.

I had previously tried everything, from all the products you can buy over the counter; your $15 special all the way up to $180 for a single cleanser. In addition to products I had also tried lazer and microderm treatments and got no where.

Now 7 years of trying all of the above with pretty much next to no change I hit the jackpot.

I can happily say that out of the 80-100 open pores with little granials in them on my face I'm down to about only 10 which are now getting to be as good as closed!

So i'll step out the process for you.

And FYI for those people who don't match the exact symptoms above read on as you can use a variation to what I am describing to suit you own individual case, it's all very logical as you will soon see!

I'll start with what I believe was the root cause in my case, this will help you get an understanding as to why there is method and logic to fixing your problem, it's not an incurable curse!

My Root Cause:

Years ago I only got the odd pimple. Vanity and curiosity got the best of me and I started using a Toner to control oil. I applied the toner each night (not following up by a moisturiser - stupid) and I started to notice that the pores around my nose were opening and slowly started to spread to the rest of my face and the little granials soon followed. I stopped after about 2 weeks but the damage had already been done. I caused my skin to dry out. But, we humans are a hardy bunch, so my oil glans got to their battle stations and started to produce excess oil to combat the Toner - the bodys natural defence to help.

But a viscous cycle had begun, my skin was now in what I call 'war mode' producing excess oil and clogging my pores. As the oil (sebum) came in contact with air they began to harden producing the little granials (effectively crap inside the pores).

So on i went over the past 7 years attempting to win the battle using the above mentioned treatments. In effect I was only feeding fuel to the fire, hitting my face with more and more harsh things. My skin was only doing its job, it kept producing more oil to sooth my face! And on the cycle went.

Solution!

I started reading up on Oil Control Method.

FYI handy reference sites:

In summary OCM gets you back to basics. Instead of all the man made cleansers and toners you put on your face - which is like giving coke cola to a plant and hoping it will be healthy - you substitute natural oils. Sounds hippy like, airy fairy I know, and I'm a guy so it was a leap for me to try but I am thanking the Gods I did!

In short instead of adding fuel to the fire, I started to address the root cause - I needed my skin to start producing less oil, which in turn would allow my pores to close. (logical)

So for my problem I used a combination of JoJoba (pronounced HoHoBa) oil, Castor oil and finally Rose Hip Oil. Why those oils? JoJoba is nearly a replica of our bodies own sebum oil and helps to trick your skin into thinking it already has enough oil so no need for it to keep producing excess. It's a two in one, it helps keep your skin fresh and moisturised whilst at the same time tricking your over producing oil glans (that are in battle stations mode) to stand down - why do they need to keep producing excess oil if they think there is already enough?

So whilst I was addressing the over production of oil, I still needed to clean my skin, which is where the Castor oil comes in. Castor oil is a natural cleanser. It clings on to dirt and grime, and once you have gone through the OCM cleaning method by the time you wash the oil off your face the dirt is lifted away with the oil in a non abrasive/harsh way. Hence we want to avoid causing our skin to think it needs to produce more oil!

The Rose Hip? Ill explain, but keep this in mind first, your skin is a living organism its capable of adapting and changing over time and to due to external factors (like what we put on it!). When I starte with OCM I got instant gains, but then platoued at around 65% improvement. And then I'd say it dropped down to 50% one week, which is when I read up on Rose Hip Oil and the revitalizing properties it has and decided to add it to the mix. Within days I was boosted up by another 10-20% overall skin improvement. So, my real point here is keep in mind that what OCM method you decide to start with, experiment with it according to your own skins symptoms.

So, for me I played around with the percentages to get the oil mix right. Because i primarily needed to get my oil glands to stand down from 'war mode', I used about 75% JoJoBa and 25% Castor and about 6-8 drops of Rose Hip. As each persons skin is different you can adjust those percentages as the symptoms dictate.

My daily routine is this.

Morning:

I wash my face with water - yes only water! After I have dried off I put 3 drops of Rose Hip Oil and 2 drops of JoJoBa on my fingers tips and rub that into my face well - all over my face. (Letting my skin know that there is no need to start over producing, I'm giving it exactly what it needs to start the day). Also I've found its important I apply to my whole face not just the problem area, your whole face is connected one why or another.

Evening:

I go through the OCM method and massage in 75% JoJoba 25% Castor and about 6-8 drops of Rose Hip Oil to my face-. (all the oil combined is about a half a coke caps worth of oil). I do this infront of the TV, and generally go for as long as the show is on for - 20 min or so.

Once I have rubbed the oil in all over my face I then pour boiled water into a bowl cover my head with a towel and let the steam do the rest. This is where the oil you have rubbed into your skin that has attached itself to all the dirt in your pores is drawn out by the steam. After about 2 minutes I pull out a *clean* wash cloth, put mild-to-hot water on it and wipe all the excess oil off my face. I try to avoid using the same part of the cloth as to be sure im not just wiping the same oil back on my face. Also its very important you wipe all the oil off. Once done I splash my face with cold water. At this point my skin feels pretty awesome. Finally like the morning i put 3 drops of Rose Hip Oil and 2 drops of JoJoba on my finger tips and rub in.

Then once a week before my evening OCM process I first exfoliate with a good quality exfoliant (I use bio therm). I'm sure you could put together some natural exfoliant but for now this is what I use.

That's it, each day my skin is getting better and better and I have been using OCM for about 4 months now. Resolving your own skin problem is logical - consider it logical and look at your symptoms as such - and use the OCM to address your own skin type. If it doesn't work perfect day 1, adjust your oil mix until you have a perfect mix for your own skin!

Truly I hope this helps people like it has done for me and knowing what I now know I believe logically any acne condition could be resolved, if not greatly alleviated by following the above method. If it helps you please let me know it will make my day knowing someone else's skin is healthy again. :)

Cheers Andy

Thanks for your post Andy - it's very helpful!

It's great that you have found something that works for you, and you are right about looking at this problem logically and trying to work out the root cause. It is such a frustrating condition and it is so hard to find a cure!

I am really interested in trying the Oil Control Method. I am going to look into joboba, castor and rose hip oil like you've suggested.

Also, something interesting I read online about essential fatty acid deficiency and non inflammatory acne:

"Linoleic acid is an essential fatty acid that the sebaceous glands use as a normal component of sebum. Essential fatty acids are required by the body and most people are more familiar with linoleic as omega 6 oil, flaxseed oil, safflower oil, evening primrose oil, or a number of other terms. Essential fatty acids are very powerful anti-inflammatory agents. Subsequently, sebum made with linoleic acid is actually calming to the skin and follicles.

Modern foods have avoided essential fatty acids in favor of "designer" lipids like trans-fatty acids and research has found links suggesting that trans-fats may break down the body's supply of beneficial essential fatty acids. When linoleic acid is not available in the skin, the sebaceous glands produce sebum with oleic acid and this form of sebum is irritating to the skin. It promotes blockage that causes blackheads, whiteheads and acne. Some scientists have suggested that sebum produced with oleic acid is drier, firmer and therefore it promotes blockage within the follicles, such as blackheads and whiteheads.

Due to low consumption of essential fatty acids or high consumption of trans-fats or hereditary factors that frequently involve digestive enzyme issues, some people have systemic deficiency of essential fatty acids and linoleic acid. This condition becomes a driving factor in acne and other skin problems. "

I found this quite interesting! Anyone have any thoughts on fatty acid/ linoleic acid deficiency and whitehead/sebum plugs?

Apparently, hemp seed oil has a lot of essential fatty acids / linoleic acid. Has anyone used hemp seed oil on their skin?? I am curious to try it!

It's great that you have found something that works for you, and you are right about looking at this problem logically and trying to work out the root cause. It is such a frustrating condition and it is so hard to find a cure!

I am really interested in trying the Oil Control Method. I am going to look into joboba, castor and rose hip oil like you've suggested.

Also, something interesting I read online about essential fatty acid deficiency and non inflammatory acne:

"Linoleic acid is an essential fatty acid that the sebaceous glands use as a normal component of sebum. Essential fatty acids are required by the body and most people are more familiar with linoleic as omega 6 oil, flaxseed oil, safflower oil, evening primrose oil, or a number of other terms. Essential fatty acids are very powerful anti-inflammatory agents. Subsequently, sebum made with linoleic acid is actually calming to the skin and follicles.

Modern foods have avoided essential fatty acids in favor of "designer" lipids like trans-fatty acids and research has found links suggesting that trans-fats may break down the body's supply of beneficial essential fatty acids. When linoleic acid is not available in the skin, the sebaceous glands produce sebum with oleic acid and this form of sebum is irritating to the skin. It promotes blockage that causes blackheads, whiteheads and acne. Some scientists have suggested that sebum produced with oleic acid is drier, firmer and therefore it promotes blockage within the follicles, such as blackheads and whiteheads.

Due to low consumption of essential fatty acids or high consumption of trans-fats or hereditary factors that frequently involve digestive enzyme issues, some people have systemic deficiency of essential fatty acids and linoleic acid. This condition becomes a driving factor in acne and other skin problems. "

I found this quite interesting! Anyone have any thoughts on fatty acid/ linoleic acid deficiency and whitehead/sebum plugs?

Apparently, hemp seed oil has a lot of essential fatty acids / linoleic acid. Has anyone used hemp seed oil on their skin?? I am curious to try it!

Sup dude!! I also read that online. Actually I went this morning and bought EVENING PRIMROSE OIL. Which main ingredient is GLA(Gamma Linolenic Acid) and LA(Linoleic acid). I'll let you know how it goes, if it does actually help. I really hope so! oh yea, if you can find borage oil, it contains a lot more GLA than evening primrose oil. thing is it costs like 300% more than EPO.

Sup dude!! I also read that online. Actually I went this morning and bought EVENING PRIMROSE OIL. Which main ingredient is GLA(Gamma Linolenic Acid) and LA(Linoleic acid). I'll let you know how it goes, if it does actually help. I really hope so! oh yea, if you can find borage oil, it contains a lot more GLA than evening primrose oil. thing is it costs like 300% more than EPO.

Okay guys. I stopped taking the EPO oil pills. It DID have a great effect on my nose pores. What happens is when I drink the pill about an hour later ALL the pores ALL over my nose kept pushing out white/yellow sebum like CRAZY. but it wasn't liquid it was semi solid(you DONT want that). Also please note that in less than a month ago I stopped taking accutane after being on it for 2.5 weeks SO maybe that is why my sebum is still dryer and not liquidy.

I think you guys should really give EPO a try. I am going to wait another month or so for the accutane to stop affecting my oil production an then try this stuff again and see what happens.

btw I didnt take a pill this morning and the shit stopped coming out of my pores.

Edited by soloness