Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EricaDer

Erica's Regimen Log - with PICS!

Hi there!

I'm 33 (34 in October) and have always suffered from acne. Years ago, my saving grace was Proactiv, but at some point it quit working for me - I believe they changed (aka "improved") their formula, so I had to abandon it.

For the past few years I've tried a number of natural products, over the counter items, etc. with little success. The best thing that has worked for me is a plain old white Dove bar - completely cleared up my cystic acne, but the hormonal breakouts are still brutal, and I get regular breakouts from time to time.

I also recently abandoned my mineral makeup and SPF, and my skin has gotten better (went back to my old MAC Studiofix, and my face loves it, which is a shock since it contains talc and silicone!)

The last thing I've done is stop exfoliating with scrubs, and my skin is calmer.

But I'm still not satisfied with my face, I still get superficial breakouts week to week, and really bad ones around my period.

So I took the plunge and just received my regimen in the hopes that I can achieve the same success I had with the old Proactiv formula so many years ago.

Last night I started with the cleanser (LOVE), 1 pump of the treatment (felt fine at first but then I got really pink and itchy and my eyes swelled up, even though I was soooo careful to keep it away from my eyes!), and the moisturizer with a couple drops of jojoba (LOVE x 2).

So I popped some Benadryl and the irritation and eye swelling have improved, but I skipped the BP this morning because my face was far too irritated. I guess my face isn't as leather-like as I thought! I will reduce to 1/2 pump of BP starting tonight, and keep it even farther away from my eyes this time. I'll attempt the reduced BP amount twice daily from this point forward.

I will say that my skin does feel better just after the first application. LOL, let's hope it continues to improve!

Edited by EricaDer

Ok, last night I did a first wash with my trusted Dove bar, followed by Dan's cleanser, then 1/2 pump of BP FAR FAR FAR away from my eyes, and ended with Dan's moisturizer with a couple drops of jojoba oil. No burning! No swelling! So 1/2 pump is the right amount and I'll increase gradually from there.

Skin looks pretty good. I have two sprinklings of tiny whiteheads, like pinhead size, one over my right brow and one on my chin. I woke up with one small bump on my cheek, but it's not bad at all.

I just ordered the AHA lotion too, and will start including it in my routine in a few weeks, after I adjust to the BP.

I only did this on the first couple of days, before I had confidence in Dan's cleanser as make-up remover, lol. But I'm a believer now!

So after a week on the regimen I'm in love with my face! I am currently 99% clear and my skin is bright, my discoloration is fading, and I could go makeup-free without feeling bad or hiding my face. Please believe me when I tell you my face was a MESS just 2 weeks ago, and for 5+ years prior!

I have had one or two superficial bumps pop up here and there, then disappear as fast as they came, with no pain or marks at all, just a little bump that recedes the next day. The only acne spot I currently have on my face is just at the inner edge of my nostril, lol, and it HURTS! But it will go away in due time (it's a stubborn one).

I am still using just 1/2 a pump twice a day, and it's the perfect amount. I have my TOM coming up this week so starting this morning I upped the BP to about 2/3 of a pump, and will let you know how it goes. I always get hormonal breakouts on my cheeks and jawline, so I'm curious to see what the BP does for this! Is it possible I will get through my period un-blemished? SIGH - I believe it can happen!

I'm adding a couple drops of jojoba oil to 2 pumps of Dan's moisturizer twice per day, because I'm getting a little dry and flaky on my chin and under my nose. But the rest of my face isn't dry - Dan's moisturizer is working well for me.

Loading pics now and will post aSAP!

Pics!

Note that I'm wearing makeup in all of these photos, and apologies for the bad iphone pic quality!

Before starting the regimen (a little over a week ago), and note that this particular week my skin was looking better than usual because it was right in the middle of my cycle, after last month's hormonal breakout had mostly cleared up, leaving discoloration behind).

post-138550-1286207707_thumb.jpg

post-138550-1286207718_thumb.jpg

post-138550-1286207732_thumb.jpg

post-138550-1286207707_thumb.jpg

post-138550-1286207718_thumb.jpg

post-138550-1286207732_thumb.jpg

Edited by EricaDer

Received Dan's AHA cream last night and tried it for the first time. Skin was fine - a slight burning when I applied it, but my face was very smooth in the morning, and skin tone and evenness continues to improve with each day on the regimen. I plan to use the AHA cream every night and the regular moisturizer/jojoba oil every morning.

Started TOM today and ALWAYS get major breakouts on my cheeks and chin before and during my period. So far I have one new spot on my temple and one in my hairline (developed yesterday) and an old one fading on my jaw (popped up a few days ago), plus the nostril one I mentioned before lol, but all are superficial and you can't even see them because they aren't red or anything.

These are a FAR cry from my usual dark and angry discolorations, swelling, etc. The spots on my cheeks used to be so dark they looked purple, and I would have several clustered together. They rose up each month like clockwork, starting a few days before my period and lasting until several days after. It seemed that by the time they cleared up it was time for them to begin again!

But this time I'm staying clear - hope it lasts!!!

Pics taken a few moments ago :) Is it possible that one dose of the AHA cream already improved my skin? Comparing it to yesterday's pic, my skin looks brighter and more even, scarring less noticeable. Maybe I'm dreaming.

post-138550-1286293974_thumb.jpg

post-138550-1286293980_thumb.jpg

post-138550-1286293985_thumb.jpg

post-138550-1286293974_thumb.jpg

post-138550-1286293980_thumb.jpg

post-138550-1286293985_thumb.jpg

Edited by EricaDer

nice results already.

and good luck with your regimen, im starting mine soon!

Edited by keiko1

Checking in after a 10 day vacation. Considering I flew to the east coast, was in a wedding and then went on a 5-night cruise to Bermuda, followed by flying home to Washington, my skin held up ok. Towards the end I was less than diligent about my routine, and just after getting home I came down with the flu, so the past few days have been out the window.

I have a few spots, but overall not too bad and I know it's because I slacked off on the regimen during my trip, drank and smoked too much and slept too little :)

Fortunately I know that a week or so and sticking with the regimen will do the trick!

Wow your skin has improved so much! It makes me want to try the regimen! The difference in your before and after photos is amazing :)

I tend to get large (sometimes very tender) and red isolated pimples rather than superficial ones. Have you found the BP works well on those kind of spots, or are yours normally quite superficial/non inflamed pimples? Sorry if this question seems a bit random!! :)

I got these too, deep recurring cystic spots on my cheeks and standard variety acne elsewhere. The regimen has been miraculous for me! If/when I get spots now, they are superficial, hormone type, and clear up really fast. I am so surprised everytime I look at my bare face now!

The spots I got while I was sick (from slacking off on the regimen) are almost gone now - woot!

Hi all!

I just wanted to post an update!

Around Thanksgiving, I began developing a terrible allergy. Eyes swollen shut, burn-like rashes on my throat, anaphylaxis symptoms, just awful!

After LOTS of trial and error and testing, I learned that I have developed a spontaneous corn allergy. This is both with any corn based product I ingest as well as anything that touches my skin.

I'm not sure what could be in the AHA and regimen moisturizer that is corn-derived (or is cross-reactive), but I did determine that I'm allergic to both of them, though I can still use the BP. To test the regimen creams, I dabbed the tiniest dot onto my neck and the result (takes 8-12 hours after each application to develop the allergy response, which is why it took so long to figure out that the moisturizers were contributing to the problem) was a horrible burn that covered most of my throat and took 2 weeks to clear up.

I had to stop treatment for several months and am now back on the BP, once a day just at night, and have had lots of success with Boots No7 moisturizers and cosmetics. When I went off the regimen, my skin got bad again, and now that I'm back on the BP, I'm all clear.

So I will stick with the BP, but have to be super cautious going forward, and definitely can't use the acne.org moisturizer or AHA cream.

Edited by EricaDer

Updating with a pic. I've come a long way since the first pic posted above - I can't believe how bad my skin looked just a few months ago!

As I posted above, I can't use the Regimen moisturizers, so I've got a new "system" that has been miraculous, and works with my corn allergy limitation. Maybe this will help someone else!

Morning:

-wash with plain white dove bar

-exfoliate with Boots No7 microdermabrasion (just 2-3 times per week)

-apply Olay Regenerist eye cream

-apply Boots No7 Protect and Perfect Serum

-apply Boots No7 Advanced Hydration night creme (yes, I prefer the night version because I don't like putting spf on my face unless I'll have lots of sun exposure, so I get the night creams) because I have really dry skin.

-apply Boots No7 True Identity Foundation, followed by Boots No7 Mineral Foundation, plus my other makeup items.

Evening:

-wash with plain white dove bar

-apply Olay Regenerist eye cream

-apply acne.org BP

-apply thin layer of Boots No7 Intensive Moisture Face Mask to wear overnight

That's it! Boots products have been the find of my lifetime! Even if I skip the BP for a few days, I don't break out (except for the regular monthly hormonal breakouts) so at some point I might attempt using the BP less frequently. We shall see.

post-131828-1302900809_thumb.jpg

Edited by EricaD

Erica,

I just read your posts about your regimen and the difference in a just few months was amazing!

I'm 39 and have started getting large isolated pimples on my cheeks a couple years ago. I have very oily skin and don't really wear make up. The pimples are usually big, huge and painful and I hate them!

I am picking up some Boots products today. Thank you for your posts. Your skin looks BEAUTIFUL and so do you!