Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr President

Low Cumulative Dose

Hey guys, im heading towards the end of my accutane course and ive realised my cumulative dose is only 114mg/kgs. i realise this is a below the standard given. ah i feel my derm is so dodgy. is it likely to come back bad again after such a small dose?

im happy to be almost off it, but really sad at the same time if it didnt work :(

Edited by cartwheeling_monkey

Well did you stop getting pimples, if so low long ago in your course? and what was your dosage and for how long, and how bad was your acne, and your age, all that comes in to consideration too

oh thank you for your response.

ive had pretty consistent acne for around 12 years (im 23 now) with ongoing blackheads, whiteheads and closed comedomes. id get around 3-4 major pimples per week which i used to pick (now i have scarring). if i ever had anything sugary, it would immediately jump to 6-10.

i've always had excessively oily skin and would have a thick slick of it by around 10-11am. right before i went on accutane, my acne became cystic for the first time in my life and was that way for around 2-3 months before i went on accutane.

my course has been 7 months in total and yeah it works out to be 114mgs/day. i stopped getting pimples around a month ago, but my closed comedomes are still there. the doc says they will need to be extracted at some point.

i now realise ill probably need to bring salicylic acid into my skincare system (after accutane) to control the closed comedomes. i used BP for many years but yeah it didnt really control too much.

any advice would seriously be great.

Edited by cartwheeling_monkey

I would say, go to a different doctor. What's the point if you don't get the cumulative dose?

:think: If your cumulative does is 114mg/kg then that is in the recommended guidelines. The recommended cumulative does is between 100mg/kg - 120 mg/kg.

:think: If your cumulative does is 114mg/kg then that is in the recommended guidelines. The recommended cumulative does is between 100mg/kg - 120 mg/kg.

i kept reading it should be between 120 and 150mgs and the closer to 150mgs/kg - the better?

The recommended is between 100-150mg/kg, with the optimum to prevent a relapse being between 120-150mg/kg. There are lots of people who only take around the 100mg/kg amount though and stay clear, especially if you haven't had any new spots for a while.

The recommended is between 100-150mg/kg, with the optimum to prevent a relapse being between 120-150mg/kg. There are lots of people who only take around the 100mg/kg amount though and stay clear, especially if you haven't had any new spots for a while.

thanks so much for all your help guys :) i feel a little better now.

i realised my derm gave me 120mgs based on 60kgs. im actually 63kgs, hence the slightly lower dosage.

i still get a few spots, but only very occasionally. ive had a pimple come up on my chin and another on my arm. the one on my arm has gone away and it only took a day or two.

i still have closed comedomes but realise they will probably need to be extracted.

Cumulative dose is all dependent on how quickly you responded to the accutane. But it should be over 100mg/kg with 150mg/kg being at the top end for people that take longer to respond like I did.