Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dianabol

is it true that people who get acne from food get it because they can't gain weight/get fat?

theres lots of fat people out there whos diet consists of ice cream, chips, cookies, soda, not a single pimple

but skinny people out there with perfect diets, still breakout

Simply no.

I have 4% body fat and it's really hard for me to gain any weight. And I can control my acne with diet.

The answer is still no :D Fat people get acne too.

I think skinny people may be more often predisposed to getting acne though. But that doesn't mean they get acne because they don't gain weight easily.

There is still a possibility of a correlation between the way our bodies metabolize food. What makes skinny people not gain weight in spite of diet; what makes bigger people gain weight? Of course, not every skinny person with a bad diet gets acne or gains weight, and there are some bigger people who have acne. But I don't think you can quite dismiss the correlation that seems to exist in spite of the exceptions.

This is interesting. Plenty of skinny people don't have acne, and some people who are not skinny do get acne.

All I know is that I've weighed 125 lbs (plus/minus 5 lbs) consistently since I was 18 years old (I'm 5' 8"), no matter what I do for fitness (right now, it's just gentle yoga, and I am currently at the low end of my usual range). This is not "very thin" but it is below average, and I don't have to "work" to maintain my weight. However, I clearly have my dad's skin (he had acne when he was younger, my mother had maybe 5 pimples her whole life), and height, but my mom's naturally thin frame/build (my dad is your typical older middle aged guy with a gut and chubby face, while my mom is a size 2).

My brother had bad acne in high school, but is all clear now in his early 30s, but weighs 50lbs more. I wonder if there is something about my body type/hormones that makes me oil/acne prone and thin?

I always was big into the Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) theory on acne which is that it's a heat disease. When there is an excess of heat in the body then everything is constantly on overdrive, this includes metabolism.

When there is an excess of heat in the body then everything is constantly on overdrive, this includes metabolism.

Having hard time gaining weight/fat doesn't always mean that one has fast metabolism though.

I don't definitely have to eat any more than an average person to maintain my weight. And I don't have any other signs that would indicate having a fast metabolism.

When there is an excess of heat in the body then everything is constantly on overdrive, this includes metabolism.

Having hard time gaining weight/fat doesn't always mean that one has fast metabolism though.

I don't definitely have to eat any more than an average person to maintain my weight. And I don't have any other signs that would indicate having a fast metabolism.

I didn't say it was the case for everyone, clearly it isn't because as mentioned some overweight people also suffer from acne. I think there is a HUGE correlation though in a lot of cases.

Me personally in order to just maintain I have to eat 3000-3500 calories. I certainly have a fast metabolism and a bunch of heat signs. You may not have a fast metabolism but unless you have googled "Acne TCM" then you don't know whether or not you have other heat symptoms.

Again, this isn't the case always but I wouldn't be quick to dismiss it.

Edited by DeAntonio

There is still a possibility of a correlation between the way our bodies metabolize food. What makes skinny people not gain weight in spite of diet; what makes bigger people gain weight? Of course, not every skinny person with a bad diet gets acne or gains weight, and there are some bigger people who have acne. But I don't think you can quite dismiss the correlation that seems to exist in spite of the exceptions.

im positive theres a correlation

sure there are loads of skinny ppl who have clear skin and some fat people who have acne

but im almost certain there are more skinny people with acne then there are fat people with acne

There isn't necessarily a correlation. Correlation would indicate that these two phenomenon - being slim and having acne - pretty much always go hand in hand. Which, obviously, is not the case. It is far more likely that another variable is at work.

Before I started breaking out at the age of 14 and a half (3 years after hitting puberty), I was slim. Not skinny, but not fat - normal, healthy weight. I only started breaking out once I started using makeup and skin care products.

Basically, you guys are probably assuming that there is some significance to weight in terms of acne when in reality it's more likely a coincidence.

I don't think this is something that can be generalized across the population, but instead, something that might be characteristic to some people. I know quite a few people who are "eat anything I want, and stay skinny" who don't even exercise, but have acne prone skin (of various degrees of mildness or severity). But there are plenty of skinny people like that who don't have acne prone skin (i.e. my very slender, non-exercising husband, who before we moved in together was a "vegetarian" who ate cheese pizza, pasta and sauce, chocolate, peanut butter, coffee, and chocolate everyday, and I've only seen him with one tiny pimple ever). This doesn't mean that there is not a relationship in SOME people, between their fast metabolisms and acne.

It might be a TCM thing. I go to an acupuncturist, and they tell me I have a lot of heat. Heat can manifest itself in a number of ways though. It can be acne, it can be headaches, it came be digestive upset, etc. I do believe they are related in some people, but I don't think you can draw generalizable conclusions, like Western medicine seeks to do.

I don't think this is something that can be generalized across the population, but instead, something that might be characteristic to some people. I know quite a few people who are "eat anything I want, and stay skinny" who don't even exercise, but have acne prone skin (of various degrees of mildness or severity). But there are plenty of skinny people like that who don't have acne prone skin (i.e. my very slender, non-exercising husband, who before we moved in together was a "vegetarian" who ate cheese pizza, pasta and sauce, chocolate, peanut butter, coffee, and chocolate everyday, and I've only seen him with one tiny pimple ever). This doesn't mean that there is not a relationship in SOME people, between their fast metabolisms and acne.

It might be a TCM thing. I go to an acupuncturist, and they tell me I have a lot of heat. Heat can manifest itself in a number of ways though. It can be acne, it can be headaches, it came be digestive upset, etc. I do believe they are related in some people, but I don't think you can draw generalizable conclusions, like Western medicine seeks to do.

I'm about to start seeing an acupuncturist this week, already set up an appointment for Wednesday morning :)

How do you like it? You think it helps at all?

Personal anectodal experience:

Ive always been super skinny with a very fast metabolism

Currently Im 5 foot 8 inches, 140 lbs, low bodyfat

Im on Accutane now so I can each pretty much whatever without breaking out or getting oily skin

But when Im not on the drug I break out extremely easily from food -- just eating a lot of calories in general, even from healthy food can still break me out, but I break out easily from all the common acne foods: sugar, dairy, etc

Before I was really into lifting weights and trying to get super muscular and stuff and I the highest I weight was 160, same bodyfat as now, fairly good deal of muscle

Back then I was eating 6-8 meals everyday, 3500-4000+ calories a day to maintain and build my body, and even though I was eating so much I was still barely gaining weight at a very slow pace -- I would literally have to force feed myself up to 5000 caloires a day for weeks to just gain a pound or two

However although the weight went on my body with lots of effort the skin on my face was ALWAYS extremely oily annd severe acne prone

now Ive stopped that crazy bodybuilding lifestyle and eat about half of the calories I used to eat

altho ive lost weight my skin is A LOT more drier and I can stay clear with just regular soap -- not benzoyl peroxide anymore

I'm about to start seeing an acupuncturist this week, already set up an appointment for Wednesday morning :)

How do you like it? You think it helps at all?

I've gone to an acupuncturist before for other health reasons (my current break out is very recent- like 2 months now. I was clear before then). I think it helps with over all health, and this helps balance the body. I've been 3 weeks now (1x a week) and while I am not clear, I am definitely less inflamed and have lots of PIH (the spots under the jawline and on the chin are just really stubborn).

Good luck to you!

1. No one here is an anomaly of thermodynamics. If you intake more calories than you expend, you will gain weight.

2. Having a small frame does not mean you are skinny. you can be small-framed with a high bodyfat %.

3. If you are male and do not have clearly visible abs in a relaxed state, you are carrying excess fat. That would probably be 95%+ of posters on here.

4. Therefore, the majority are not skinny, they are fat. With small frames.

5. Smaller-framed people get fat on less total calories than a larger frame. Therefore, if you and a larger-framed person both go and have a 1500 calorie McDonalds meal, you are the one more likely to get fat... unless you are on steroids and carrying a rediculous amount of muscle mass.

6. Therefore, you are probably fat. Repeated for emphasis.

This thread is deteriorating to beyond what is was to be (and as the original poster is a troll, that is no doubt the intent.)

Topic closed.