Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lalelu

1st CROSS experience. Did I do something wrong?

It has been 8 days since my TCA full face peel (1 layer 15%), followed by CROSS (99% TCA) on a few icepick scars on my cheeks.

During the CROSS, only about 1/3 of the scars I treated actually frosted. The full face peel caused, as expected, crepey skin on the entire cheek, so maybe that´s what covered the CROSS scabs? Cause I really didn´t see any scabs on the treated areas. I´m 90% done peeling (more like flaking) from the full face peel, and the CROSSed areas are not red or anything. Some do look a bit smoother, but that could be my imagination.

So overall I`m truly confused if I did anything wrong or not. I did slightly poke the toothpick into the scar, felt the slight pain too. And the solution must have been the correct strength (I ordered from a reputable website) cause silly me did a patch test (a small swipe with a Q-tip) on my arm, which did not frost, but burnt quite a bit and felt like raw skin for 2 days, then scabbed over. I accidently scratched the scab off, and the skin underneath is 2 shades lighter than surrounding skin)

Did I not poke the toothpick into the scars hard enough? Or did the dead skin caused by the full face peel actually cover any scabs that formed from the CROSSed areas? I will do another CROSS in about 6-8 weeks from now, but I would love to know if anyone has any input on what happened here

Edited by Lady-Protector

it sounds like you've been busy. typically you wouldnt tca cross and peel the same area at the same time - its very risky business with an increased risk of scarring.

with your skin not frosting, several reasons come to mind:

1. did you rub your skin with alcohol prior to starting? (this rubs off any oil meaning penetration is deeper. if you dont, the oil remains and stops the skin frosting);

2. how long did you soak the toothpicks in the acid? (the longer you leave them in there, the more tca soaks in - leading to a better cross).

i do wonder when the sheets of skin came off (from the peel), whether it also pulled the scabs off the crossed areas. its a shame if it did. but yeah lesson learnt for future use...the crossed areas may rescab - which would be great.

6-8 weeks is a good amount of time before doing your next cross. if you've only done a few scars, you can do several others in the meantime - especially if you want to speed up your results.

thanks for posting and keep us updated with your progress :)

it sounds like you've been busy. typically you wouldnt tca cross and peel the same area at the same time - its very risky business with an increased risk of scarring.

with your skin not frosting, several reasons come to mind:

1. did you rub your skin with alcohol prior to starting? (this rubs off any oil meaning penetration is deeper. if you dont, the oil remains and stops the skin frosting);

2. how long did you soak the toothpicks in the acid? (the longer you leave them in there, the more tca soaks in - leading to a better cross).

i do wonder when the sheets of skin came off (from the peel), whether it also pulled the scabs off the crossed areas. its a shame if it did. but yeah lesson learnt for future use...the crossed areas may rescab - which would be great.

6-8 weeks is a good amount of time before doing your next cross. if you've only done a few scars, you can do several others in the meantime - especially if you want to speed up your results.

thanks for posting and keep us updated with your progress :)

thank you so much for the reply, I really appreciate it. To answer your questions:

1. I did de-fat my skin with rubbing alcohol

2. I didn´t actually soak the toothpick, just did a quick dip. It kinda sucks because there is a dropper on the bottle, and I couldnt really see if there is even any acid on the toothpick. I believe in the instructions that came with my peel it said soaking the toothpick in the acid is best to be left for experienced users and not for a 1st time. I can definitely try that next time though.

I only have like 10 icepick scars, some quite shallow, some a bit deeper. So I guess I wouldn´t really have much downtime even if those 10 scars actually frost and scab. I just got excited cause both the 15% TCA and the 100% TCA arrived in the mail at the same time, and I wanted to do both lol.

Could it also be that I didn´t poke the scars well enough? On my 1st try I thought I´d rather be too gentle than too rough.

Edited by Lady-Protector

oh it couldve been a lot of reasons. it sounds like you might not have had enough acid on it and you didnt press deeply enough. usually, you put some of the acid into a small cup and then dip the end of the toothpick into it. you can wipe it afterwards (to ensure theres none dripping off). never hurts to be cautious.

heres a video showing how it should be done -

Edited by cartwheeling_monkey

oh it couldve been a lot of reasons. it sounds like you might not have had enough acid on it and you didnt press deeply enough. usually, you put some of the acid into a small cup and then dip the end of the toothpick into it. you can wipe it afterwards (to ensure theres none dripping off). never hurts to be cautious.

heres a video showing how it should be done -

I think I have watched this vid about 5 times before doing CROSS myself hehe. Thanks for the tip with the cup, it was a bit difficult to use it out of the bottle, because it has a dripper thing, not a wide opening. And now that I watched vid again, I probably didnt even use 50% of the pressure the doctor used.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I think the mystery of my CROSS "fail" is solved ;-)

Edited by Lady-Protector

lol no worries and hoped it helped. ive watched the video heaps of times too and the amount of pressure she places frightens me to death! you went safe on your first try and thats always good.

please keep us posted. its always good to hear stories when things go well :)

yes be careful and read all the info you can!

Also, agree that a peel and a cross probably shouldn't be at the same time...

I would probably do sessions of cross at 1-2 month intervals depending on how many.

Then after a few months of healing would do overall peels.

Good luck.

you look like you have a pretty face. did you do it in the middle of the week? Do you not have work or school the following day? im such a sissy because last time i did it when i had work the next day, my other bitchy co worker started talking about huge acne lesions, and our supervisor just started feeding into the fire. i was literally in between them standing while they talked. fuck.

you look like you have a pretty face. did you do it in the middle of the week? Do you not have work or school the following day? im such a sissy because last time i did it when i had work the next day, my other bitchy co worker started talking about huge acne lesions, and our supervisor just started feeding into the fire. i was literally in between them standing while they talked. fuck.

Oh man that sucks! I am stuck home studying right now (no classes anymore) so it´s ok if I can´t leave the house for a few days. I only have a few icepick scars though, so even if they eventually would scab over like they should, it wouldn´t be a big deal.

Curious to see if I get frosting+scabbing on my next try