Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shagnscoob

Fixing these forums up...

i know how much help all these forums are to everyone but theres a simple thing we need to keep in mind, and thats the fact that theres constantly new people coming here. and the population here keeps growing and growing, which tells me that people aren't getting clear, even though they read and try everything, it just isnt working.

in 100% seriousness, i believe that this site could be the start of something big, something that will lead to the eventual "cures" that work for everyone, a different cure for each person, but a regimen that works. at the moment theres 1 official regimen, and its got everything anyone ever needed to know about it, but theres constantly other people forming well educated threads, that include tons of information about things.

i believe hte problem lies in the organization here, its like a filthy office, no organization whatsoever past hte main forum subdivisions. im not trying to insult the current mods, but i think there should be more stickying of well-thought out threads that are very promising and helpful, that way we can avoid constantly answering the same questions and never delving further into our research. if the information everyone requested was right at the top of the forum they were looking in it would be so much easier for everyone, and it would help us form new strategies and analyzations at a faster pace. the efficiency of the board would increase tremendously, if only we could organize more....

So Dan, or any other mod reading this, i hope you realize that these forums have so much potential waiting to be unlocked, if only you could develop a planned system of stickying important threads ( a good example is the B5 thread, however its not very complete ) and adding to the solutions of the newcomers, and aiding the continuing search of the veterans here.

Thanks and good luck rolleyes.gif

So distilling that down...you are simply asking for us to pin popular topics?

It is Dan's call of course.

We can't seem to do stickies on this board software so anything that is pinned goes abovethe forum topic list. IMO if we were going to do that the thread would need to have a minimum number of replies to warrant being pinned and you would only want a few for each board since it really distorts the layout.

btw - you can filter the forum to start with the most popular threads simply by choosing "number of replies" as a display option at the bottom of the forum page.

Why do you call the forums disorganized when all you want done is to have popular threads stickied?

It's all up to Dan, so if he thinks this is a good idea, I guess we'll go through with it...but I wouldn't call the forums disorganized at all.

I think you might have a point, but the one solution, which is to make most posts sticky, has a downside. It ends up muddying up the boards. Can you propose another solution?

Remember that people can also search the forums for a keyword as well.

-Dan

So Dan, or any other mod reading this, i hope you realize that these forums have so much potential waiting to be unlocked, if only you could develop a planned system of stickying important threads ( a good example is the B5 thread, however its not very complete ) and adding to the solutions of the newcomers, and aiding the continuing search of the veterans here.

Thanks and good luck  rolleyes.gif

I've been thinking about this, and totally agree with Dan that there shouldn't be too many pinned topics as it limits the layout of the forums. However, I was thinking that perhaps we could pin a topic at the top of every forum listing the most popular and most informative topics. The scar board has something like this if you aren't familiar with it - the FAQ has direct links to the majority of the most important topics. However, it can sometimes be difficult to locate the exact info you want in the scar forum. Perhaps we could try out a format like this:

(using scar forum as an example)

These are the posts considered by the moderators to be the most informative and of the most importance for members to read:

1. My Smoothbeam Treatments (over 110 pgs long)

2. Needling /Needle dermabrasion (77 pgs long)

3. TCA CROSS - (50 pgs long)

etc, listing about 10 links.

??? Don't know about this, but I do think it would be a good idea to provide instant access to the most informative threads for new members unfamiliar with the site.

:think:

these boards seem organized enough to me.

it might help to ask members to do more searches. maybe when members sign up for the first time they could be informed of the wealth of information that can be obtained by doing a simple search... you could have some big red letters about it on the registration page... or how about automatically sending a pm about searches to every new member.

im not saying popular topics because theres alot of topics were the same damn questions are repeated over and over. maybe if mods gather detailed FAQ's that were stickied.

im not trying to insult hte mods or the forums, but i just think that however nice this place is, it has room to improve.

One thing to remember is that the mods are doing this job on their own time and out of the goodness of their hearts. They are not paid to sit and sort and sift for you or me. They are not paid at all.

Perhaps you would like to volunteer your time to do this?

LOL!!! laugh.gif (Go Nancy!)

im not saying popular topics because theres alot of topics were the same damn questions are repeated over and over. maybe if mods gather detailed FAQ's that were stickied.

hmm i see you're doing something with the chat I just went in there very nice, with a password and everything! guess I was the first test rat lol couldn't get a connection though, but it takes time...

I think you might have a point, but the one solution, which is to make most posts sticky, has a downside. It ends up muddying up the boards. Can you propose another solution?

Remember that people can also search the forums for a keyword as well.

-Dan

people should make individual FAQS it's like writing a book just shorter and u don't make money laugh.gif

say someone knows a lot about smoothbeam, they'll write a FAQ about then you'll have links to all the FAQS people sent in and who wrote it. then some could be famous around here for there work I guess

It could just be in plain notepad style nice and simple

I like my idea, we just got to get some people to write some, they'll always be able to update them of course, they could recomend other people that need that information to read them too so posts theat are like 100 pages won't clutter the board and be hard to find out what u want

i think we should have a seperate forum for each type of treatment: differin, accutane, bp, etc. that will help immensely to sort out the threads.

i would volunteer my time to help sort out the threads if you make me a mod!