Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just wondering if anyone here is in their mid to late 20s and what your experience with battling adult acne has been, what worked for you, etc. I am 25 and my acne is not severe, but I generally have 3 or 4 of the large deep painful pimples (cystic?) on my chin/mouth area all the time. My derm has recommended accutane to me before and now I'm really starting to consider it, but I don't know how I'd pay for it - I'm a fulltime student and on the state health insurance plan which doesn't cover "cosmetic" treatments. I'm hesitant to start a topical/cleanser program because my schedule makes it difficult to be consistant. I've never had help from birthcontrol and although antibiotics did help me (Minocycline), it makes the pill less effective so I had to ditch it.

Anyway, would be nice to hear from some people that are in their mid to late 20s and dealing with this, I know I'm not the only one out there who didn't 'out grow' it. I think mine is worse then it was when I was a teen :angry:

I am 25 and have acne, I would call mine moderate with usually 3-4 active spots at a time, they are usually large red spots that look yuck.

Have you considered Dan's regimen? Maybe doing it just once a day before bed to start with?

I'm 27 and usually had two or three active cysts on my chin at any given time. SInce starting Dan's regimen I only get maybe one every two weeks or so and they go away a lot quicker. It's really helped me. I agree, I had very mild acne as a teen and now it more moderate, it's so frustrating! I thought now I wouldn't have to use any products on my face except wrinkle cream:)

I'm gonna be 25 in a few weeks :dance: and I never had acne until my 20's. It started off mild and I never paid much attention to it until about 5 months ago I had the worst breakout of my life all over my nose, inner cheeks, and forehead. I finally saw a derm after a few weeks of it getting worse (at first I thought I could clear it with just bp like Dan says) and he put me on doxycycline and benzaclin. I have been sticking very stricty to my program but I still get 1-2 new pimples every few days, however now they are always little ones and they clear up quickly. My main problem right now is that I have tons of redmarks from my big breakout at the start of spring. It is so frustrating to be an adult with acne because you know 99% of other adults dont have to deal with this crap. :( I will probably go on accutane after my red marks have faded. Don't want to yet because it can slow down the healing process. :|

By the way, you say your too busy to start a strict regimen but if your acne was really that bad you would make it your number one priority. No matter how much I have going on any given day I ALWAYS make sure to do my program every morning and night!

Thank you all for your replies!! I don't know what Dan's regimen is, but I'm sure I can find it somewhere on here for more information. I think once college starts (end of Sept) I will be able to be more consistant with a daily routine because I'll have more of a set daily schedule. Thanks all, I'm going to go hunt down "Dan" now.

Also, the problem that I have w/ consistancy is if it's a long process with too many products that you have to flip flop. But it sounds like Dan's isn't like that so I'm encouraged to try it!!

Edit: Ok I found it, very cool, and it's not expensive. I have an appointment at the derm's on the 16th so I'm going to wait to buy this and see what he has to say. If he suggests Accutane I think I will tell him to hold off and I will give Dan's a try. Also just wondering about Dan's, I was reading it says don't wash during the day. My skin is SO oily that sometimes I will wash it or just pat it with a towel to soak it up. It grosses me out because I can feel it oozing oil, and by 3pm or so I can't take it anymore. Also, I do have that Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer that I use now at night. Do you guys find that it makes your face kinda sticky? It feels almost oily like right after I apply it. It doesn't get soft or seem to soak in and when I touch my face it feels sticky, I don't know how else to describe it. Anyway as a result I don't use Cetaphil in the mornings because it makes my face look oily. I use Oil of Olay Complete in the mornings; it soaks in and makes my skin soft. Maybe I need to make sure I'm not using too much Cetaphil I don't know, but I don't like the way it makes my face feel. Thanks guys!

I AM 25 AND I HAVE SEVERE ACNE. I HAVE 15 PAINFUL LIQUID, AND LARGE, FLUID FILLED CYSTS ALL OVER MY FACE. I'VE NEVER TRIED ACCUTANE BECAUSE I'M TERRIFIED BUT I JUST MIGHT GO ON IT THIS WINTER. I DIDN'T HAVE ACNE UNTIL I TURNED 19. WEIRD. I'M ON ORTHOTRICYCLINE RIGHT NOW WHICH IS THE WORST THING I HAVE EVER TAKEN IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. I AM SO BROKEN OUT AND IN PAIN. MY FACE HURTS SO MUCH. I'M GOING TO THE DOC NEXT WEEK TO ASK TO GO ON DIANE AGAIN. IT WORKED FOR ME BUT I WENT OFF OF IT BECAUSE I WAS SCARED OF THE POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS.

I DON'T KNOW IF YOU WOULD CONSIDER 25 ADULT ACNE THOUGH. I MEAN, I THINK I HAD LATE ADOLESCENT ONSET....YOU MAY HAVE TOO IF IT STARTED IN YOUR EARLY 2OS. WHO THE HECK KNOWS?