Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
soccersweetie1101

waxing legs?

hey everyone im considering getting my legs waxed. my doctor recommended it for ingrown hairs..

anyone have good experiences with waxing? what i would be excited about is no shaving for a MONTH and thats my worstttttttttttttttttttttttttttt pet peeve!!!!

BE CAREFUL!

I am highly prone to ingrowns on my legs from shaving. I too thought waxing would be wonderful as well. It was great until the hair started growing back in. It was nearly all growing in ingrown! My legs were ichy, to the point of nearly being painful for almost two weeks as I had to try to scrub and scrub and use tweasers to try to pick out all the ingrowns. I went back to the salon to show them and they told me that really wasn't supposed to happen and to try it again. Well the next "growback" was even worse. Tons of painful bumps and even some getting infected. The salon told me they'd never seen anything like it and that I should definately NOT continue waxing. I had so really hoped too that it would be a solution to my ingrown tendency but It actually seemed to make things worse for me.

About a year later, at friends insistance that my problems must have been due to the salon, and not waxing, I bought an epilator, which removes hair by the root like waxing, and tried it myself. Again it was great until it started growing back and then I had the exact same problem of everything growing back ingrown again.

My theory is that people who are prone to ingrowns have thicker skin that makes it harder for their hair to "push through" when it grows back out of the hair folicle. Waxing actually makes the hair grow back thinner, which makes it even harder for the hair to grow back out without getting trapped under the skin. Again it's just my theory but i've been dealing with ingrowns my whole life (am 33yrs old) and it makes sense to me.

thank you for your input

you totally made me not wanna wax lol. and in the end i think its better in thr long run for me since i have THICK hair and skin! you really saved me! im going to try an eliptator soon, do you have any good suggestions?

thank you

BE CAREFUL!

I am highly prone to ingrowns on my legs from shaving. I too thought waxing would be wonderful as well. It was great until the hair started growing back in. It was nearly all growing in ingrown! My legs were ichy, to the point of nearly being painful for almost two weeks as I had to try to scrub and scrub and use tweasers to try to pick out all the ingrowns. I went back to the salon to show them and they told me that really wasn't supposed to happen and to try it again. Well the next "growback" was even worse. Tons of painful bumps and even some getting infected. The salon told me they'd never seen anything like it and that I should definately NOT continue waxing. I had so really hoped too that it would be a solution to my ingrown tendency but It actually seemed to make things worse for me.

About a year later, at friends insistance that my problems must have been due to the salon, and not waxing, I bought an epilator, which removes hair by the root like waxing, and tried it myself. Again it was great until it started growing back and then I had the exact same problem of everything growing back ingrown again.

My theory is that people who are prone to ingrowns have thicker skin that makes it harder for their hair to "push through" when it grows back out of the hair folicle. Waxing actually makes the hair grow back thinner, which makes it even harder for the hair to grow back out without getting trapped under the skin. Again it's just my theory but i've been dealing with ingrowns my whole life (am 33yrs old) and it makes sense to me.

the epilator gave you the same results as waxing? arghh i've been wanting to try new hair removal products .. and that was one of them, but i do have sensitive skin ... so i'm thinking i'd prob have a similar problem. i really hate my skin lol

so what are you using right now? are you still shaving?

Edited by indayden_den

Don't get the cheap nair waxing kit from a store. I got those pre-waxed strips that you put on your legs,heat then up by rubbing them,and then rip 'em off. They were terrible. It missed so much hair,and you're not supposed to put another strip in the same area.

My armpits were bleeding out of the hair follicles,and I don't have have thick shafts of hair!

They also smell like stale peppermint patties.

I don't have issues with ingrown hair,but I had to warn you about those things.

I get horrible ingrowns! It too me a while to realize why. It was cuz I was using an epilator. So I tried waxing and it was just as bad. Maybe even worse cuz the ingrows got really inflamed. Now I alternate between shaving and Nair and don't have nearly as many problems

I feel like I had more issues with hair growth on my legs when I was younger....The things I've done differently:

-Use a really good moisturizing body wash. I use Dove's body wash for sensitive skin and I also shave with this.

-Invest in good razors.

-Take a warm shower for a few minutes before you shave.

-Use a loufa with more body wash.

That's all I really do and I don't really have issues anymore. I'll get an ingrown here and there but it's not the norm. I also try to not shave so often cause this just irritates my skin, making it harder to get a good shave. Once in a while I'll wax or use an epilator.

The pre-made wax strips work fine for me....they're not GREAT but the way I see it, it's less hair I have to deal with in the following 4-6 weeks! I sit on them to warm them up...lol and I follow the directions thoroughly! It helps to manually exfoliate beforehand and making sure the hair is long enough for the wax to grip onto. The thicker the hair, the longer it should be imo....

Epilators work pretty well but they are painful! I personally get used to the pain after about two minutes. Your skin will go numb and then it's no problem haha. They don't last as long as waxing does for me - probably because some hairs are broken rather than pulled out at the root (guessing).

I don't do this but it might help to use a chemical exfoliator, lotion with AHA or something like that

soo im thinking of trying this?

like asking for it as a xmas present or saving up? you think its worth a shot? i mean target usually has good return policies

http://www.target.com/Verseo-ePad-Home-Ele...c_qi_detaillink

unfortunately i'm hairier than normal so i've pretty much done extensive research on the topic. that product will not work. any product that you can buy that claims to be an at home laser or electrolysis kit will not work. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. there is one product called one touch electrolysis that's 30 bucks that i've read is actually effective. but it takes HUGE patience and HUGE time to use it (i'm talking more than a year). basically you treat a tiny 1 inch by 1 inch portion in about an hour time. but results are indeed permanent because you are doing true electrolysis

also, epilators are known to be big culprits in terms of ingrowns. i was considering an epilator for the longest time but after all the stuff i've read i've decided against it.

for those who choose waxing I greatly recommend GIGI. its wax that they use in salons. Go to sally beauty buy yourself a wax warmer for around $30 and a can of wax that for some of you will probably last forever. this is pretty much the stuff they use in salons. for those who are hairier than the average gal the stuff at target or walmart will not cut it under any circumstances

Edited by special
BE CAREFUL!

the epilator gave you the same results as waxing? arghh i've been wanting to try new hair removal products .. and that was one of them, but i do have sensitive skin ... so i'm thinking i'd prob have a similar problem. i really hate my skin lol

so what are you using right now? are you still shaving?

Unfortunately just shaving. I've thought about trying the laser thing, but it's so darn expensive!

Unfortunately just shaving. I've thought about trying the laser thing, but it's so darn expensive!

yeah. i'm considering laser right now as well, cause everything else just doesn't work. if you do choose laser i seriously suggest you do your research. many people have disappointing results and get scammed out of money simply because they go to someone that doesn't know what their doing and use the wrong type of machine and settings.

thank you for your input

you totally made me not wanna wax lol. and in the end i think its better in thr long run for me since i have THICK hair and skin! you really saved me! im going to try an eliptator soon, do you have any good suggestions?

thank you

I would recommend the brand Emjoi. I'm currently using Emjoi Emagine Epilator but, I'm not very experienced with epilators since it's the only one I've tried so far.

Edited by Sephora

this is a little off topic, but has anyone tried veet gel, or cream hair removals? or anything similar to these products with success? i tried nair a looong time ago, and it didn't work for me. shaving turned out to be much more efficient with my skin type. i was wondering if their formulas have improved. anywho, i'm really tired of shaving. might just take the plunge n get waxed.