Notifications
Clear all

Garlic, a natural antibiotic

MemberMember
(@stevebrown)

Posted : 08/07/2004 12:24 am

I recently posted about the methodology that works for me in clearing up and preventing acne. That entails the dietary approach of avoiding excess sugar, plus the use of topical antiseptics to control the population of p. acnes bacteria on the skin. However, a recent persistent outbreak, which would not completely clear up, led me to seek a supplementary remedy, and I have found one that has finally cleared up the recent outbreak and is preventing the appearance of new pimples. That remedy is garlic.

Garlic has a potent defense against infection of the garlic bulb by microorganisms. When the cells of garlic are damaged, two substances are released, which combine to make allicin, a potent antibiotic. Allicin is a complex molecule that is unstable, so it degrades over a period of a few days, and it is destroyed by heat. For theraputic use in the treatment of acne, fresh garlic has to be ingested raw.

Garlic is best prepared for ingestion by crushing it in a garlic press, a pliers-like device that sells for around $7 in supermarkets. Crushing the garlic releases the two ingredients that combine to make allicin. It is impossible to eat raw, crushed garlic by itself, as it has a very hot flavor that burns the tongue. The crushed garlic must be mixed with food.

The garlic I use is the jumbo variety that is sold as unpackaged bulbs in supermarkets. One large clove just fits into the garlic press. I crush the garlic onto a paper plate and let it sit while I prepare the meal. That gives the two ingredients time to react to produce allicin. I usually stir the crushed garlic into homemade tomato sauce, after it has cooled to a temperature at which it can be eaten. One clove of garlic adds plenty of flavor to a serving of spagetti sauce. Raw garlic has a hot flavor, so if you're making chili, two or three cloves will make it hot enough so that you won't have to use any pepper, and you'll get a potent dose of allicin.

After a week of eating at least one clove of raw garlic a day, I find that old pimples are fading and no new ones are appearing. The garlic oil actually seeps out through my pores, so it is right where it is needed, to kill bacteria in the pores and on the skin. I've been able to cut down on the use of topical antiseptics, giving my skin a better opportunity to heal. I don't mind the smell of garlic on my skin, and it goes away with washing. As for "garlic breath," no one has complained, but before a social occasion, I would stop eating garlic for a few days, to let it clear from my system.

MemberMember
(@sadcaroline)

Posted : 08/07/2004 2:53 am

i have a dumb question ,i cant for the life of me figure out how big a 'clove' is. is it the whole bulb? the garlic i buy is in bulb form, which has numerous little 'sections' that can be easily pulled apart. could these sections be cloves? thanks so much!

MemberMember
(@flipside)

Posted : 08/07/2004 4:11 am

yes, those little sections are the cloves.

you can also mix crushed garlic with olive oil and pour it over corn or brown rice.

MemberMember
(@ally)

Posted : 08/07/2004 4:54 am

When I was in Spain I experimented with taking half a clove of garlic a day.

During that time I got no new breakouts.

MemberMember
(@stevebrown)

Posted : 08/07/2004 10:30 am

you can also mix crushed garlic with olive oil and pour it over corn or brown rice.
MemberMember
(@blackbirdbeatle)

Posted : 08/07/2004 12:25 pm

I eat raw garlic by itself. I just chew like crazy and take a bit of water afterwords. I guess i'm used to it after eating raw ginger all this time before meals(hich is also hot).

MemberMember
(@catwoman)

Posted : 08/07/2004 3:12 pm

I like to get a slice of Italian bread (or French baguette), pour some extra virgin olive oil (high quality) and spread a crushed clove of garlic on it for breakfast. Yummy...the Italians have been doing it for ages.

MemberMember
(@ally)

Posted : 08/07/2004 3:16 pm

I do that to, its very nice.

MemberMember
(@newdime)

Posted : 08/07/2004 10:25 pm

Every morning I dice a clove of garlic and mix it into a shallow cup of grape juice (or any other juice I have lying around). It's easy to get down, and I don't suffer from garlic breath. I don't know if the garlic has helped decrease my outbreaks since I haven't had many after starting Tazorac. I take a clove every morning anyhow.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/09/2004 3:51 am

I eat raw garlic by itself. I just chew like crazy and take a bit of water afterwords. I guess i'm used to it after eating raw ginger all this time before meals(hich is also hot).
MemberMember
(@chloe646)

Posted : 08/09/2004 3:29 pm

Garlic is fantastic, it's a potent antibiotic/anti viral that has none of the side erffctes associated with antibiotic meds...BUT, it's a catch 22..i have aboyfriend...how can I eat gralic without smelling like it????? It comes out through the pores to, I'll look and feel great but I'll smell funky>

MemberMember
(@stevebrown)

Posted : 08/10/2004 1:57 pm

Garlic is fantastic, it's a potent antibiotic/anti viral that has none of the side erffctes associated with antibiotic meds...BUT, it's a catch 22..i have aboyfriend...how can I eat gralic without smelling like it????? It comes out through the pores to, I'll look and feel great but I'll smell funky>
MemberMember
(@cynic)

Posted : 08/10/2004 3:26 pm

Today I went out and bought some odourless, one-a-day garlic capsules. Would these work?

MemberMember
(@flipside)

Posted : 08/10/2004 9:55 pm

Today I went out and bought some odourless, one-a-day garlic capsules. Would these work?
MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 08/11/2004 12:10 am

I like to get a slice of Italian bread (or French baguette), pour some extra virgin olive oil (high quality) and spread a crushed clove of garlic on it for breakfast. Yummy...the Italians have been doing it for ages.
MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 08/11/2004 12:46 am

Oh yeah...I could definately do with some homemade Dairy-free, Gluten-Free, Trans Fat-Free Garlic Bread. wink.gif

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 08/11/2004 12:50 am

bb_lol.gif

MemberMember
(@cynic)

Posted : 08/11/2004 5:48 am

Oh yeah...I could definately do with some homemade Dairy-free, Gluten-Free, Trans Fat-Free Garlic Bread. wink.gif
MemberMember
(@dantecubit)

Posted : 08/12/2004 1:49 pm

I also read that garlic suppresses the production of DHT which, according to Dr. Perricone, is a powerful acne-causing hormone.

MemberMember
(@needacure)

Posted : 09/14/2004 12:33 am

Iv been using raw garlic for the last few days and its made my skin look great. It makes my skin look fresh, and lately i've had no breakouts. Seems great for fighting acne!

MemberMember
(@stevebrown)

Posted : 09/15/2004 1:15 am

Iv been using raw garlic for the last few days and its made my skin look great. It makes my skin look fresh, and lately i've had no breakouts. Seems great for fighting acne!
MemberMember
(@scarphace)

Posted : 09/16/2004 12:49 am

I also read that garlic suppresses the production of DHT which, according to Dr. Perricone, is a powerful acne-causing hormone.

so thats a good thing right? i got a little confused reading....

MemberMember
(@turtle9748)

Posted : 09/16/2004 5:01 am

good luck with the breath issue. most decent people won't care if you have acne. but, bad breath is a much different story. acne won't bother me, but some stank ass sewer breath... that's another story.

MemberMember
(@kel)

Posted : 09/16/2004 6:51 am

i eat at least three gloves of garlic a day,most days i never copok them as such just add to dished 5 mins to the end or so.

and the weird thing is you can never smell garlic on my breath!!!!!!!

MemberMember
(@xjepherzx)

Posted : 09/19/2004 1:10 pm

do oyu have to crush the garlic ocmpletely? i just crushed it with a knife a fwe times and swllowed it with some water....