Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
prettybow

5-htp for depression....anyone know if it causes

I have begun taking it after hearing how it works just as well as the Rx's but with pretty much no side effects. I have depression so I needed something, but I also have bad skin obviously, and thats why I never tried any Rx's for depression, everyone says they caused acne. Anyway, I hope this doesnt, if anyone knows anything, please let me know! Im sure this can help pthers also wink.gif

Hello again.

Please find a copy of Natural Alternatives to Prozac by Micheal T. Murray, which covers HTP or trytophan and other supplements (tysorine, DLPA. SAMEe, and of course, St. Johns Wort) that successfully treat depression. There are actually a few; read up on them.

Also consider seeing a nautropath if you wish to not to take prescription meds for depression (a wise idea if at all possible).

Get out and exercise dear. Running or swimming is the most reccomended for depression.

I took antidepressants for years and actually my skin was fine for about half of them (8); so I'm someone who who can say that they don't always cause acne. No one ever mentioned it to me at all before in fact., not that they tell you everything granted.

Depression strange to say is easier (in my case at least) to treat than this acne. I take now only natural vitamins and minerals for depression and I must run a few times a week.

Chances are that the blemish problems will not be so discouraging and hopeless when in the right frame of mind.

If thoughts of suicide ever cross your mind, please see a proper MD and take good care of your depression. Take care of depression in any case, it can cripple your whole life.

Best wishes.

Hello again.

Please find a copy of Natural Alternatives to Prozac by Micheal T. Murray, which cover HTP or trytophan and other supplements that successfully treat depression.

Also consider seeing a  nautropath if you wish to not to take prescription meds for depression (a wise idea if at all possible). 

Get out an exercise dear. Running or swimming is the most reccomended for depression.

I took antidepressants for years and actually my skin was fine for about half of them (8); so I'm somewho who say that they don't always cause acne. No one ever mentioned it to me at all before in fact.

Depression strange to say is easier (in my case at least) to treat than this acne. I take now only natural vitamins and minerals for depression  and I must run a few times a week.

Chances are that the blemish problems will not be so discouraging and hopeless when in the right frame of mind. 

If thoughts of suicide ever cross your mind, please see a proper MD and take good care of your depression.  Take care of depression in any case, it can cripple your whole life.

Best wishes.

I was put on Lexpro for depression and my skin did not break out. At first all I was so happy, all problems turned to nothingness, along with everything else. I became numb. To me, in life your going to feel bad, real bad, in order to feel and understand happiness. It's kinda like the whole ying and yang. You just need to equal yourself out. My feeling is on antidepressants, that don't let you equal yourself out, cause they make numb to all feelings. I think they are good for someone who needs a break or in last resort. The best thing I can say for you to do is write a journal. Write all feelings out. Get it all out of you so nothing holds you back for living life. Yes, therapy helps in same the aspect where your talking to get all out.

Also, about exercise. Maybe get a yoga tape or one of those big exercise balls and work on some pilates. And get out of the house, visit friends, go see a movie, pick up some good books, maybe try painting. Just dont give up!

I was put on Lexpro for depression and my skin did not break out. At first all I was so happy, all problems turned to nothingness, along with everything else. I became numb. To me, in life your going to feel bad, real bad, in order to feel and understand happiness. It's kinda like the whole ying and yang. You just need to equal yourself out. My feeling is on antidepressants, that don't let you equal yourself out, cause they make numb to all feelings. I think they are good for someone who needs a break or in last resort. The best thing I can say for you to do is write a journal. Write all feelings out. Get it all out of you so nothing holds you back for living life. Yes, therapy helps in same the aspect where your talking to get all out.

Also, about exercise. Maybe get a yoga tape or one of those big exercise balls and work on some pilates. And get out of the house, visit friends, go see a movie, pick up some good books, maybe try painting. Just dont give up!