Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rob*

Anyone ever tried doing NOTHING about their acne?

Today I woke up and just wondered what would happened if I did not try to do anything about my acne--meaning not using anymore creams and moisturizers.

I have had bad acne for 10 years now (from 15-25 years old). I went on 3 courses of Accutane, but it still didnt get rid of it. Now I am left wondering at the age of 25 why the fuck I still get this shit. I watch my diet and I am careful of the moisturizers I use. I have been using Benzaclin cream(benzyol peroxide 5%) for 4-5 years now. I have also Used Cliniderm moisturizer since i started my accutane treatment 9 years ago.

Here's my solution for stopping this acne mess--NOT USING ANYMORE ACNE PRODUCT SHIT. I am going all natural, meaning I shower and then I put nothing on. I wonder why I even bother using moisturizer, i'm just gonna let that shit dry out, and I suggest you all do the same. Why put moisturizer on when your skin is already oily, it makes no sense at all. And I'm done with that benzaclin shit too.

What do you guys think of this? Has anyone ever tried stopping everything and just seeing how it goes. I will continue to watch my diet and only eat foods that wont make me break out. I will report back on this in a weeks time. Peace.

Rob

I started this a while ago. My skin improved but i'm far from clear yet. I'm experimenting with diet changes at the moment too. I think it's because moisturizers have so many chemicals and stuff in them. My skin is drier but I do think it helped.

I tried that for years, just washing my face with water. No moisturizer. I have oily skin in the summer and combination skin in the winter. My acne got worse. It's been years since I actually took care of my skin, and now I am. I'm noticing my zits shrinking some and it's only been less than a week. If you want to go that route, so be it but I highly recommend a simple acne wash that sudses up well and a sensitive skin moisturizer. I was just prescribed retin-a micro and clindamyacin gel to use daily. It's working. Simple is better.

I tried this a while ago and have no idea why I stopped, but I wasn't using water. I would take a cotton ball in the morning and just use my toner on my face to get off excess oils and then moisturize. Night time I would do the same. My skin cleared up a bit. I have NO idea why I went back to using products. :doh:

Tipically is not worth it. But about the moisturizer, even normal people have to use it in order to fight wrinkles and aging on the skin (oxidation). So I think you can only use the moisturizer, the right moisturizer and a mild soap.

to be honest, i tried that myself and it just ended up worse. ive tried everything imaginable to try clear up my acne that ive had for over 10 years. creams, lotions, change of diet, extra hand hygiene, antibiotics,i even went on the pill for a while and even tho that helped a little bit i was starting to crave really sugary, oily foods so much my skin was pretty much the same at the end of it. at the moment im using witch hazel which worked really really well at first but now i think my skin has just gotten used to it as theyre all coming back.

Seriously ive tried it all and im now beginning to wonder if there is something put in the products we use to keep us buying them?.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

My face looked okay this morning until I washed it. Yeah I agree products suck and I personally might just switch to an interesting wash I made myself. I was using a cream for spot treatment but my breakouts are going away so forget that shit.

Well then try different, echinacia or pumpkin seed. And I'm sure there is the right moisturizer for you out there (something with linoleic acid).

I, too, have noticed that any product I use does damage to my skin. Even the mildest cleanser and mildest moisturizer cause irritation. But no shit, I am putting chemicals on my face.

I also have been on three tours of Accutane, during which I stopped using all products completely (washed with only water from the showerhead 1x a day and never touched face), which was key to clearing up while on Accutane. When some pimples returned I started using products again and things went to hell.

Right now I'm rinsing with water under the showerhead 1x a day and using spot treatment at night (dabbing some sulfur cream on the pimple directly). I'm seeing fewer whiteheads and smoother skin with better complexion. My eyes and lips are less dry as well. I'll continue this for a few months and see if progress plateaus or if this is what I need to get clear, sexy skin.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

It definitely takes some time to sort out everything here. I am washing just 1x a day in the morning and I don't even touch my face with my hands. My showerhead has mild-to-medium pressure, and that's enough to wash stuff off. Besides, I'm never oily in the morning, as I think my skin absorbs stuff during the night. Maybe I should change this to washing before bed - but that seems to make me get oily during the day.

Oilyness is not so bad, but by the end of a long day I can get kind of oily. If it gets annoying or if I'm going out, I just rinse in the sink with cool water and my fingertips, and then towel dry.

Now, what I described gave me flawless skin in conjunction with Accutane. However, now that I'm trying this again and am only two weeks in, it may take several months to see results. My complexion isn't that great and I am getting some small bumps and some whiteheads still. However, I seem to have less blemishes and definitely less redness than when I was using cleanser and moisturizer.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by i am ashley.

Tipically is not worth it. But about the moisturizer, even normal people have to use it in order to fight wrinkles and aging on the skin (oxidation). So I think you can only use the moisturizer, the right moisturizer and a mild soap.

You know I think that is really the case with so many things. I sometimes believe that there is a cure for a lot of things but people are so greedy today that they only see dollar signs and not that people are suffering from this skin disease. It really hurts when you can't enjoy normal activities. I just feel like my life would be so much different if it weren't for acne. I have decided that I am just using soap and water and I am tired of making these companies rich at my expense. Maybe my acne will clear up maybe it won't but it is shameful what I feel is being done to us by drug companies, dermatologists, etc..... :evil:

the less i do with my face, the better, currently i use the garnier products because they are gentle on my face, i use a really great combo mask/daily wash/scrub. it saves money to buy one product and the size isnt too bad. i also bought a sulfur mask to spot treat, which i also put on my upper arms and upper back. it clears up any bumps that i can feel just coming out. i did take the advice on here to be extra gentle (which the product lable suggests) and i have certianly seen a great improvement. i also looked into the advil advice for the inflammation, i have been getting migrains lately and whenever i take pain reliver i notice i dont get as many bumps. i also researched on the effects your ethnicity has on acne and as i am mixed i get different types i never understood why that was before. also i use the garnier daily renew moisturizer this is very gentle and absorbs into the skin without becoming greasy. im am really hoping to see more progress. i have tried doing nothing and i want to say that for me it works, until i start touching my face.. good luck to everyone on here working to get clear skin. i know most products can be really harsh, i have had some break me out worse and my acne did not heal at all for a long time on some brand name products.

My acne developed when I STARTED doing something to my face,

Same here. I never really had acne until I was about 16 and started working out (and eating better). After working out I would shower and use product to really get that clean feeling... I started breaking out within weeks. Maybe it was just a coincidence given my age at the time, but damn, I swear this stuff has a mind of its own.

You know I think that is really the case with so many things. I sometimes believe that there is a cure for a lot of things but people are so greedy today that they only see dollar signs and not that people are suffering from this skin disease. It really hurts when you can't enjoy normal activities. I just feel like my life would be so much different if it weren't for acne. I have decided that I am just using soap and water and I am tired of making these companies rich at my expense. Maybe my acne will clear up maybe it won't but it is shameful what I feel is being done to us by drug companies, dermatologists, etc..... :evil:

Amen.

I swear this stuff has a mind of its own.

"This stuff" as in acne? If so, I agree. :)

I'm on a water only regimen and I love it. My skin is slowly becoming better.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Sometimes, I think less is more. I didn't have much acne until I started using more products to help the acne (maybe just the wrong ones, even if they were all natural). Everyone's skin is different. But, it's a worth a try to just wash with water. My mom swears by it. Or, just wash your face every other day with a gentle cleanser and moisturize once or twice a week. Maybe it doesn't have to be all or nothing. This whole acne thing just keeps me second guessing everything I do! All the while, I keep hearing myself say, "Live and Learn". Good Luck to you!

Edited by Look'n-Up

I have tried that. It made my skin worse.

My fiance, the lucky bastard, has perfect maintenance-free skin. He doesn't even wash it before he goes to bed. If I go to bed without doing anything to my face, I wake up with 2 or 3 new spots.

I'm 28 so I've been dealing with this for over half my life, and the BP isn't cutting it anymore. Currently I'm using a mask of egg whites, and it seems to be helping. I'm also going to start the oil cleansing thing and see how that goes. I thought about trying Proactiv or even Accutane, but I decided I'm just really tired of putting chemicals on my face and having them do jack shit. So I'm trying to go with more "natural" remedies.

If all else fails, I'll try the urine thing. What's more natural than that? But I don't think I personally could just not do anything to my face.

I have tried that. It made my skin worse.

My fiance, the lucky bastard, has perfect maintenance-free skin. He doesn't even wash it before he goes to bed. If I go to bed without doing anything to my face, I wake up with 2 or 3 new spots.

I'm 28 so I've been dealing with this for over half my life, and the BP isn't cutting it anymore. Currently I'm using a mask of egg whites, and it seems to be helping. I'm also going to start the oil cleansing thing and see how that goes. I thought about trying Proactiv or even Accutane, but I decided I'm just really tired of putting chemicals on my face and having them do jack shit. So I'm trying to go with more "natural" remedies.

If all else fails, I'll try the urine thing. What's more natural than that? But I don't think I personally could just not do anything to my face.

Four Shadows,

Since you want to try the natural route (which is GREAT!), and know that "doing nothing" doesn't work for you, I found an interesting website you may want to check out. It's www.bee-pollen-buzz.com. The website even gives easy homemade recipes for a facial mask and an astringent. If I wasn't on accutane, I think I would try it, as I prefer the natural route too. Good Luck! :angel:

This is exactly what im gonna do, never had a single fucking problem with acne until i started using products...and i was so naive in the way i used them, scrubbing like a maniac using any kind of over the counter product (whatever was in the bathroom). I will just cleanse and moisturize once or twice a week. so like every 3 days.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

For me- doing "nothing" for my acne never really helped. But doing the wrong things with the wrong products made it alot worse. From my own experience-the chemicals (like Sodium sulfates and parabens) that are in most products are poison for my skin.

I've found the best way to take care of my skin is with natural products. Baking soda to exfoliate, vinegar water solution to tone and rebalance ph after wetting or washing, natural castile soap diluted in water to cleanse with, natural organic aloe vera gel to soothe and tone.

I also use the lowest strength retin a gel (lotions and creams break me out). I also take beta carotene supplements and zinc and don't eat red meat, milk, or any refined sugar (Larry Thiele has a good website about that). I also include alot of anti inflammatory herbs like turmeric in my diet. I also can't drink much alcohol.

As long as I do all of those things, my skin is clear and looks really nice.

In my particular case I've figured out over the last 20 years that I have hormonal things going on that lead to increased sebum production, but also my pores have a problem shedding dead cells, there are bacterial things going on, as well as inflammatory issues. My acne treatment approach has to address all of those things, or it simply doesn't work.

So for me-doing nothing never helped. It's a matter of doing the right things.

I agree with the 'less is more' routine, but it is still a routine none the less that you HAVE to adhere to. I have oily, sensitive skin but I am not strict on washing it AM or PM: I usually wash once day and moisturize (this is integral to protect and nourish your skin no matter what the skin type). I think what is more important to me is WHAT I wash with weekly. Besides a simple cleanser everyday, I use a face mask and exfoliator once or twice a week (someitmes on weekends I will forgo a day of cleansing). My lifestyle is nowhere near perfect (sleep problems, high fatty foods, social smoker, etc), but I maintain good exercise and lots of water and multivitamins.

I think alot of the problem with people is the layers of harsh products they employ. This includes alcohol based products upon toxic enriched products: I would not go near any product that is not natural and gentle for my skin type. So, going 'cavemen' is only necessary for someone who has the flawless lifestyle including flawless nutrition, flawless sleeping habits, etc. This I think only applies to a select few people...