Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
emu

good/bad scar treatment??

i'm in the denver/boulder area and wondered if anyone has found a dr. who they would/would not recommend for scar treatment.

my current derm. is recommending a tca peel but i'm very confused as to what would help me...

i have medium severity rolling scars on my cheeks... have had several microderm treatments, a glycolic peel, tried y-lite lasers and the vinegar method. my scars are less severe but i want them totally gone!!

i too have had most of the treatments you've listed, plus C02 laser, Thermage & N-lite. The c02 laser was definitely not worth the money - results were much better with the n-lite and thermage. I don't know much about the Tca peel but i have checked into the Exoderm, which is supposed to give good results, but is expensive and invasive. Hope this helps and best wishes. smile.gif

Did the Derm. say what % TCA and how many peels he/she thinks would help your scarring?

For rolling scars, I would look into:

- Needling

- TCA CROSS performed by a Dermatologist (this is different than a peel, by the way)

- Subcision (possibly in combination with a non-ablative laser)

no, he just told me a tca peel and explained the downtime to me.

i think when i told him that i don't have a week to take off in the next year, he was kind of thinking, "oh well no point in explaining it to you"

needling, subcision and tca cross all sound so scary, but i am SO tired of these scars.

i'll do a little more research on those methods, thanx

i see that you know a lot about scars and treatments, so i'm sorry for asking so many questions.

but i am wondering if my scars are boxcar or rolling... i know they're fairly shallow but they look more box car-ish.

is there a treatment that's better for different types of scars? and a definite way to know what type of scars i have?

Some people at this board have used TCA peels, but I don't recall them saying that it eliminated their pitted scarring. I'd definitely research that before going ahead with it, because it would likely take several of them in order to see improvement, and I don't think that they would eliminate the scars.

Needling can be done by a permanent makeup artist or a tattoo artist. I would have it done by someone who has experience. In my experience, needling doesn't really hurt too much, but the person who performed it didn't go too deeply (no blood).

I had subcision done and the needle that numbed me at the scar site was worse than the subcision itself.

TCA CROSS is definitely worth looking into, from reading peoples' experiences.

The Frequently Asked Questions thread has the various scar types pictured and described. From my reading, rolling scars are softer in appearance, and boxcars are more similar to chicken pox scars.

Sorry - this is not relevant whatsoever- but the thing I remember most about Boulder was that it was the place where the good people of the world congregated post-Apocalypse in the Stephen King novel 'The Stand'! - Maybe this is a good omen for you! smile.gif

- Back on topic - I don't think needling in particular sounds that scary. The practitioner I am seeing has told me she will try out a tiny patch of skin first to see how my skin reacts and whether I am comfortable with the procedure. You could always try this rather than the full blown thing straight away.

I do agree that other procedures such as dermabrasion and exoderm do sound scary, though.

Once you do a lot of research on a procedure, however, it often becomes a lot less scary - it's less of an unknown. smile.gif

HAHAHA Boulder is a VERY odd place!

Ugh I feel like I'm just doomed to have scars forever ohmy.gif

with tca it's better to do more frequent lower percentages. I had IPL and that helped the scars but yeah i want more improvement at least until they are not as glaring on my face. i have done two 6% TCA peels so far...these are very mild with i would say little to no downtime if you only do a small portion of your face..i barely got red but i did have a few layers of skin shed. Right now it's only day two by day 3-4 it begins to actually peel more and by a week most if not all signs of the peel are gone. i ddi notice very very subtle improvemnt of shallow scarring but you'd have to do A LOT, may 5-6 of these to really get a decent improvement. i don't know how benefical it can be for small pits though...I do prefer the TCA 6% to glycolic by far...i get more of a peeling effect but with, believe it or not, far less redness or irritation. skin just looks shinier mildly pink and then gets a slightly visible demarcation of where the skin is about to peel, like around the dges of the area you applied the acid, an then begins to lift/flake away...I am looking into tca cross for some shallow pits bit i don't exactly have deep ice picks just shallow ones and may be smoothbeam or n-lite which i think are stronger than the IPL i had done. i wonder tho if micro dermabrasion might help me? no one seems to be too happy with that procedure tho

^ micro dermabrasion is a waste of time and money in my opinion. I've had 6 treatments at 2 week intervals and noticed NO improvement whatsoever, infact i've had some new scars come up...

well, i am quite confused as to what type of scars i have, but i know that they were moderate in severity and after SEVERAL (and we're talking probably about 40 over the course of 4 years) microderm treatments i definitely see some good results. now my scars are fairly mild. so it's not a total waste of time, but it definitely requires patience and money.