Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
somehopeleft

Derrick's Accutane Log

Thank you for viewing my Accutane Journal. Today I start Accutane, 1 pill per day, 40 mgs a day. Here's a little introduction to myself:

My name is Derrick, and I live in Louisville, KY. I'm 19 years old and I'm 5'9" and weigh 130 pounds. I've had moderate to mild acne for about six years as far as I can remember. It has never been severe, or caused any problems or possible scarring issues, but after a while and comments over the years it takes a toll on your self-esteem. I've been going to the doctor for about two years trying different medications and gels to try to minimize the appearance of acne. Nothing has worked. While some showed little improvement, I haven't really reached the results that I would like to have. I won't bother listing everything I have tried, as I know if you've suffered from acne you can relate to my experiences as well.

So here's to Accutane. I will update this journal daily and try to post pictures at least once a week with my results. Feel free to leave a comment anonymously or with your livejournal name and I will try my best to respond to it as soon as possible.

Today is day one. I will post a picture soon.

My Accutane livejournal can be found at http://www.livejournal.com/users/somehopeleft

DAY 2 & 3

Well I just took my third pill. I havent really noticed any changes or side effects... pretty much at a standstill. My face still looks about the same, I guess we will see this coming week.

DAY 4 & 5

Well today is day five. That means I've taken 200mg of Accutane now, and I'm still not noticing much. Maybe my skin is getting a little bit better... but I can't really tell as it comes and goes on a daily basis. My lips aren't dry, my face might be getting a little bit drier but I can't really notice significant difference. I guess I was just hoping for some kind of sign that it was working... it's still early... I guess I will see soon smile.gif

Hope everyone elses regimen is doing well for them... alike many of you, I'm really hoping to have clear skin by the time school starts... but that's in a 12 days, so I'm not too sure that's going to be happening sad.gif

DAY 6

Just when I thought nothing was happening... it started. My nose was starting to irritate yesterday at work I wasn't sure if it was a pimple coming up or not... but I think it's just dry skin. I went and bought Cetaphil Face Wash and Moisturizer last night as well as Dr. Dan's CortiBalm... my lips aren't chapped at all yet, but my face is a lot drier I can tell... can still feel oil though... had a red spot come up on left side of my upper lip, and I can feel a bump inbetween my eyebrows... nothing too severe, as of yet.. but my face doesn't seem to be improving, but doesn't really seem to be worsening either... just my typical come and go acne.

hey dude..jus wanted to say best of luck..im kinda in a situation like yours, altho im a girl so things can be a bit diff. but yea, still tried everything u can imagine with varied effectiveness, and been battling this thing for 2yrs, so i kno about the time-taking-its-toll business, damn it sucks. my rents wont let me go on accutane, so im gonna have to wait till im 18, 6mths away. so yea, im interested to see how u do..keep us posted, best of luck again.

DAY 7

Nothing too new to report. My skin begins to get drier I can feel, but I can still see the oil and feel it during the day... I hope this goes away soon. My nose is a bit more irritated than the rest of my face, but nothing too unbearable. My lips aren't really too dry yet but i'm applying CortiBalm anyway... to the guy who asked, you can order it online at www.cortibalm.com but I would reccomend checking with your pharmacy first. It costs eight dollars online and eight dollars to ship but my pharmacy ordered it for me and it only cost me about three bucks, so not too bad. The first stick broke so I ordered four more today.

Thanks for all your comments and for viewing my journal. I will continue to update daily and as soon as I get some batteries for my camera I will add pictures. Cheers!

Good luck and remember theres heaps of us in this together.

Also good on you for actually doing something about it now at 19- I waited until now (I am 21) to finally tell my derm that all the other crap he was giving me was rubbish and so I demanded accutane and finally was given it and so far so good.

Ok Ill watcxh your progress with interest

Parks

DAY 8

So I'm noticing the side effects now... yesterday my skin got a little bit flaky and I could start feeling dry lips. You want to know the most painful thing? I got a little cut ON my lip on the right hand side... just a teeny tiny cut and now it hurts like hell when I open it to eat. I'm being a baby, I know. Otherwise nothing too different... new spot came up near the other one by my lip, not too bad... still a spot inbetween my eyebrows that I'm hoping is improving... My skin is way sensitive now, I'm trying my best not to touch it - but it's hard! I want to tan sad.gif

DAY 9 & 10

I miss the sun laugh.gif

Well the weekend has passed and I'm still alive, although I'm applying my CortiBalm chapstick like it's going out of style! Nothing too serious has occured... I'm noticing more red bumps on the top left hand side of my forehead, oh well... also one on the right of my forehead right at the hairline, it hurts like hell... other than that the rest of my face appears to be clearing up pretty well... my skin gets flakey at the end of the day if I don't use lotion.. and my lips... well, I don't go anywhere without my lipbalm - I've just gotten into the habit of it, I bought five sticks of it hehe. Oh and I've also noticed my scalp is really sensitive... you take those things for granted... I was scrubbing my head carelessly in the shower the other day when I realized it, damn I need to be careful. I'm sensitive now! Never thought I'd say that.

Hope everyone elses experience is as mild as mine.. here's to a new week!

DAY 11

I think I can tell that my face is clearing up a bit... I still have active left of my lip and a few spots on my forehead but the other spots (mainly on my forehead - which has lots of small subtle bumps) seem to be improving.. I guess time will tell.. looks like no initial breakout for me... well, it's been 12 days... here's to hoping it doesn't happen anytime soon since I start school on Monday. I have some back pains when I sit the wrong way but nothing too bad... I did crunches last night to see how I would feel and while I could feel my back hurting a bit, it wasn't nothing significant. My skin stays dry but I'm trying to put on my Cetaphil lotion twice a day although I'm just nervous about putting anything on my face - I don't want any new spots unsure.gif . Oh, and to those who wear contacts... don't fall asleep in them... they are really hard to take out when you wake up, they are really dry smile.gif

DAY 12

My nose is peeling like crazy! Spots are starting to fade everywhere... I run my finger across certain parts of my face (after shaving) and it feels smooth... it's a nice feeling... my forehead still needs some work... but I'm looking good in most lighting... hehe bb_lol.gif

Just thought I would join in...I am just about to hit the 4 week mark with (Ro)accutane....it's been tough but I have to keep thinking of the long term result. I have battled on and off with spots for 13 years - I'm now a 26yr old female (UK) and thought it was about time I sorted it out. The main effects I have had so far include:

- a horrible flare up in spots (spots like I've never had before!!)...still continues

- dry lips

- dry hair and scalp

- a slight rash on back and arms

- just started to get dry hands

Wow...what a delight I must be to look at!!! It has got me really down sad.gif at times - but at least this time the "down" feeling should be temporary cos in a few months things should have improved a great deal.

I know a few girls who have been on accutane and their skin looks fantastic....4 weeks down...more or less a quarter of the way there!!

Glad I found this site - it really helps to share with people who really understand smile.gif

Hey Cleo - Welcome here, I'm glad you found the site too! I know I was thrilled when I found it, it's so great to read about everyone elses experience. Why don't you start your own log so people can keep up to date with your accutane course? How did your skin look prior to accutane and how has it improved or has it gotten worse? Also, what is your dosage? Hope to hear from you and see your own journal soon!

Thanks for the welcome!!

I am on 30mg..soon to be increased to 60mg..I think. I go to the derm next Tues....

My skin fluctuated from mild to moderate....usually had spots somewhere on my face. Controlled the bad break outs with antibiotics and topical lotions as well as the contraceptive pill. But these things were only ever temporary. I got a mix between pimples and in the last few years I was getting those really sore under the skin cyst type ones. They were so painful and took ages to go away. Usually on my chin and occasionally on my cheeks. Now I have flared up all over my jaw line and they are SO sore.

No 2 people seem to experience roaccutane in the same way...I really wish someone could tell me when these sore spots are gonna go. I could handle the dryness if I didn't have the spots! sad.gifmad.gif

I def know something is happening to my skin...it is far less oily for a start. I am just so impatient!!

The log sounds like a good idea...I'll get onto that

Keep your chin up...we'll get there in the end...no gain without gain and all!!

wADAP

How's that A treating ya? O I hope you're luvin that shiii as much as I am/did. If you're seeing results by the 12th day that's very impressive mi amigo ^^

Keep truckin' your life will change in a few.

You can read my journal for advice.

Hey thanks acne_suks.

DAY 13

Not too much has changed. Popped a big red zit on my nose - I know you're not supposed to but I couldn't resist and the redness has started to fade already! I'm going to visit San Francisco in October I found out yesterday... I really hope my skin is better by then

Good LUCK!!

I just started "accutane" myself recently. You can view my before photos in the gallery. Week 1 is approaching soon and I'll post photos.

Where's your photos at? I want to see the improvements!

DAY 15, 16, 17

Another weekend gone by! School starts today... I'm one of those people that work nearly full time and go to school full time as well... so I don't have class until tonight at 6PM - wish me luck! As far as my skin goes... it's clearing up I can tell... I have some annoying spots though I wish would go away... namely a spot on both sides of my neck, a few on the upper left hand side of my forehead, and a few on my chin... my mom told me I looked flushed Saturday... damn it! But yeah it's pretty obvious I'm redder than usual... didn't someone say this redness dies after a while? I hope so... and I've lost all my tan so accutane you better work!