Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HaLLa

Mederma cream

hey i was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of or used this cream. its supposed to be very good for scarring and getting rid of those pesky red marks.

i've used it for a long time. not encouraging really. i suppose i still use it because i thought i saw an improvement a while back. that was with a lot of use. however, it really hasn't done much unfortunately.

what type of scars do you have semolina? im told that raised keloid scars are about the only thing you can really make a dent in with mederma. pitted scars are supposed to be relatively unaffected by it...

Mederma® skin care for scars

Quoted from Drugstore News

written by Carol Dickson McKee, B.S., R.Ph., Pharm.D., independent clinical consultant, adjunct associate professor, Albany College of Pharmacy

Onion extract: Onion, which is also known as allii cepae or allium cepa, offers many health-related benefits. With respect to scars, onion appears to inhibit the function of fibroblasts, and the production of a ground substance which contributes to the scar matrix. It may also decrease prostaglandins a nd leukotrienes, and inhibit inflammation and histamine release. Onion is a rich source of quercetin, an antiinflammatory.

Onion is available as a proprietary botanical extract (cepalin) in the United States in a greaseless gel, which also contains allantoin. The product does not smell like onion, but instead has an aroma reminiscent of rose water.This product is regulated as a cosmetic rather than a drug, although it may be found in skin care section of a pharmacy.

As with other products, wounds need to be healed to the point of no raw, open areas before using onion extract. Onion extract is generally considered safe to use during pregnancy and breastfeeding, as well as in young children and has even been used on infants in neonatal intensive care unit. Onion extract gel is massaged into the skin three to four times a day.Once the gel has dried, cosmetics may be applied, if desired. Onion extract may also help resolve post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH), which may occur following acne or skin trauma (e.g., surgery, accident17).

A study carried out in Germany assessed scar development in 45 young patients who underwent thoracic surgery. The control group received no treatment. The study was carried out for a year and patients were assessed every month. The appearance of the scar (type, size, color) was assessed by a physician. Scar width was less in treated patients; no differences in scar length and height were seen.

Treated scars were superior with respect to color and type, and hypertrophic and keloid scars developed less often in treated patients. The clinical course of scar development was rated "very good" or "good" in greater than 90 percent of treated patients. In untreated patients, fewer than 40 percent of patients reported a "good" clinical course, with greater than 60 percent evaluating their courses as "moderate" or "bad." The tolerability of the drug was "good" or "very good" in all patients.

Another study published by some of the same authors as the previous study, was conducted at the same site in Germany. Scar development in 65 children who underwent thoracic surgery was assessed; 38 received treatment and 27 did not. The treatment period was six months, and before and during this time, scar macromorphology and color were evaluated; a global evaluation of the therapeutic result was also made.

Scars were also assessed after a six-month treatment-free follow-up period. The global evaluation of the therapeutic result was superior in treated patients, with the rating being "very good" or "good" in 84 percent of treated cases and 59 percent in the untreated patients. The treated scars also showed a tendency toward faster paling and fewer hypertrophic or keloid scars developed in the treated group. The tolerability of the drug was "very good" in 37 and "good" in one of the 38 patients treated. Scar results continued after the end of treatment.

In considering the German studies, it is important to note that, in addition to this onion extract and allantoin, the product available in Europe (Germany-Contractubex) also contains heparin. Heparin is believed to act solely by decreasing the proliferation of fibroblasts, and doing so to a lesser extent than onion extract.

In a small study carried out in the United States, the scars of 17 post-surgical patients were monitored. The control group was treated with an emollient ointment, while the active group was provided with onion extract in a gel. The results of the study indicated that petrolatum-based ointments may provide improved hydration when compared to a gel.56

Another study was carried out in which 99 adults, whose scars ranged in age from three weeks to eight years, received either the onion extract gel or a placebo gel57. Assessments were made at one week, one month and two months of treatment, by board-certified plastic surgeons, as well as continuous monitoring carried out by subjects. Two patients dropped out of the study prior to the one-week follow-up, and 73 patients kept all three follow-up appointments.

At one week, more placebo patients than treated patients reported improvement, with a less noticeable scar (p<0.05) and a less red scar after one month (p<0.001). More treated patients reported improvement with a softer scar after two months (p<0.001). No differences in improvement were noted for physician-related measures between the two groups.

The data from the 73 patients who kept all three follow-up appointments revealed a significant difference between the two groups with respect to patient-reported improvement in the scar being less noticeable (75.6 percent of treated vs. 53.1 percent of placebo, p<0.05). Other analysis showed that the placebo group was more likely to report less redness (p<0.01) and more treated patients to report a softer scar (p<0.05).

Complaints of adverse effects were similar between the two groups and included mild itching, erythema and/or rash. One patient complained of mild hypopigmentation of the skin surrounding the scar; it was not clear whether this person received active treatment or placebo. No data were presented from beyond two months of study.

One product with onion extract as an ingredient is Mederma skin care for scars gel.

My personal opinion on Mederma® skincare for scars

I have been using Mederma® skincare for scars for almost 4 months. I have used out 4 tubes of Mederma® 20g . I tried to find the 50g one in my country - Malaysia and I have called to the correspondent company and what they said was - only 20g is available internationaly.Okie....I bought the 20g one for about USD7.00. Honestly, I dun really like it's scent when I first used it. It smells like onion with a little bit fragrance. Well, I noticed that Mederma® didn't only help to heal scars but also help me to prevent mosquitoes~ So, now you can imagine how WELL did it smells.

Results ~

After using it for 4months, I noticed that my skin improved well. Mederma® helps to fade Post inflammantory hyperpigmentation (PIH) which is the dark or brown spot aftermath of acne. I have took a couple photos during Chinese New Year and found out that Mederma® really did it jobs. My face is a little bit more health-glowing and even skin tone. I have bronze colour skin and I really hope that I could have fair skin. However, I have had a talk with my dermatologist and he told me that guy shouldn't have FAIR skin, a Bronze color skin tone is perfect for a guy. It makes you looks like REAL guy..haha...

Okie...I will recommend Mederma® for you if your problem is only PIH, however, I will tell you all results after I see SIGNIFICANT results which Mederma® will HEAL my scars.

garkEe2003 :roll:

Mederma® is a clear/translucent gel that should be applied 3-4 times per day. You need to rub it gently on your scars.Keloids or hypertrophics scars would need at least 1 year to see significant result.

However, Mederma® contains onion extract, a kind of plant oil that might aggravate your existing acne. As a result, you need to make sure your face is clear from inflammed acne before you started to use it.

It has inflammantory properties and it's soothing. You simply don't need a moisturizer after you applied the gel.I used it as my night moisturizer before I went on bed~

hopefully can help,

garkEe2003 :wink:

I used it and found it not to be worth the trouble. I went through 2 of the big tubes and I saw some smoother skin. {I have mostly indented/rolling scars on my cheeks} Personally I wouldn't bother, the directions say apply 4 or 5 times daily. This equals alot of onion smell and like most medication brings the redness out in your face.

I have seen more the past month 1/2 using copper peptides, exfoliation serum when I can {I work in a bunny suit} and 30% glycolic acid peels.

i must admit, this product is very promising and hard to get.

thanks garkee83 for the great info for this product.

really appreciate it if you can share where to buy it as im malaysian too.

this product has nothing to do with acne scars. i have been using it for a month and nothing has changed so far. i even read a comment about it on a webpage which was from an ex call-center worker of mederma and she said everybody in the company knows it doesn't work. it's totally a bullshit. sorry guys.

I used Contractubex which is practically Mederma for 1 year, atrophic acne scar and the result was negative.