Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aplmn2514

My eyes are stinging when applying BP

Hey. I just purchased the cleanser and BP from acne.org's store. That's my cleanser and BP, but I'm using Aveeno Ultra Calming Facial Moisturizer (w/ 15 SPF) plus Jojoba oil as both my moisturizers. I need 15 SPF since I live under the Las Vegas sun - go figure ;)

Anyways I'm having a problem that I haven't had before. I've used several different brands of BP and for some reason the BP I'm using from Acne.org immediately starts to sting my eyes as soon as I begin to dab it on my face. I've never had this problem before. I feel as if it were to be the vapors that the BP lets off that hits my eyes and starts to sting it. I'm very careful about not applying BP or moisturizers around the eye area (a couple of times I even tried to use a q-tip to remove any BP or moisturizers that were even coming close to my eye area.)

Anyways, I saw on the reviews for the BP 8oz tube that people were having the same problem. The only difference for me is that I'm using the 16oz pumps (yes I did skip the 8oz starter kit and went right to the 16oz bottles cuz I had high hopes for this lol), although I don't see how that makes a difference knowing that its the same stuff inside.

Thanks,

RCB

Edited by aplmn2514

Ok I tried something out during this night's acne routine. I typed the previous post before I completed my nightly routine with the acne products. So this time I did 2 things, which helped stop it (at least for the night).

1) I remember the last 2 times I showered I just went ahead and applied the cleanser on my entire face (including eye area). No I didn't open my eyes but it did get in my eye area and on my eye lids. I would then rinse.

THIS TIME, I applied cleanser to my face in the shower avoiding eye area.

2) This is probably the change I did that's more difficult to describe but I will try my best. After gently patting my face dry and drying off the rest of my body, I waited for about 5 minutes.

Ok so at this point in my routine I'm just using 1 full pump of BP. So I dab on BP and the BP didn't begin to sting my eyes just yet (surprisingly since it usually starts right there). So now I'm barely touching my skin - applying the BP all over my face; the burning/stinging is just starting. NOW is where it changes.

Now I know that its the fumes of the BP that causes the problem. It's not like I'm applying BP in my eye area but the fumes are getting to my eyes. Maybe the BP is just a little too close to my eyes and needs to be pushed farther back from the eyes. So what if I just wiped the BP SURROUNDING the edge of my eye area off my face? That's what I did with a q-tip. I gently wiped off the BP that was surrounding the edge of my eye area off my face and immediately I felt that awful burning sensation stop. I also wiped off the BP from between my 2 eyebrows and between my eyes. I did keep the BP at the bottom 2/3 of my nose on, but I didn't want BP to try to help its way towards my eyes if it meant that it was coming in from between my eyes. So I just wiped that off completely as well.

I mixed my moisturizer (Aveeno Ultra Calming w/ 15 SPF) and Jojoba oil together, but just like my BP I also pushed the moisturizer back from the edge of my eye area. Currently as I'm typing this, my eyes don't burn - not even a bit.

This is just night though. The real challenge is when I'm driving in 90-100 degree weather wearing sunglasses with the car's ventilation blowing air on my face. The air pushes fumes to my eyes and the sunglasses somewhat insulates the BP fumes and keeps it in my eyes. But I will repeat this process in the day routine tomorrow (well today since I'm writing this at 1:30am PST).

TTYL

RCB

Edited by aplmn2514

Only skimmed your post because it's so long, but my eyes sting when applying bp to my face too sometimes. I've found that having good air circulation in the room while applying helps. I'll open a window, door, etc.

Make sure you are keeping a very wide circumference around your eyes free of the bp, and be careful that you aren't dragging the bp close to your eyes when you apply the moisturizer. If that doesn't help, someone else mentioned using a fan or having air circulation may help. Give that a try. If nothing seems to help you may need to switch back to whatever brand of bp you were using before that did not irritate your eyes. Just use your best judgment. You certainly don't want eye irritation.

Hey, sorry for a late reply, but a late reply means that I had more time to experiment with this successful theory. Basically, I have tested this theory 2 times at night and 2 times in the morning and as long as you gently wipe off the BP from around the eye area with a q-tip the BP fumes won’t reach your eyes. I’ve even tested this to see how well it would work during the middle of the day in Vegas 100 degree weather, with sunglasses on, and the car’s ventilation blowing directly on my face. As I’ve mentioned before, that combination helps the BP fumes get into my eyes and it hurts while I’m driving. After wiping the BP off farther away from my eyes the fumes are not able to get into my eyes as easily.

To summarize, I wanted to include a picture of exactly what I was trying to describe for any clarification needed.

post-96367-1284583825_thumb.jpg

As you can see from the picture, there are orange lines and blue lines; the orange lines represent what I consider to be the sensitive eye area around my eyes, and the blue lines represent the area where I wiped any BP off from my face. So to start, while dabbing on BP and gently applying it to my face, I try not to push BP past the blue line that is underneath my eyes (don’t let BP get past this line – including the nose area). I also do not apply BP between the eyebrows or between my eyes. I don’t want fumes to try to reach into my eyes from the sides, the middle, or from the bottom so I don’t allow BP close to my eyes from any angle. As far as the eyebrows are concerned, I only let BP get to the top of them and that’s it. No BP is in my eyes at all so the eyebrows by default will keep the BP from getting in from the top.

I hope this helps. Sorry if anyone’s offended by my face (or eyes). I’m still on the road to an acne-free face and I just thought that it would be helpful to others if I showed what I have learned.

Bye,

RCB

post-96367-1284583825_thumb.jpg

Thanks for this post. I didn't come across it when I posted my complaint on the subject earlier today. Even after just one day, these products seem to be making my skin look a little better and I was thinking that I would have to quit this regimen because I just can't deal with the fumes and tears. I will try this suggestion and maybe I can keep on with this regimen.

Hi everyone,

I just talked with Dan. Here's the situation. Each batch is double tested before being sent out to people. Dan went ahead and tested it a third time (the batch in question), he and Kent both, and it is as it should be.

A few things to keep in mind.

1. Benzoyl peroxide is naturally a very potent product. Potency comes with irritation sometimes. If you have sensitive skin or eyes, you may experience some irritation. It's just part of it.

2. Try to think if there are any sources of eye irritation or strain that you may be going through that could be causing your eyes to be particularly sensitive right now. As the seasons change and allergy season peaks, people may suddenly be irritated by things that didn't bother them before. I know with one of my sons, the Fall is particularly bothersome to his eyes so just about anything will irritate them. Also, if you are spending a lot of time on the computer or in other ways experiencing eye strain, certain things may cause irritation. Just some things to keep in mind.

Anyway, I wanted to give everyone and update and reassure you that the bp is fine and has been triple tested. :)

Hope that helps.

Thank you, Brandy.

Wow. I guess I will need to be finding new products then because I can't deal with the BP and as it is, I have to avoid applying the treatment to areas that I normally break out in just to even SLIGHTLY avoid the irritation to my eyes. It's a damn shame too since the products are the best I have ever tried. I don't mind keeping with the moisturizer, but the cleanser is way too drying for my already extremely dry skin, and the BP too irritating.

Anyone have any suggestions for alternative products to replace Dan's that are nearly as effective? I have read that Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser would be a good replacement for the cleanser, but I can't find a BP other than Neutrogena. I am not interested in Neutrogena products... period. Upon research, I read good things about Benzac AC which is a water-based BP gel, but I can't even find it in an Amazon search. I think it is only available in other countries.

Edited by MINIac
Thank you, Brandy.

Wow. I guess I will need to be finding new products then because I can't deal with the BP and as it is, I have to avoid applying the treatment to areas that I normally break out in just to even SLIGHTLY avoid the irritation to my eyes. It's a damn shame too since the products are the best I have ever tried.

Anyone have any suggestions for alternative products to replace Dan's that are nearly as effective? Please let me know.

There are recommended products in the Regimen pages. http://www.acne.org/regimen.html

Hey all,

I just talked to Kent, and he and Dan have been in contact with the manufacturer of the BP, and, as Brandy said, it seems that the fumes are just kind of part of the whole BP experience.

They did figure out, though, that because DanielKern.com is getting more and more orders for the BP, the BP that's being shipped out is much fresher than it used to be, since it doesn't have as long to sit around. So that may be playing a part in why the fumes are so strong.

They're going to try ordering more BP than usual, so that they can let some of it sit around for a while and hopefully mellow out a bit before it's shipped out, and having more BP on hand should offset how quickly the BP is sent out after it's produced.

In the meantime, I, personally, have found that just walking around while I apply my BP is enough to keep the fumes from irritating my eyes, so that might be a solution for those of you who are sensitive to the BP fumes.

So yeah, I just wanted to let you know that Dan and Kent are looking into this and taking steps to get this resolved for all of us. : )

I too have noticed the BP burns my eyes in this new bottle I got compared to the last one. i have batch 0181 as well, I guess its just because its fresh like you said.

One thing that might help, if you wear contact lenses: put in the contacts after you've washed and dried your face but before you apply anything else. I've found that having contacts in protects my eyes and make them less sensitive to BP, AHA...even onion fumes :)

So if you wear contacts but don't normally put them in until you're done with your face routine, try getting them in sooner and see if that helps. And if you wear glasses, well, I suppose you could try switching to contacts and see if that helps too!

Hey all,

I just talked to Kent, and he and Dan have been in contact with the manufacturer of the BP, and, as Brandy said, it seems that the fumes are just kind of part of the whole BP experience.

They did figure out, though, that because DanielKern.com is getting more and more orders for the BP, the BP that's being shipped out is much fresher than it used to be, since it doesn't have as long to sit around. So that may be playing a part in why the fumes are so strong.

They're going to try ordering more BP than usual, so that they can let some of it sit around for a while and hopefully mellow out a bit before it's shipped out, and having more BP on hand should offset how quickly the BP is sent out after it's produced.

In the meantime, I, personally, have found that just walking around while I apply my BP is enough to keep the fumes from irritating my eyes, so that might be a solution for those of you who are sensitive to the BP fumes.

So yeah, I just wanted to let you know that Dan and Kent are looking into this and taking steps to get this resolved for all of us. : )

Good idea! That makes sense! and Thanks Brandy for this information!! :)

I guess that my eyes are starting to get adjusted to the burning sensation caused by the BP. I still have to by-pass certain areas that are too close to the eye area such as between the eyebrows and the nose but luckily I haven't been breaking out there yet. This is still the best product I have ever tried which is why I am trying so hard to make it work, despite its couple of faults. I will give it another chance and re-order and hopefully the next tube will be less irritating.

Dan wants to go ahead and look into this. Can those of you who are experiencing eye irritation please PM me with the batch number of your bp?

Thanks!

Hey Brandy,

The batch number I am using is 0181, and its almost no fail that my eyes burn after almost every application. I haven't said anything because its doing so so well for my skin, and I want to keep using it, but its probably damaging to the eyes if it keeps burning them. I leave a pretty wide circumference around my eyes as well. Any ideas suggestions? I had the same problems with the first bottle as well. Hmmmm?

my eyes are stinging too from my new bp tube. the number on the crimped seal is 01050412 which is different from you others so i dont think its a batch thing.

That's the same batch I have, so you're not the only one. Like I said in my previous post, though, I've found that just walking around while I apply my BP is enough to keep it from making my eyes water.

Just wanted to chime in that I've been experiencing this stinging eye problem with Acne.org's BP treatment as well. This is the first time that I've had it happened, although I've ordered the same product several times over the past couple of years. While it subsides after about 5 minutes, the initial stinging from whatever vapors are being emitted is very strong and irritating. (Lot#0181, Sept 2010 purchase.)