Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Allen1970

Dr. Geoffrey Nase - Rosacea Journal Articles online for free

I have been following Dr. Geoffrey Nase, a biomedical doctor who had severe rosacea, facial flushing, blushing and redness. He is a MicroVascular Physiologist and has published nearly a dozen journal articles on the underlying causes of this disorder and the best treatments for facial flushing, blushing and redness.

You can also learn more about this disorder from his articles on symptoms, subtypes and triggers. Definitely worth the read. As you can see from your posts there is a lot of confusion over rosacea. Symptoms, subtyes, severity, progressiveness, genetics, etc. Dr. Nase breaks these down for everyone and this may help you and/or your doctor treat the specifics of your case.

This is not a commercial plug for his Rosadyn Nutraceutical. It is his personal website (*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *) where he allows free access to rosacea information. Feel free to read and learn about rosacea and facial flushing. You can start at the top left or go right to the "Articles" or "Symtpoms"

Best Wishes.

As you can see on his informational site there are many causes for facial redness.

More importantly, his journal articles help sufferers determine if it is facial redness due to skin or blood vessels. This changes treatment protocols dramatically, because, as he points out on his site (*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *), treating the skin can make the blood vessels worse and vice versa.

So you really need to understand the disoder or your physician could be making you worse..

Knowledge = Power.

Here is an example of a short editorial by Dr. Geoffrey Nase. I'm sure most of us can relate:

Rosacea and Emotions:

Anxiety

Topics Discussed Below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosacea and anxiety

Key symptoms of anxiety

Important comments on anxiety

Anxiety can be caused by facial flushing and trigger avoidance

Anxiety can progress to erythrophobia and social phobia

Depression & Anxiety: Their effect on rosacea

Importance of treating depression and anxiety

References

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I. Rosacea and Anxiety

It is common for moderate to severe rosacea sufferers to report feelings of anxiety. (11, 36, 37) Anxiety is often triggered by bouts of facial flushing, burning sensations or progression of the disorder.

II. Key Symptoms of Anxiety

Nervousness or tension

Dizziness or faintness

Trembling or shaking

Sweating

Chest pain or tightness

Rapid heart beat

Choking or lump in the throat

Nausea or abdominal discomfort

Panic

Irritable bowel or indigestion

Difficulty sleeping or insomnia

Preoccupation with illness

Fear of growing crazy

III. Important Comments on Anxiety

Worry is the most common form that anxiety takes.

Anxiety can include feelings of tension and agitation, or inability to relax. When patients talk of stress, they are usually referring to the underlying sense of anxiety and increased tension. (38)

Generalized anxiety disorder is a persistent anxiety and worry that lasts for at least six months.

IV. Anxiety can be caused by Facial Flushing and Trigger Avoidance

As rosacea progresses, most sufferers realize that any trigger that makes them flush, causes their faces to physically worsen and hurt (i.e. cause increased redness, inflammation, papules, pustules, and burning sensations). This can result in acute anxiety (short-term), and chronic anxiety (long-term).

Acute Anxiety: During flushing episodes rosacea sufferers can physically feel the blood rushing through their sensitive facial skin. This is often accompanied by uncomfortable sensations of burning, or stinging. Each of these sensations can trigger feelings of anxiety. This form of anxiety is usually short-lived, and dissipates after the flush subsides.

Chronic Anxiety: Sadly, chronic anxiety is primarily caused by the main treatment for this disorder -- total avoidance of anything that makes a rosacea sufferer's face flush. Most general physicians emphasize to their patients that they must avoid all triggers for flushing. However, what the general physician does not realize is that most rosacea sufferers have dozens of daily triggers for facial flushing; from skincare products, to food and drink, warmth and heat, exercise, mental concentration, embarrassment, emotions (feelings of excitement, happiness, or sadness), physical exertion, sun, wind, cold, and spontaneous flushing. Very few diseases, whether inflammatory, cardiovascular, or hormonal, have as many triggers for disease progression. Rosacea experts stress, "People don't realize the variety of minor things that can increase blood flow in the face, causing aggravation of rosacea." (39) So, in order for rosacea sufferers to avoid getting worse, they must stop performing activities that trigger flushing, and continuously think ahead in order to side-step potential triggers that may come up throughout the day. This can cause chronic anxiety in the most emotionally balanced person!

V. Anxiety can Progress to Erythrophobia and Social Phobia

Erythrophobia: Erythrophobia is the fear of getting red. Some sufferers simply have a morbid fear of facial flushing -- they fear getting red in front of friends or strangers. However, in many cases, erythrophobia may develop in rosacea sufferers after they realize that flushing causes physical changes to the facial skin and burning sensations -- they fear the repercussions of facial flushing.

Social Phobia: Over time, rosacea sufferers may develop social phobia. The essential feature of social phobia is a persistent fear and avoidance of social situations in which flushing may occur such as speaking with others, dating, shopping, eating out, spending time with others in warm rooms or environments, etc. A vicious cycle is then created where the fear of flushing….. generates anxiety….. triggering even more flushing….. causing the sufferer to regress even further.

VI. Depression and Anxiety: Their Effect on Rosacea

Although depression and anxiety do not cause rosacea, they both can worsen rosacea symptoms through alterations that take place in the subconscious mind. The subconscious mind (an area of the brain that we do not have control over), has a powerful influence over nerve activity and hormone production. Depression and anxiety can cause alterations in brain activity and neurotransmitter production, resulting in increased sympathetic nerve activity and hormone release. (40, 41) This can worsen facial flushing and rosacea symptoms.

Depression and anxiety can alter nerve and hormonal activity in two ways (acute & chronic alterations):

Acute alterations in sympathetic nerve and hormonal activity: Depression and anxiety can change the subconscious brain activity, lowering the threshold for activation of sympathetic nerves, and release of dilator hormones. In effect, this would make the rosacea sufferer much more sensitive to certain flush stimuli (i.e., heat, exertion, stress, mental activity, exercise, emotions, etc.).

Chronic alterations in sympathetic nerve and hormonal activity: Depression and anxiety can change the subconscious brain activity, triggering the continual activation of sympathetic nerves, and release of dilator hormones. In effect, this would cause a constant, low-grade facial flush due to continuous activation of sympathetic nerves or increased hormone production. (40)

VII. Importance of Treating Depression and Anxiety

In those rosacea sufferers who experience moderate depression or anxiety, it is highly recommended that they seek treatment. In some cases, treating the depression or anxiety may help break the vicious cycle, and give the rosacea sufferer a better chance for full recovery.

VIII. References

Olff, M. Stress, depression and immunity: the role of defense and coping styles. Psychiatry Res 85: 7-15, 1999.

Koo, J.Y. and C.T. Pham. Psychodermatology. Practical guidelines on pharmacotherapy. Arch Dermatol 128: 381-388, 1992.

National Rosacea Society. "Rosacea Review". Summer. 1998. Drake,L.

Panconesi, E. Psychosomatic dermatology. Clin Dermatol 2: 94-179, 1984.

Gifford-Jones. "That rosy blush may be bad". Inside Health Column, 1998.

Plewig, G. and A.M. Klingman. Rosacea. In: Acne and Rosacea, edited by G. Plewig and A.M. Klingman. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1993, p. 433-475.

Yoffe, E. "Leading with his nose". . 2000. U.S. News Online: Health and Fitness.

National Rosacea Society. Drake, L. Rosacea Review. 2000. Spring.

Sobye, P. "Aetiology and pathogenesis of rosacea". Acta Derm Venereol 30: 137-157, 1950.

Marks, R. "Concepts in the pathogenesis of rosacea". Br J Dermatol 80: 170-177, 1968.

Garnis-Jones, S. Psychological aspects of rosacea. J Cutan Med Surg 2 Suppl 4: S4-S91998.

Garver, J.H. and J.K. Wilkin. Flushing and rosacea: overview and nursing interventions. Dermatol Nurs 4: 271-277, 1992.

Millikan, L. Recognizing rosacea. Postgrad Med 105: 149-8, 1999.

Anonymous. Rosacea: a chronic disease of the skin which, if not treated, can cause permanent damage. Sante Que 3: 17-18, 1992.

Marks, R. and D.S. Wilkinson. "Rosacea and perioral dermatitis". In: Textbook of Dermatology, edited by R. Marks and D.S. Wilkinson. Blackwell Scientific Publication, 1986, p. 1433-1438.

Neumann, E. and A. Frithz. Capillaropathy and capillaroneogenesis in the pathogenesis of rosacea. Int J Dermatol 37: 263-266, 1998.

Marks, R. and J.N. Harcourt-Webster. Histopathology of rosacea. Arch Dermatol 100: 683-691, 1969.

Kikuchi, I., B. Saita, and S. Inoue. Haber's syndrome. Report of a new family. Arch Dermatol 117: 321-324, 1981.

Erdogan, F.G., P. Yurtsever, D. Aksoy, and F. Eskioglu. Efficacy of low-dose isotretinoin in patients with treatment-resistant rosacea. Arch Dermatol 134: 884-885, 1998.

Holger, B. "Mepacrine and chloroquine in the treatment of rosacea". Br J Dermatol 67: 421-425, 1955.

Greaves, M.W. "Flushing, flushing syndromes, rosacea and perioral dermatitis". In: Textbook of Dermatology, edited by R.H. Champion, J.L. Burton, and et al. Malden: Blackwell Science, 1998, p. 2099-2112.

Macsai, M.S., M.J. Mannis, and A.C. Huntley. "Acne Rosacea". In: Eye and Skin Disease, edited by M.S. Macsai, M.J. Mannis, and A.C. Huntley. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven, 1996, p. 335-341.

National Rosacea Society. "Rosacea Review". Spring. 1998. Drake,L.

Shear, N.H. and C. Levine. Needs survey of Canadian rosacea patients. J Cutan Med Surg 3: 178-181, 1999.

National Rosacea Society. "Rosacea Review". Spring/Summer. 1992. Wilkin,J.K.

Erhard, M. "Rosacea: More americans now enter danger years for rosacea". 1999. National Rosacea Society.

National Rosacea Society. "Rosacea Review". Winter. 1994. Wilkin,J.K.

National Rosacea Society. "Rosacea Review". In: edited by J.K. Wilkin. 1994.

National Rosacea Society. "Rosacea Review". Summer. 1994. Wilkin,J.K.

National Rosacea Society. "Rosacea Review". (Winter). 1995. Drake,L.

National Rosacea Society. "Rosacea Review". Spring. 1997. Drake,L.

National Rosacea Society. "Rosacea Review". Spring. 1999. Drake,L.

Rapp, S.R., S.R. Feldman, L. Exum, A.B. Fleishcer, and D.M. Reboussin. "Psoriasis causes as much disability as other major diseases". J Am Acad Dermatol 41: 401-407, 1999.

Stein, D.J. and C. Bouwer. Blushing and social phobia: a neuroethological speculation. Med Hypotheses 49: 101-108, 1997.

Drott, C., G. Claes, L. Olsson-Rex, P. Dalman, T. Fahlen, and G. Gothberg. Successful treatment of facial blushing by endoscopic transthoracic sympathicotomy. Br J Dermatol 138: 639-643, 1998.

Klaber, R. and E. Wittkower. "The pathogenesis of rosacea: a review with special reference to emotional factors". Br J Dermatol Syp 51: 501, 1939.

Puchalski, Z. and L. Szlendak. Anxiety as a state and anxiety as a personality trait in patients with alopecia areata, rosacea and lichen ruber planus. Z Hautkr 58: 1038-1048, 1983.

Koo, J. and C. Gambla. Psychopharmacology for dermatologic patients. Dermatol Clin 14: 509-523, 1996.

National Rosacea Society. "Rosacea Review". Fall. 1996. Drake,L.

Rozanski, A., J.A. Blumenthal, and J. Kaplan. Impact of psychological factors on the pathogenesis of cardiovascular disease and implications for therapy. Circulation 99: 2192-2217, 1999.

Piccirillo, G. and et al. "Autonomic modulation of heart rate and blood pressure in hypertensive subjects with symptoms of anxiety". Clin Sci 95(1): 43-52, 1998

New Laser Treatment Machines and Protocols for treating facial redness and flushing.

Dr. Nase published this article in the well-respected medical journal, Practiacal Dermatology.

It details cutting edge approaches using a triple pass protocol to get the surface vessels and the flushing vessels (http://www.practicaldermatology.com/issues/0707/pd0707%20erythema%20fea.pdf)

Dr. Geoffrey Nase's newest laser treatment protocol specifically for facial flushing.

This was published in Practical Dermatology as the Cover Story: Getting to the Core of Erythema

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

You are clearly either Dr Nase himself or working for Dr Nase....Did you not learn from the rosacea forums?

Your 'protocol' is nothing more than Dr Crouchs protocal....and he has been doing it for years!

I learned the hard way that the ingredients in a product can help or hurt my skin and rosacea. One "high-end" eye cream caused my skin to become flaming red and my eyes to swell shut!

When I had a major breakout/skin reaction, a dermatologist told me to use the cleanest (most chemical-free) products I could find to help my skin.

I started with organic olive oil as a cleanser (massage it into skin to remove oil and dirt!), then rinsed with warm water and put on a thin layer of organic honey.

The honey kills all kinds of germs and bacteria AND moisturizes, plus it leaves the skin feeling very soft. After rinsing the honey off, I put on a thin layer of olive oil to protect my skin.

This did wonders very quickly. As soon as my skin was back to "normal" I looked for products I could buy that were chemical free. That took reading labels and learning about what's in products.

It seems manufacturers of skincare products can make any claims and use any ingredients because they're not monitored by the USDA or the FDA. Not good.

So, certified organic products are the way to go for me. Using them (plus organic honey as a treat for my face), has left my skin in beautiful condition and the rosacea is no longer a problem.

With so many manufacturers using chemicals in their products, almost any product - cleansers, moisturizers, shampoos, conditioners, hair gels and sunscreens - can be causing breakouts on your face and body.

A page that shows what to look for in organic products as well as ingredients to avoid in other skin and hair care products is under "organic skin care" in the nav bar on the best-mens-skin.care dot com site.

To find chemical-free products, read labels and research ingredients - or start with certified organic ingredients which don't contain harmful chemicals.

Mayo

Nase is up to his old and tired games again. Always pretending to be others while praising himself in the hopes of drawing attention to his products. He is a fraud and all his products are frauds. Google debunking nase and decide for yourself.

Edited by Jimm

You are clearly either Dr Nase himself or working for Dr Nase....Did you not learn from the rosacea forums?

Sure sounds like Nase to me. He will infiltrate all the online support groups he can in his attempt to make money out of those unfortunates with skin problems. Most of the main rosacea Forums banned him but you will usually find him popping up somewhere under yet another alias.

As Jimm says Mr Nase is a proven fraudster and conman.

I have begun to read the book by Dr Nase. I find that it is very factual. I don't know why you care if he is self promoting. Isn't that what everyone is doing these days?? 

Worry about your selfies and leave this poor guy alone.