Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arcade

Arcade's Accutane Log

This is the best log in the world... tribute.

I'm starting Accutane because, well, all else has failed. The Retin-A kind of worked, but my skin is still reddy, plotchy.. spotty, and I really want to do something about it (so I can get laid).

I went to the hospital last Tuesday for a dermatologist appointment and he put me straight onto Accutane, so instead of following the cleanser - Retin-A - moisturiser ritual that would take 30 minutes every night, I threw the Retin A away, had a blood test the following day, and started my Accutane 'journey'.

I was kind of scared because I'd read all about the horrible side effects, the depression, the nausea, the suicide etcetera. It's quite unsettling, but 4 days on I'm still taking the pills, 20mg a day at first, and 40mg, 60mg later on in the 'journey', for about 5 months in total.

So, I'm doing this log on probably a weekly basis (I don't want to get hooked on assessing every detail of my skin), for both your good (please post comments!), and my good, because I need to practice my writing skills, and also see how well I'm doing, just to remind myself, if I'm doing very well or not.

Edited by Arcade

Ok! Day 5:

My side effects so far include:

Feeling like I'm going to retch

Spontaneous crying (my eyes were stinging)

Joint Pain

Blood in nose (not nosebleed, because, I didn't bleed)

Headache

Dry skin just below nose

My mum is, I think, against me taking Accutane, because apparently it's not worth all the risk just 'for the sake of a few spots', however she understands that it's my decision and only I know how much acne is affecting me. My main worries are projectile vomiting over my new schoolmates, fainting in the middle of assembly and extreme redness and flakeness when I'm planning to ask a girl out on a date.. not only do these problems worry me, they rack me to the very core of my bones - but only momentarily, and usually in the first 5 seconds of the day, then I just get over it and concerntrate on getting clearer skin :)

awww relaxxxxxxx! i never puked on tane... just make sure u take the pills after dinner when u have alot of food in ur stomach. fainting? shouldn't happen. redness/flakiness? possible. what moisturizier r u using? i recommend adding aloe vera gel to it. helps redness. fruit of the earth is a good brand! i got it off amazon.

good luck!!

hey new friend!

just wnated to wish you all the luck i can muster. its rough going at the start.. but they say it gets better! thousands of people can't be wrong and their pictures don't lie :)

j x

Hey thank you for all your kind words! I'll be checking out all your logs and replying in the near future :)

Just a brief update, I am at Day 9 now, no NEW side effects, just trying to keep calm about it all :)

Week 2

I'm now on Day 13 of my Accutane 'journey'. I can't say much has happened so far concerning the improvement of my skin, rather I've had incredibly dry lips, a breakout of about 6 or 7 spots, and other minor side effects like headache, and joint pain, and 'blood in nose', which I don't really care for too much.

I'm managing to avoid the nosebleeds and the dry skin by vaseline and a really awesome moisturiser. They are my best inanimate friends :D

I think the main thing I'm worrying about is the redness of my skin, because it is very red and patchy in places and, as a man human.. it's hard to cover all of that up! Anyone have any suggestions for redness? I crave comments :):):)

I think starting Accutane is like marriage.... you start to think up doubts about why you shouldn't do it but hopefully it will all be ok in the end.. nobody at college seems to notice, in fact they notice the dry lips far more, so I will be purchasing some lypsyl real soon.

Hey so thanks for reading my log! Stay tuned :D I'm going to go and watch some Friends.. I suggest you do the same!

Edited by Arcade

Week 3

Another week has been and gone. I stepped up to 40mg a day on Tuesday, so my skin is at present much drier and my lips have cracked terribly - lypsyl and moisturiser really are your best friends! Of course, I don't mind much, it's just part of the process.

Wednesday morning wasn't great as I had to put on some jojoba seconds before catching the bus to college. I spent about 15 minutes in the college toilets rubbing in any cream I might have had, but I think it was ok in the end.

I'm getting a few spots here and there, especially around my jaw line (in fact, only around my jawline) - I have this weird yellow thing on my cheek, wish it would go tbh, it's not a spot, more of a small cricular mark of yellowishness. Yeuch.

I think things are going to get tougher but I think I'm just going to persevere. Thanks for reading!

Week 3

Another week has been and gone. I stepped up to 40mg a day on Tuesday, so my skin is at present much drier and my lips have cracked terribly - lypsyl and moisturiser really are your best friends! Of course, I don't mind much, it's just part of the process.

Wednesday morning wasn't great as I had to put on some jojoba seconds before catching the bus to college. I spent about 15 minutes in the college toilets rubbing in any cream I might have had, but I think it was ok in the end.

I'm getting a few spots here and there, especially around my jaw line (in fact, only around my jawline) - I have this weird yellow thing on my cheek, wish it would go tbh, it's not a spot, more of a small cricular mark of yellowishness. Yeuch.

I think things are going to get tougher but I think I'm just going to persevere. Thanks for reading!

haha i like that 'yellow thing of weirdness' i think everyone can relate to the alien things that take up residence on our faces. your like what the eff ARE you. why are you still there after two months? time to put him on a bus and send him over the border...

:)

the accutane bus

keep on truckin arcade!

j x

Hehe thanks J!

Ok, time for my 'should-be-doing-history-homework' Accutane log..

The weeks are going by fast, and to date I'm having a much better Accutane experience than I ever thought I would. The chapped lips are getting ever chappier, my skin needs repeated moisturiser in both morning and night, the bits of skin around my nose feel exeptionally dry and I do repeatedly lose my appetite.

But this is all! It's ok, really! This is what I expected - wait - this is much much better than I expected - this is even better than when I was on Benzoyl Peroxide.

Just so long as my skin doesn't flake and my brain doesn't spontaneously combust through the pressures of it all, it's all going ok. I am up to the big six-zero mg on Tuesday which I'm both excited and nervous about, I'm going to order some Jojoba oil, or 'Joil', on the interweb soon, and go round to boots sometime to get some A* chapstick (that's not a brand name, just, it's good, good chapstick).

Ah and the British weather really helps with avoiding the sunburn!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Edited by Arcade

hahah ya! im glad things are going well!!!

ya sun is not fun on tane. during my last course (which was part of last summer) i had to hide and put on 70 spf.

i was even at a football game yesterday and it was cold but sunny-ish and my cheeks burned! and im not even on tane. i start my second course tomorrow! ugh

Well, it's been 2 weeks since my last post. I am now on 60mg a day, which is very difficult to keep a track of. I guess the biggest, most annoying problem has been the dry lips, although this isn't anywhere near as annoying as when I had flakey skin a year ago on Benzoyl Peroxide, that was just awfully depressing.

Apart from that, I am having a few other side effects, but I guess on Accutane you can pretty much blame anything at all happening to your body as being a result of the drugs, when it could be something else entirely. At the moment it includes:

Loss of Apetite

Dry Lips

Dry Skin (especially on backs of arms)

Redness (debatable, I hate looking in the mirror)

Eye Redness

I don't know if the redness in my eyes is because of the Accutane or because of the moisturizer going in my eyes. I'm using plenty of vaseline/lypsyl on my lips, but I might try drinking far more water throughout the day.

I also looked through some photos of me from around May/June time. My face looked absolutely terrible, worse than I really ever noticed - I guess I would have found it incredibly difficult to get through all that shit if I'd have actually of looked in the mirror! My way of getting through all that was just to not notice it, to not accept it.

I really need to put a couple of pictures up so that you can notice the difference, I might do this tommorow, but for now, goodnight!

what do you use to cleanse and moisturize?

i recommend cerave lotion or cream and adding some aloe vera gel to it to help rednesss. but u have to be careful with the aloe brand u choose. if u decide to try aloe, defiantly get the "fruit of the earth brand" its made for acne prone skin and is colorless and fragrence free

Hi :) I use Neutrogena Cleanser and Neutrogena Moisturiser on my face, and Jojoba Oil if it's really dry. I'll have a look at the Aloe Vera you mentioned, I'll shop around.

Week 8

Seriously? Is it seriously Week 8? That's quite incredible, once you get on the course the days just fly by. It only feels like yesterday when I was given my very first Accutane batch.

Anyway, things are going great. I am starting to be able to look at myself in mirrors again! I'm getting so much more confident now, I'm making so many new friends at college and, wow, it's just amazing. Hopefully I'll be able to get the courage to ask this girl out, she's one of my best friends. If I am able to do that then I think that would be an incredible achievement - even more incredible if she actually said yes.

On the down side, I was ill last week so this is going to have some sort of affect on my skin defence. I have a small spot on left cheek from two days ago, I also have a fairly big cut from falling off of a motorised skateboard and from previous attempts I know that Vaseline/Savlon doesn't particularly help acne! But hey, it's to stop scaring, and should be gone within a few days.

Side Effects include:

Dry Skin (but less so)

Dry Lips (but less so than a couple of weeks before)

Back Ache (new)

Redness

The headaches and the loss of apetite have gone. It's hard to remember how many pills you have taken in one day though, so I might print off some sort of.. timetable?

Oh and, I just wanted to add, I've been on this forum a year now. Happy forum birthday to me! This time last year I was walking into school with white dead skin flakes scattered across my face with red skin and yellow spots. My so called 'friends' laughed at me and it was very depressing... I guess it was a very humiliating time those two weeks, and I think I have this forum to thank for really helping me out!

Those friends, they're not my friends anymore :)

It's been a whole month? Seriously?

Well, that's probably a good thing, it means my mind is not on acne all the time. Things have been going amazing over these past 4 weeks. I had a little illness a while ago, and that set me back a bit, I had a massive spot right next to my nose - but it is fading. I am having to have quick, cool showers in the morning which is something I'm not used to, but is a habit I really need to get into. I've had about 3 days where my skin has been very dry - not flakey, jus dead-skin like - one of these days was a school day and I hadn't looked in the mirror before I went - I must have spent at least 30 minutes in the college toilets wetting my skin and getting all of the dead stuff off! I eas very lucky that the college toilets are impeccibly clean, and that nobody was using them during all the time I was in there. A lesson learnt, I hope - never have long, boiling showers!

The temperature is also freezing cold, so I am wrapping up warm, it's also a good excuse to stay inside and play Xbox :)

A couple of weeks ago I also paid a visit to my Dermatologist's assistant, who is actually exeptionally more helpful and supportive than my actual Dermo - she noticed my dry lips and gave me a cup of this miracle lip balm - it's called 'Hydromol' ointment if your interested, it's just brilliant - forget Vaseline, forget Lypsyl, this stuff is amazing!

So everything, as of now, is going well. Remember that girl I was talking about? I asked her out. She said no, but, meh, I don't think it has anything to do with my skin now.

Oh, getting a few aches and pains, especially with my back - and sometimes redness around usual areas, but as long as I'm not getting spots, It's a very small price to pay.

sounds like things are going well!!

and don't worry about the girl, lots of other fish in the sea as they say. but it was good that u asked her out.

Hi, thanks for the support! :) I'm pretty much over now; its a great feeling being free from it all.

Well, I have been on Accutane now since mid September, so that would make it 3 1/2 months.. wow.. that's quite a long time! The last few weeks have been pretty amazing, I've been able to look in mirrors again, I've been able to be confident infront of friends, strangers, and collegues - I've got myself a job (volunteering!) I have had just one spot in the 'danger area' within the last.. well, since August time, and even that was because I was ill :). I consider myself very lucky.

I've sorted out the dry lips by using Hydromol - that's a lifesaver. But right now I'm having a great deal of trouble with dry eyes. This was always a possibility, and its rather irritating but, I have to admit I'm worried about how long its going to last. Even after Accutane? Or can I actually do something about it? The problem exacerbates when I look at computer screens - so maybe I should stop looking at so many computer screens!

Anyway, might be paying a visit to the Optomitrists sometime after Christmas. For now everyone on this forum, I hope we are all able to forgo the misery of acne for at least one day, and enjoy a very merry Christmas.