Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KatiKat

Peer Pressure and Accutane!

Hi!

For two years I refused to go on accutane because I was afraid of developing depression. I am a nursing student and I cannot afford to have something as pointless as depression get in the way of my future. I was afraid of suicide, because lets face it, living in NYC isn't the easiest thing in the world. I didn't want to go on birth control because I feared the mood swings and the weight gain. But most importantly, I couldn't afford to pay for this ridiculous drug that was only going to ruin my liver and have me standing on the roof of some building threatening to jump off!

After years of being nagged by my friends (who have used accutane) to do something serious about my acne I decided to drink the poison.

Here I am, 20 days into my treatment and my face has not looked better in three years!

I am on 10 mg of isotrentinoin. I bought a 14 month supply (I am taking it everyday for a year and then I would take 10 mg every other day or every 3 days) and I paid no more than 50 dollars for it all! So far I am unbelievably happy with the results.

I am expecting to break out sometime in the near future, but I honestly don't mind. My lips are chapped, I dont mind. My mood is stable.

So I just wanted to introduce myself and say that I hope I had done this sooner to prevent any scaring

Edited by KatiKat

Hi there. Good luck with your Accutane course!

I'm a week into mine...dry as!

I am on 10 mg of isotrentinoin. I bought a 14 month supply (I am taking it everyday for a year and then I would take 10 mg every other day or every 3 days) and I paid no more than 50 dollars for it all! So far I am unbelievably happy with the results.

Hi!

For two years I refused to go on accutane because I was afraid of developing depression. I am a nursing student and I cannot afford to have something as pointless as depression get in the way of my future. I was afraid of suicide, because lets face it, living in NYC isn't the easiest thing in the world. I didn't want to go on birth control because I feared the mood swings and the weight gain. But most importantly, I couldn't afford to pay for this ridiculous drug that was only going to ruin my liver and have me standing on the roof of some building threatening to jump off!

After years of being nagged by my friends (who have used accutane) to do something serious about my acne I decided to drink the poison.

Here I am, 20 days into my treatment and my face has not looked better in three years!

I am expecting to break out sometime in the near future, but I honestly don't mind. My lips are chapped, I dont mind. My mood is stable.

So I just wanted to introduce myself and say that I hope I had done this sooner to prevent any scaring

Good luck.

But Im with anymourproblems. 14 mo. is too long imo , where did you get it from?

Edited by Time_traveler

Hahhaha actually there are many people on 10 mg a day for longer than 6 months.

I am taking it under the watchful eye of a dermatologist what I did though is that I bought it from out of the country so I can afford it, then went to a dermatologist here and asked him about it. I consulted with two different dermatologists, one here and the other in my country (where I bought the medication) and they both agreed on 10 mg a day for up to 10 months. I bought 14 just in case I lost a box.

Also, after the ten months are up I can take 10 mg every other day for a few months.

This is a much safer dosage than 40, 60 or the insane 80 mg that some people are taking on here. My acne is very mild compared to some of the pictures I have seen on here. Taking this dosage decreases the negative side effects and decreases my need to go for a monthly blood test (even though I will still be doing it)

But yeah, there are MANY people on here who are on low dose accutane

Hahhaha actually there are many people on 10 mg a day for longer than 6 months.

I am taking it under the watchful eye of a dermatologist what I did though is that I bought it from out of the country so I can afford it, then went to a dermatologist here and asked him about it. I consulted with two different dermatologists, one here and the other in my country (where I bought the medication) and they both agreed on 10 mg a day for up to 10 months. I bought 14 just in case I lost a box.

Also, after the ten months are up I can take 10 mg every other day for a few months.

This is a much safer dosage than 40, 60 or the insane 80 mg that some people are taking on here. My acne is very mild compared to some of the pictures I have seen on here. Taking this dosage decreases the negative side effects and decreases my need to go for a monthly blood test (even though I will still be doing it)

But yeah, there are MANY people on here who are on low dose accutane

me! i'm a fairly low dose. 30 mg a day. although i'm a little lady and my acne is not severe, ie there are parts of my face not affected.. but i get cystic outbreaks.. anyway i wanted to be on 40 but the derm is like no take 30 for longer. although 10mg a day is Really low. like wow thats low!

are you just really concerned with the side effects?

i think the dosage is to your weight not just your acne severity. otherwise it might not actually work?

who knows! i'm just glad your seeing a doctor :)

good luck

j x

Edited by jennyband

14 months is an extremely long time lol it seems like.

and 10mg idk almost seems like a ridiculously low dose.

and again i'm in absolutely no way downplaying your situation at all i completely and 100% back your decision as it is deffinately a hard one. i myself just recently made the decision to go on this drug!

but hey if its working for you and you're feeling better about your skin already who can complain about that!

either way what i'm trying to say is good luck, and i hope your course goes smooth!

Thanks!

I am still in my first month, who knows, he may up my dosage after the second month.

He's treated hundreds of patients this way and was quite successful at it so I am not really worried. Anyways, if the blood tests come back abnormal I am willing to stop immediately.

I am very happy with the results so far :)

Oh no, its not a problem. This only means that you guys are looking out for me, and I really appreciate that :)

I got two pimples on my left cheek today :( not a happy camper right now especially after being almost clear for two weeks. I guess I should expect all hell to break loose on my face in the upcoming weeks....ohhh noooo

I guess my face DID NOT explode with acne. The two pimples on my left cheek are disappearing. Overall my face doesn't look too bad, my skin looks bright white due to the lack of oil but I have various small pimples here and there. I guess I feel like a normal teenager getting a few pimples (except I am 22 years old hahah)

I guess my face DID NOT explode with acne. The two pimples on my left cheek are disappearing. Overall my face doesn't look too bad, my skin looks bright white due to the lack of oil but I have various small pimples here and there. I guess I feel like a normal teenager getting a few pimples (except I am 22 years old hahah)

Hey

I am curious about your dose. I have actually read about people taking a smaller amount like this for a longer period of time, and it does ward off side effects (or so I read). To me, if you take 10 mg/day for 14 months, or 40 mg/day for five months, the only difference really is that it is spread out more over time.

When people respond to you saying it is so low, I wonder if they know that Accutane is just a concentrated dose of Vit A? I mean, technically speaking, overdosing on Vitamin A should have the same effects, right? (Not that I reccomend that).

Just something I found on the Wiki:

Lower-dosage treatments, such as 10–20 mg/day (approximately half the high dosage treatments above), are also highly effective, with greatly diminished side-effects.[22][23][24][25][26][27][28] However, such lower dosage courses may be associated with higher relapse rates requiring additional courses of isotretinoin, especially if not taken for sufficient time.[

I am going to ask my derm about this. I am scheduled to start on 40 mg/day in about a week. Since my acne is heavily related to diet, however, and I am also seeing a naturopath, I am wondering if it would behoove me to go on more lik 10 or 20 mg/day. My acne can get very severe when I eat certain foods. Avoiding those foods, it still persists, but is much more moderate.

Cheers,

J

Good luck!! 14months seems long but as long as ur reaching ur commulative dose i dont think the dose and length matter!

unless the dose is so high its dangerous...

Edited by X3Kell3X

Hey KatiKat,

Just after reading through your log! It sounds like you are doing great. Well done on sourcing cheap Accutane - I paid 99 euro for 1 months supply which is about 130 dollars! ...

I have a friend who went out with a guy that was based in New York and she was so self conscious about her weight and looks. She often talked about who beautiful all of the girls were and she hated going to central park because they were all out tanning themselves!. Peer pressure is a terrible thing but I think you made a good decision biting the bullet before your condition got out of control. I'm 30 and I only started getting acne a couple of years ago.. I've pumped my body with so much antibiotics because I refused to go on accutane.

Hope all goes well for you . Best of luck :)

Just something I found on the Wiki:

Just to let you know you cannot use WikiPedia as a reference in an arguement.

I'm just saying :)

Haha I agree with you! I have read the info on lower doses else where, I am not sure where, but it does make sense that a lower dose would have less of an impact on your body, and hypothetically, a lower risk of side effects.

I am curious how your Ny Derm can honestly say that ordering your boxes from another country is okay, as if I remember the pharmacy has to put the prescrption # in the I pledge system along w/ your physican noting your labs???? You know 14 physican's can't prescribe accutane anymore due to similar things like this....

I suggest though if you stay on accutane for 14 months or countinue after that to have your bones scaned xray and dexa scan.

Good Luck