Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys, I'm looking for a decent exfoliator. In the past I used to use Proactiv, which had the best exfoliator I've found (the first part/bottle of the 3 steps). I've bought many different kinds, and none seem to be as good. And by good, I mean have enough "beads" or "roughness" to get my skin really well cleaned. I know you shouldn't be too rough, but I can't find anything that works as well!

Does anyone know of a good exfoliator that is like the Proactiv one? I really dont want to pay the expensive monthly cost of Proactiv just for the exfoliator.

Try Origins Modern Friction. Awesome stuff. It's a bit expensive, but you don't need a lot and you pay $30 a month for Proactiv when you can pay $30 for Origins and it'll last longer.

Awesome, I might give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, I just got St. Ive's Apricot Scrub and it seems to work really nicely. I've only used it once so far but it was really good at scrubbing my face clean, and it gives your face a smooth feeling afterwords. I'll definitely look into your idea, but this was only $3 so if it works I'll keep using it. XD

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Don't use St. Ives. It is BAD foir your skin. Google it. I Googled "apricot scrub bad for skin" and a ton of stuff will pop up.

St. Ives is horrible. The exfoliant has uneven particles that can create micro tears in the skin causing break outs. Don't use it.

I use a homemade sugar scrub.

it calls for..

- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar (if you have sensitive skin, you may want to use brown sugar which is less abrasive)

- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil (don't use regular olive oils, it has impurities)

- 2 tbs honey

add all that into a small container and stir up. Store it at room temperature. I use it twice a week, and make sure to wet your face before using. Apply a little bit and scrub in a circular motion. Wash it off with water and you're good to go. If you have really dry skin you can use a moisturize after wards, but you don't need it since the EVOO is hydrating enough.

If you wish, you can substitute sea salt for the sugar. Sea salt has antibacterial properties, which is good for acne. DON'T use regular kosher salt (the one you put in salt shakers) it has to be sea salt, there's a difference.

Making your own scrub sounds like. Some exfoliates are jagged,which I believe why St.Ives is considered bad.It causes micro tears in your skin for bacteria to enter...or so I've heard.

I wonder if poppy seeds in honey would be more gentle?

Cleansing brushes are good,but you need to find a quality one with rounded bristles...such as thishttp://www.amazon.com/The-Skincare-Cleansing-Massage-Brush/dp/B000186X4I/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1284864692&sr=8-27

22 bucks doesn't break the budget either.Make sure to splash it with alcohol here an there to make it sanitary!

Sugar granules are too small to cut your skin, plus, most of the sugar dissolves when scrubbing if you add water to it, giving a more gentle scrub. I believe St. Ives Apricot scrub uses pieces of apricot pit, and the pieces can be quite big sometimes. Plus, the sugar scrub has honey in it which has natural healing properties, so even if the scrub were to create micro tears in the skin, the honey would heal those cuts.

Still, if you're weary about it- I'd suggest using brown sugar since it's not as "rough" as granulated sugar, not that granulated is rough. At least not for me, and that's coming from a person with sensitive skin.

St. Ives is horrible. The exfoliant has uneven particles that can create micro tears in the skin causing break outs. Don't use it.

I use a homemade sugar scrub.

it calls for..

- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar (if you have sensitive skin, you may want to use brown sugar which is less abrasive)

- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil (don't use regular olive oils, it has impurities)

- 2 tbs honey

add all that into a small container and stir up. Store it at room temperature. I use it twice a week, and make sure to wet your face before using. Apply a little bit and scrub in a circular motion. Wash it off with water and you're good to go. If you have really dry skin you can use a moisturize after wards, but you don't need it since the EVOO is hydrating enough.

If you wish, you can substitute sea salt for the sugar. Sea salt has antibacterial properties, which is good for acne. DON'T use regular kosher salt (the one you put in salt shakers) it has to be sea salt, there's a difference.

im gonna try this tonight :)

thanks for the tip.

try hydron microdermabrasion facial cleanser. it contains self-adjusting crystal beads which will not harm ur skin layer, unlike scrub which might cause over-exfloliation. my face is clean, soft n fresh after washing n it is so good to touch when i apply moisturizer. highly recommended. http://www.hydron.com/product_p/hc101.htm

Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant (I think that's what it's called) seems pretty gentle. I've only used a couple of free samples I got, so I'm not sure how it is when used regularly, but I really liked it. Dermalogica products are super expensive though.

The only mechanical exfoliant I can use is a baby's hair brush. I prefer chemical exfoliants like glycolic acid.

Wouldn't BP be an exfoliant too, if you use it without moisturizer? Since it gets your skin flaking off, wouldn't that do the same thing, basically? :ninja:

Wouldn't BP be an exfoliant too, if you use it without moisturizer? Since it gets your skin flaking off, wouldn't that do the same thing, basically? :ninja:

Sort of, but not as much as another type of chemical exfoliant because things like glycolic acid actually loosen the dead skin and help it slough off.