Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hotglue01

Is more BP always better?

Hey all,

Well, some of you may know already that I experienced a rather large breakout. It's localized mainly on my cheek/jawline border by my chin, and I'm happy to say that things are finally drying up and going away. It's been like this for about a week, and I currently have...3-4 active pimples, maybe 3 dying/dead pimples, and maybe 3-5 clogged pore things that will, with my luck, turn into pimples too before finally going away.

I do trust that BP will clear this up because the rest of my face looks and feels awesome-- smooth, with almost no PIH left (!!), but in the meantime is there ANYTHING I can do to speed up the healing of this breakout??

Hey all,

Well, some of you may know already that I experienced a rather large breakout. It's localized mainly on my cheek/jawline border by my chin, and I'm happy to say that things are finally drying up and going away. It's been like this for about a week, and I currently have...3-4 active pimples, maybe 3 dying/dead pimples, and maybe 3-5 clogged pore things that will, with my luck, turn into pimples too before finally going away.

I do trust that BP will clear this up because the rest of my face looks and feels awesome-- smooth, with almost no PIH left (!!), but in the meantime is there ANYTHING I can do to speed up the healing of this breakout??

I notice that for me, if I am EXTRA, EXTRA gentle (I mean..like when I wash, I wash for maybe 5 seconds and do it so gently I barely touch my skin) and adding a little more BP than usual (2 pumps plus a little less than another half of one) helps speed up the healing process. I'll usually get dryer skin doing this method (as I found that being a little rougher when washing gets rid of a lot of dryness), but it does work wonders for getting acne to go away a little faster than usual.

Also, if I have a breakout, I try to make sure I sleep as much as possible and without my face touching the pillow at all. Lots of sleep helps the skin to repair itself. I've actually been noticing lately that by taking an afternoon nap after my morning shower (I shower at noon right after I get off work...I work mornings), my skin's been in really nice condition, knock wood. This little bit of extra sleep, paired with the fact that I just put the regimen on and am not wearing makeup..helps my skin to repair a bit more than just getting my usual 6 hours of sleep on work days.

Advil helps with the swelling and pain associated with those big, cystic pimples. And I've actually found that taking Aleve for "those time of the month" pimples keeps them from forming! I've only tried it twice, but it worked wonders. My skin likes to break out in one cystic pimple, on my chin, every single month. In July and August, I took Aleve before I thought I'd get my usual monthly pimple and I never got one. However, because I'm so irregular with my period, it creeped up early on me this month and I never took Aleve and I got one on my chin, same exact friggen spot. There's a great thread on these forums that actually gave me the idea: here.

Besides all that..I can't think of any other way to really make the breakout go away faster. Touching and picking will definitely make it last longer, even if you feel you don't pick for that long. The slightest irritation will aggravate the pimples and cause them to stay longer than if you just kinda leave them alone and gently slather them with BP. AHA spot treating doesn't hurt either. Make sure to keep your towels, sheets, pillow cases, and hands clean. Get enough sleep and try not to let your face touch your pillow that much at night.

Good luck!

hydrocortisone cream works the best for my spot treatments. i put it on after my moisturizer has absorbed into my skin. dries it right up, and takes out a lot of the swelling and redness.

Hey guys!

Kat, as always thanks so much for your detailed response. My breakout is actually going away really fast and now I only have 2 actives and maybe, maybe 2 clogged pores left. Earlier this week I had 5 actives and 8 clogged pores! I'll definitely be gentle and add some more BP (and jojoba!) onto it to help it speed up and stay moisturized.

Bee monster, thanks for the tip! I don't know about the hydrocortisone cream though because I heard your skin gets used to it. Well, to be fair I heard it works really well for about a week before developing some kind of immunity... not sure if "immunity" is the right phrase, but either way, try to be careful!

Thanks for all your support. I'm so relieved that this breakout is going away!

Hey guys!

Kat, as always thanks so much for your detailed response. My breakout is actually going away really fast and now I only have 2 actives and maybe, maybe 2 clogged pores left. Earlier this week I had 5 actives and 8 clogged pores! I'll definitely be gentle and add some more BP (and jojoba!) onto it to help it speed up and stay moisturized.

Bee monster, thanks for the tip! I don't know about the hydrocortisone cream though because I heard your skin gets used to it. Well, to be fair I heard it works really well for about a week before developing some kind of immunity... not sure if "immunity" is the right phrase, but either way, try to be careful!

Thanks for all your support. I'm so relieved that this breakout is going away!

the immunity thing youre talking about is very true, but if you are only using it for spot treatments.. your skin doesnt have enough time to get used to it and to build up that immunity. cause our zits only last up to 4-5 days tops right? if you were still breaking out regularily and at the beginning stages of the regimen, then yes.. slathering it on your face everywhere wouldnt be a smart way to go at all. but as for us who are vertually clear, its a damn good zit zapper :)

the immunity thing youre talking about is very true, but if you are only using it for spot treatments.. your skin doesnt have enough time to get used to it and to build up that immunity. cause our zits only last up to 4-5 days tops right? if you were still breaking out regularily and at the beginning stages of the regimen, then yes.. slathering it on your face everywhere wouldnt be a smart way to go at all. but as for us who are vertually clear, its a damn good zit zapper :)

O RLY?

Cuz I happen to have this stuff lying around

Cortaid%20Advanced.jpg

It's 1% Hydrocortisone with

Inactive Ingredients:

Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Benzyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Palmitate, Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Extract, Citric Acid, CyclopentaSiloxane, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethyl MEA, Glycerin, Isopropyl Myristate, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Methylparaben, PEG 40 Stearate, Potassium Lactate, Sodium Hydroxide, Water

O RLY?

Cortaid%20Advanced.jpg

Inactive Ingredients:

Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Benzyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Palmitate, Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Extract, Citric Acid, CyclopentaSiloxane, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethyl MEA, Glycerin, Isopropyl Myristate, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Methylparaben, PEG 40 Stearate, Potassium Lactate, Sodium Hydroxide, Water

i just bought a generic brand from zellers that is .5%

what you have will do im sure. if its been kicking around for awhile id try buying a new tube of it tho. hydrocortisone DOES have an expiration date.

Guest Timehealsall

i thought hydrocortisone cream thins the skin?

Have you guys tried aha as a spot treatment? Is it good?

O RLY?

Cortaid%20Advanced.jpg

Inactive Ingredients:

The red highlighted ingredient is highly comedogenic. Cortisone cream can increase acne, increase susceptibility to infections from bacteria and fungi as well. NOT indicated for acne. It can also cause rosacea.