Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mike_wf

Negative Health Implications of Low-carb Diets

Mike, reading your posts is seriously like watching a fly trying to get outside through a closed window... banging against it over and over again... :doh:

First of all, why do you just immediately assume that being high in omega-3 and saturated fat is mutually exclusive?

Since you again demonstrate your apparent inability to research or cross-check anything yourself, I'll do it for you- more for the benefit of anyone else reading this, so as not to buy into your haphazardly-assembled logic.

Look at the seasonal fat composition of wild caribou. You are aware that most of the year, it's pretty damn cold in Alaska, correct? In order for an animal to not freeze to death, it needs insulation. Subcutaneous fat. Subcutaneous fat = monounsaturated, saturated and a little polyunsaturated fats. It's the same fatty acid makeup as lard, tallow, and even your own ass.

Wild Alaskan Caribou definitely has plenty of good, healthy saturated fat.

Oily fish, whale blubber/oil all have lots lots of omega-3s yes- also lot's of monounsaturated and still plenty of saturated fats.

I feel sorry for you that you have to resort to disrespecful behavior to try and get your point across (including your last post where you called me a name) or misrepresenting my positions. I think this just confirms that you are not capable of having an intelligent discussion with me.

"The solution to the paradox may lie in the fact that not all fat is created equal. [The Inuit] ate a lot of marine animals, like walruses and seals, whales and so forth, and the blubber of these animals is a very high source of monounsaturated fat," says Cordain. "So if you contrast the Inuit diet to the Western diet, it actually turns out to be lower in saturated fat- very high in fat, but high in healthful fat, monounsaturates and polyunsaturates, high in a specific type of polyunsaturates called omega-3 fatty acids that come from the marine food chain."

--Cordain (author of the Paleo Diet)

:doh:

The fact your failing to come to terms with clear facts even after all the evidence he has given gives pretty good reason to be annoyed IMO.

And if you do a little bit of research Cordain has admitted in many interviews that his original view of saturated fat on health was not accurate. Its been proven for a long time that saturated fat is not a bad source for health, even in high quanitites (unprocessed of course).

Cordain still calls for limiting saturated fats and believes it plays a role in heart disease. Do a little research yourself.

Interestingly, I've been doing some more reading about societies like the eskimos that paleo dieters idealize. They suffered from health conditions like arteriosclerosis and osteoporosis that indicate high meat diets are not ideal.

Now that I've learned that societies like the inuit did not have ideal diets (they suffered from arteriosclerosis and osteoporosis), I have been turning my research to other societies. Recently I have been reading about "blue zones"--the areas where the healthiest people in the world live.

Interestingly, they appear to all have a plant based diet in common. Very different from the meat oriented, low carb diet.

I think it's pretty safe to say that this discussion isn't going to go anwhere as far as the OP is concerned. For every study he quotes there's a an opposing study that refutes it. I think it boils down to researching what early humans ate, their environment and what foods were available to them. Although most people aren't eating animals fed their natural diet, I highly doubt that grain feed is the cause behind all these modern diseases because of the slightly altered makeup of fat. If we have problems consuming saturated fat why do our own bodies produce it?

Interesting news about the plant based diet. Former President Clinton is having success with the low fat vegan diet (just about the opposite of the paleo diet):

http://www.canada.com/health/Clinton+sheds...0081/story.html

The Paleo diet is mostly vegetable based, so I don't know what you have up your behind.

Edited because I was being too mean. :shrug:

Edited by CelloIsLove

eh celo, its not low fat. Like a low fat veggie diet.

@mike And how many calories did he consume. Probably a LOT less as he uses. That will result in weight loss of course.

The book's author, Prof Colin Campbell, said: "I knew that President Clinton had been sent a copy of The China Study some time ago. But then after Chelsea's wedding, I heard from another guest that he was raving about the book and telling others that this was how he'd lost weight."

IF theres one study thats complety faked/rigged etc then its the china study.

I never said it was low fat. I also see nothing wrong with the consumption of fat.

Most paleo diets should have a significant about of vegetable intake along with the meat. Meats create an acidic ash in our bodies, which contributes to bone loss and all sorts of diseases. Vegetables help offset this reaction.

I'm not saying anything anti-meat here either. It's about balance.

1. (this is perhaps more of a question than a problem). Will someone please define how this "higher risk" is measured? What are they comparing these to? If I eat a ton of red meat - then my risk of developing cancer increases by 1/3 as compared to what? What is the other 2/3? That and how is this figured in the first place? Are these scientists somehow able to determine that our cells show signs of future cell division abnormality?

2. Most articles posted was strictly talking of red meat, not meat in general. As was the second. One of the proposed ideas as to why red meat may cause colon cancer isn't the meat itself but the PRESERVATIVES in the meat - which seems a great deal more likely.

3. The one article mentioned that chicken also produced HCAs as did red meat. Chicken has yet to be "linked" with colon cancer.

3. The article about cancer among blood cells does not take into account other dietary factors and does not include information as to what kind of meat. For all we know, they could be referring to people who eat mostly hot dogs and bologna which would be more likely to cause health complications than organic grass fed beef. Actually, none of the studies take these factors into account. Nor does it account for mere chance or genetic disposition.

4. Correlation does not automatically mean causation. ie. A woman lives to be 120 yrs old. Scientists study her habits and notice that she drank a cup of carrot juice everyday for 75 years. Does that automatically suggest that drinking carrot juice daily for several years will singularly keep you alive longer? Not at all.

5. The paleo diet consists of meat, fruit, nuts and veggies. This does not mean that everyone who eats a paleo diet consumes mostly meat.

6. 1 week is not a sufficient time span to measure someone's health improvements nor degeneration. It takes longer than a week for a body to adjust to using fat for fuel. I also must mention that the body runs on glucose and if necessary, the body is able to and will convert fat and protein into glucose. The study mentioned also does not explain what TYPES of foods these people were eating. Paleo foodists may also consume fruits - which are clearly carbs. And in personal experience, my mind cleared and memory improved once I cut most of them out.

Time to bring in the heavy stuff. This study cost half a billion swedish kroner (dont now the dollar figure) and shows significantly that low carb is SAFER then low fat diet when it comes to heart disease. 50.000 women were included in the studie that lasted for 8 years. =)

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/295/6/655

This one shows that Low carb is better than low fat for diabetes type 2.

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/6/1/21

A study on acne and low carb

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/86/1/107

Parkinsn and low carb - all participants got better on the diet.

http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/64/4/728

etcetera. =)

Edited by Mr. Sweden

This month is breast cancer awareness month. In honor of this I'm going to be posting some of the red flags I've been seeing regarding low carb diets that emphasize fat and meat and breast cancer.

This article is quite interesting. It says breast cancer survivors who go on a low fat diet increase their chances of not having a recurrence. If there are any people on the board who are breast cancer survivors or who know someone who is a survivor, I hope this is useful!

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/breast...entid=100150437

The problem with these studies is that they don't relate to us. The people in the last study who they are saying "lowered their fat intake" were not eating the way we do. They were eating the way many Americans do-junk. Meat and potatoes, fast food, few veggies. So, yes, these people probably cut back on the junk and added more veggies, which is great and healthier than how they ate before, but not all that healthy in the big picture.

Paleos balance the fat and protein with veggies; lots of fiber and nutrients. Our way of eating is nothing like that of the people in the studies.

This month is breast cancer awareness month. In honor of this I'm going to be posting some of the red flags I've been seeing regarding low carb diets that emphasize fat and meat and breast cancer.

This article is quite interesting. It says breast cancer survivors who go on a low fat diet increase their chances of not having a recurrence. If there are any people on the board who are breast cancer survivors or who know someone who is a survivor, I hope this is useful!

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/breast...entid=100150437

wow msn.com reliable!!! HAve you even red GMarias treath and others. Respond to that.