Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThatAnnaGirl

Endless breakout after stopping BP?

I had clear skin on BP after several months, but having a tomato red skin that couldn't be disguised with makeup because of insane flaky and dryness just wasn't worth it. I stopped the BP about four weeks ago, and broke out in hundreds of tiny raised comedones. Some inflamed, but most not. My acne has NEVER been this bad, and it doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. I still use Acne.org cleanser, with Cetaphil lotion and Jojoba oil, cleansing gently twice a day, and my skin is no longer flaky. Too bad I have a pizza face now! Anyone else know of a solution, or have a similar story?

I had clear skin on BP after several months, but having a tomato red skin that couldn't be disguised with makeup because of insane flaky and dryness just wasn't worth it. I stopped the BP about four weeks ago, and broke out in hundreds of tiny raised comedones. Some inflamed, but most not. My acne has NEVER been this bad, and it doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. I still use Acne.org cleanser, with Cetaphil lotion and Jojoba oil, cleansing gently twice a day, and my skin is no longer flaky. Too bad I have a pizza face now! Anyone else know of a solution, or have a similar story?

Im kinda scared to quit because of this too so im taking it step by step to see what happens, Instead of just stopping maybe you shouldve tried using less bp and keep working your way down just like you worked your way up maybe your skin dosent need the full amount anymore and you could use half and have less irritation.

Im kinda scared to quit because of this too so im taking it step by step to see what happens, Instead of just stopping maybe you shouldve tried using less bp and keep working your way down just like you worked your way up maybe your skin dosent need the full amount anymore and you could use half and have less irritation.

In hindsight, yes, that probably would have been a good idea. :confused:

Hey Anna,

Let me ask you, were you using AHA every night back when you were on the Regimen? I too struggled with my skin being incredibly flaky and dry, and it turns out I was overexfoliating and that it wasn't actually because of the BP.

Anywho, I cut back on my BP a lot last month (nightly applications, not using the full amount for my face, etc etc) and the result is that I've broken out. If I were you, I'd focus on getting rid of those bumps...

Hey Anna,

Let me ask you, were you using AHA every night back when you were on the Regimen? I too struggled with my skin being incredibly flaky and dry, and it turns out I was overexfoliating and that it wasn't actually because of the BP.

Anywho, I cut back on my BP a lot last month (nightly applications, not using the full amount for my face, etc etc) and the result is that I've broken out. If I were you, I'd focus on getting rid of those bumps...

No, I wasn't using AHA. The thing is, my normal skin is not too bad. Just some very mild acne I wanted to get rid of. But the side effects of the BP were just not worth it! Now I'm wondering if this breakout is really a breakout... and if it will ever clear up to what it used to be :*(

Edited by ThatAnnaGirl

Anna, I don't know if it's too late for you to see this, but I know exactly what you're talking about. I tried to quit the bp so many times and each time I experienced these tiny pimples in what seemed like every pore so that my face looked like yours. The reason I wanted to quit was cause my skin was always dry and if I skipped a day my face would break out.

Anyway I finally realized that these breakouts were not like my acne before I started the regimen which consisted of only a few pimples. So this had to be something else, especially cause the tiny pimples were itchy. I never found out what they were but I can tell you I finally found a way out of this hellish cycle.

This is what I did: I reduced the bp to only one application a day over a period of months. Then I started to skip a day a few times a week. I did get breakouts over this time but I was just tired of the whole thing. Anyway after a long time I began to only put it on twice a week. Then once a week. And finally I stopped altogether. And the incredible thing is I still broke out with the tiny pimples but not as severe as the previous times I'd tried to stop the regimen. I waited a couple of weeks and now I only have a couple of pimples that are healing.

I had been on the regimen for more than four years and I was so sick of it. And I couldn't understand how I could still have pimples when I was almost 30. It didn't make any sense. I really appreciate Dan for trying to help out. And there was a part of my life where the regimen was necessary but the thing that bothers me is that Dan has to know about skin getting used to the regimen and the difficulty in getting off. Cause he's mentioned that every time he stops he gets these breakouts. So he should warn people and try to find an answer. It's not possible that everyone who has been on the regimen for a long time cannot get rid of their acne no matter how old they get. So I hope Dan listens to all the people who are going through this.

And Anna, I'm not sure how long your skin will be covered in spots. Cause I didn't stop like you. How long have you been off? If it takes too long to get better you might need to do what I did. I just wanted to give you and other people hope that there is a way to get off. Many times I went in search of an answer on this board and I couldn't find an answer.

Guest Timehealsall

wait i thought if you stop the regimen, your pimples will go back to exactly how they were before being on the regimen?

Also, call me crazy, but what if there is something in the products (you never know) that if you stop using it, it will make you breakout more than you ever had before going on these products?

I'm just letting you know based on my experience. As soon as I would try to stop it seemed like all my pores were covered in tiny pimples. And do some research on this site and you won't find any people whose acne cleared after a few years and were able to stop the regimen.

The thing that makes me believe the breakout after stopping regimen is not normal is cause they're itchy little pimples that I've never experienced.

wait i thought if you stop the regimen, your pimples will go back to exactly how they were before being on the regimen?

Also, call me crazy, but what if there is something in the products (you never know) that if you stop using it, it will make you breakout more than you ever had before going on these products?

I thought my acne would go back to being "normal", too. But my acne is at least twice as worse as my normal acne before starting Dan's Regimen. I figure, hey, this'll pass soon enough. It's just the initial breakout of changing your face care routine, right? Wrong. It's been over a month and my face is still covered in horrible tiny little bumps. I've ordered some Paula's BHA (2% Salicylic Acid) in hopes it will help, but without the dry, flakiness and redness of BP. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hey Anna,

I had the same problem with redness. I use proactive and the treatment and it works for me, but anyway I called their derm. hotline they have available and instead of using the BP twice a day I only use it once a day. It works for me and my face isn't red and dry anymore. Hope this helps you.

Hey Anna,

I had the same problem with redness. I use proactive and the treatment and it works for me, but anyway I called their derm. hotline they have available and instead of using the BP twice a day I only use it once a day. It works for me and my face isn't red and dry anymore. Hope this helps you.

I'm amazed Proactive works for anyone since they changed the formula but hey if it works for you then stick with it.

As for dry flaky skin, as Dan clearly states you should use a moisturizer twice daily.

Hey Anna,

I'm amazed Proactive works for anyone since they changed the formula but hey if it works for you then stick with it.

As for dry flaky skin, as Dan clearly states you should use a moisturizer twice daily.

You say this as if you think I wasn't using the moisturizer. I SLATHERED that stuff on, along with jojoba oil, and my skin still peeled like an banana.

Wow, okay, so it's been two months and still no dice. I still have comedonal acne that is 3x as bad than before I ever used BP. I really wish Dan had said something about this. >:(

Guest Timehealsall
This frightens me a lot. Is this happening to everyone after they stop or what? I'd love to know now.

holy shit, does everyone who try to go off the regimen get pimples way worse than what it was like before going on the regimen?

I mean i thought your pimples are supposed to go back to exactly how they were before going on the regimen?

Is this with all benzoyl peroxides or just Dans benzoyl peroxide?

Did you guys use jojoba oil?

This frightens me a lot. Is this happening to everyone after they stop or what? I'd love to know now.

I've heard some very similar stories.

Did you use jojoba oil while you were on the regimen?

Yes, I was. But I don't think that is causing this.

I've included a picture of what my acne looks like. This isn't my photo because I can't find the cord to my camera, but my acne looks almost EXACTLY like this, but perhaps with a few more milia-looking comedones, especially on my forehead, jawline, and cheeks.

post-120146-1285707931_thumb.jpg

Edited by ThatAnnaGirl

Guest Timehealsall

how long were you on the regimen for?

Also did you use only dans products?

how long were you on the regimen for?

Also did you use only dans products?

I was on the regimen for... hmm... about three or four months. Used it religiously without makeup and used only Dan's cleanser, BP, and moisturizer.

In my experience, anytime I've used an effective acne treatment then stopped it, my acne has flared and returned. This has been true with many different acne meds. Remember that there is no cure for acne, so if you are using something that works and you stop using it your acne is very likely to come back.

For people who are wanting to come off their acne meds, I would recommend a very gradual approach rather than cold turkey. Perhaps just use the medication once daily for awhile and see how your skin does. If you are able to stay clear on once daily, then you can decide later on if you want to just stick with that amount or if you want to go ahead and continue getting off. If you decide to continue getting off, I would just gradually decrease the amount for several weeks until finally off. I think the skin will have an easier time adjusting this way.

This happened to me too, I went off sort of cold turkey and I broke out worse than ever before.... It does get better though, with time it should go back to normal as long as you are gentle with your skin.

Have you tried changing your diet to clear your skin? If your acne is really mild in the first place, diet might help.

Just wanted to let everyone know that my skin DID eventually clear up and go back to the way it was before the Regimen. I agree that if you are stopping, slow down GRADUALLY, not cold turkey, like I did.

I am currently back on the DK Regimen, because it cleared my skin so well, but I am starting sloooowly, and not going up to the full dosage. It was too much for my skin. Anyway, flaking is annoying but minimal, and I had a day or two of a slight red "mask" (you could see where I stopped applying BP on my neck) but other than that, it's all good. Don't let this scare you off going on the Regimen, just be sensitive to what YOUR skin needs. Everybody is different.

Guest Timehealsall

hey what cleanser are you using with the regimen

Just wanted to let everyone know that my skin DID eventually clear up and go back to the way it was before the Regimen. I agree that if you are stopping, slow down GRADUALLY, not cold turkey, like I did.

I am currently back on the DK Regimen, because it cleared my skin so well, but I am starting sloooowly, and not going up to the full dosage. It was too much for my skin. Anyway, flaking is annoying but minimal, and I had a day or two of a slight red "mask" (you could see where I stopped applying BP on my neck) but other than that, it's all good. Don't let this scare you off going on the Regimen, just be sensitive to what YOUR skin needs. Everybody is different.

how much Dan paid you for posting this :D

Edited by vartoooza

how much Dan paid you for posting this :D

Bahahaha, I know. It sounds like I'm being blackmailed, right? But it's true... I'm posting before and after pics, the regimen has worked really well for me! :)

hey what cleanser are you using with the regimen

I use Clearasil cleanser and moisturizer, with Dan's BP.