Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Come Home

Detox Breakout/Purging?

Last week I performed a 3-day apple fast,liver and colon flush as per one of the established regimens on defeating acne. Everything went fine and I was super disciplined the whole way through the detox...And I'm now on a pretty paleo-ish diet to try and find out if any one food is triggering my acne. I really hope that this along with taking some essential vitamins will clear my acne.(I'm usually somewhere between mild-moderate but it's damn persistent :think: )

Thing is my face has broken out like crazy in the last week and a half. Places that I never ever got acne are now littered with spots. Mainly around my forehead and the top of my cheeks just under my eyes. Moreover, it's not the type of acne I usually get. It's mainly little bumps under the skin,blemishes, whiteheads and blackheads rather then standard inflamed spots that that a couple of days to come to the surface.This is all pretty disheartening.I hope it's just a case of things getting worse before they get better.

On the plus side places on my body that regularly broke out(shoulders,neck,chest,jawline) have been free from breakouts for over a week now.

Are all these new acnefied hotspots just my skin purging itself of toxins or something else? Anyone have similar experiences?

:dance: I like to finish on a positive note...

Last week I performed a 3-day apple fast,liver and colon flush as per one of the established regimens on defeating acne. Everything went fine and I was super disciplined the whole way through the detox...And I'm now on a pretty paleo-ish diet to try and find out if any one food is triggering my acne. I really hope that this along with taking some essential vitamins will clear my acne.(I'm usually somewhere between mild-moderate but it's damn persistent :think: )

Thing is my face has broken out like crazy in the last week and a half. Places that I never ever got acne are now littered with spots. Mainly around my forehead and the top of my cheeks just under my eyes. Moreover, it's not the type of acne I usually get. It's mainly little bumps under the skin,blemishes, whiteheads and blackheads rather then standard inflamed spots that that a couple of days to come to the surface.This is all pretty disheartening.I hope it's just a case of things getting worse before they get better.

On the plus side places on my body that regularly broke out(shoulders,neck,chest,jawline) have been free from breakouts for over a week now.

Are all these new acnefied hotspots just my skin purging itself of toxins or something else? Anyone have similar experiences?

:dance: I like to finish on a positive note...

I'd like to say your diet is just helping you detox, and it probably is, but I really think that apple fast is the main culprit. That much sugar for three days in a row is terrible and would have sent your hormones all out of whack as your insulin skyrockets. The high fructose is also very hard on your liver, which when overtaxed, will tell your body to send hormones, toxins and by-products of metabolism to your skin to be excreted (hence acne).

Either way, I'd stick to the paleo. If it was the apple fast, the paleo is the best for normalizing hormones and insulin as well as getting plenty of nutrients to heal existing acne. If it's an initial cleansing, then it should subside sooner or later (hopefully sooner!).

What you said makes total sense. I was really desperate for ways to help beat acne without any topicals/antibiotics that I was willing to try anything.

I'm just going to continue with the paleo diet which is no big deal to me because I love cooking and have been enjoying learning lots of new recipes.

Thank you. :)

I love fasts and ofcoarse it is a detox. your body is getting rid of toxins.

I hope so. I'm working harder and being more disciplined than ever just to get clear skin and in turn my skin is close to the worst it's ever been..The irony makes me laugh :)

I'm going to keep at it though!

I hope so. I'm working harder and being more disciplined than ever just to get clear skin and in turn my skin is close to the worst it's ever been..The irony makes me laugh :)

It always get's worse before it gets better. trust me. I went through 2 months of rashes and breakouts all over my face and even on my body from detoxing. Even on my foot. At the end, when the detoxing stops you will have clear skin. It happened with me whne i turned raw vegan, but basically w/ any new change in a diet toward a more pure diet, you will have a detox. Raw vegan just has the worst detox IMO. I don't think your is going to be as bad as mine was.

It always get's worse before it gets better. trust me. I went through 2 months of rashes and breakouts all over my face and even on my body from detoxing. Even on my foot. At the end, when the detoxing stops you will have clear skin. It happened with me whne i turned raw vegan, but basically w/ any new change in a diet toward a more pure diet, you will have a detox. Raw vegan just has the worst detox IMO. I don't think your is going to be as bad as mine was.

Did you use any topicals to get rid of the breakouts? I quit cold turkey from any topicals a while ago because I didn't want my skin to become dependent on them... But yeah, it is really tempting to use some spot treatment or something now..

Thank you so much for all your help though, it means a lot!

What you said makes total sense. I was really desperate for ways to help beat acne without any topicals/antibiotics that I was willing to try anything.

I'm just going to continue with the paleo diet which is no big deal to me because I love cooking and have been enjoying learning lots of new recipes.

Thank you. :)

Welcome :)

I know the feeling. A few years back, I tried a {mostly} apple (and some other fruits), oatmeal, and chicken breast diet for a few months. Basically what the USDA said was best- Worst mistake of my life...new acne, rashes, liver crapped out, candida etc etc.

Also, you said you were contemplating a spot treatment. May I recommend "Unique E natural vitamin E oil". It's perfect cuz it comes in a little pump, and your skin can't become dependent on it since some is always in your body/bloodstream. Also, since your body absorbs 70% of what you apply, this could only help you! There are other things you can try too, like lemon (diluted maybe?), baking soda, coconut oil, oregano oil, sea salt, epsom salt and more. I've tried them all and they all worked to some degree- but I swear by the vitamin E oil now. Good Luck!!!

Edited by ryudoadema

Did you use any topicals to get rid of the breakouts? I quit cold turkey from any topicals a while ago because I didn't want my skin to become dependent on them... But yeah, it is really tempting to use some spot treatment or something now..

Thank you so much for all your help though, it means a lot!

Your welcome. And yes, when I turned raw vegan I threw away every beauty product I had in my entire house, anything that contained a chemical, I threw away. Exept my makeup.

Now I am in the proccess of getting rid of all my makeup and never wear it ever again.

I've worn makeup only 4 times in 2 years. And i caked it on from 8th grade to 11th grade. Anything you put on your skin will get absorbed into your bloodstream, and it causes aging and big pores when you get older. My teacher is 60 years old and he doesn't have any skin problems, he doesnt even have wrinkles..i think its because he doesn't put topicals on his skin. This 45 year old teacher i think, wears makeup and applys topicals, goes tanning, and her skin looks terrible.

I shouldn't be comparing my teachers but it gets to the point :)

It's great to get rid of as much toxins as you can early in life and detox your body while your young, cause when you get older it will be much harder.