Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chikyuu

Lack of acne sufferers in the media

Has anyone else noticed this? In tv shows and in movies most of the "good guys" or main characters usually have fit bodies, but at least somewhere in the mix there are instances of overweight, short, and old people in the media. But you never see acne in the media! You never see anyone with a broken out face, or any kind of satire about it like you do with, say, overweight people.

If you do, it's one of those stupid instances in a kid or teen show where someone gets A, ONE, pimple, ONCE in a while.

Which isn't even realistic in today's society, don't you think? MANY teenagers suffer with acne, heck they even associate acne with teenagers. So what's this ridiculous image of teenagers in the media not getting acne unless they're giant nerds with light sabers or elf ears or braces?

It's kind of ridiculous.

They always cast the nerd guy on the teen shows with a face full of acne, aswell as glasses.. ah steriotypes.

I think for most people acne is a private struggle that most are embarrassed to speak about publicly. Just look at the scrutiny that those with noticeable acne have gone through. The best example is probably Cameron Diaz, photographers try there best to capture her at her worst (probably on a daily basis), could you imagine living like that. I know that if I knew that my picture was going to be plastered all over the internet and magazines Id make sure I was constantly “made-upâ€.

I think for most people acne is a private struggle that most are embarrassed to speak about publicly. Just look at the scrutiny that those with noticeable acne have gone through. The best example is probably Cameron Diaz, photographers try there best to capture her at her worst (probably on a daily basis), could you imagine living like that. I know that if I knew that my picture was going to be plastered all over the internet and magazines Id make sure I was constantly “made-up”.

Cameron Diaz is a great example of a celebrity who has acne, but it also kinda irks me that she denies she has it or won't talk about it. Justin Timberlake has acne as well. He was on Accutane. Brad Pitt has pitted scars from acne. There are many celebs and people in the media who have acne, but they have this "reputation" to live up to where they HAVE to look a certain way so they cake on tons of makeup to hide their flaws. It would be nice to see celebs admit they have acne. And no, I don't mean the ones getting PAID to do Proactive commercials. I mean the ones who REALLY have acne.

I think for most people acne is a private struggle that most are embarrassed to speak about publicly. Just look at the scrutiny that those with noticeable acne have gone through. The best example is probably Cameron Diaz, photographers try there best to capture her at her worst (probably on a daily basis), could you imagine living like that. I know that if I knew that my picture was going to be plastered all over the internet and magazines Id make sure I was constantly “made-up”.

Cameron Diaz is a great example of a celebrity who has acne, but it also kinda irks me that she denies she has it or won't talk about it. Justin Timberlake has acne as well. He was on Accutane. Brad Pitt has pitted scars from acne. There are many celebs and people in the media who have acne, but they have this "reputation" to live up to where they HAVE to look a certain way so they cake on tons of makeup to hide their flaws. It would be nice to see celebs admit they have acne. And no, I don't mean the ones getting PAID to do Proactive commercials. I mean the ones who REALLY have acne.

I think you miss understood my point. Most of us are ashamed by our acne and prefer to hide behind makeup. Why wouldn’t celebrities feel the same way. Would you speak publicly about your acne or scars? I know I wouldn’t, I’m not making excuses for them but just because there career choice involves being in front of the camera doesn’t mean they have to talk publicly about anything they don’t want to.

Could you imagine you were in the middle of your working day or in college and some one said “so I see you have acne/scaring, how do you deal with it? Tell us all about it!!!!” :redface:

I think you miss understood my point. Most of us are ashamed by our acne and prefer to hide behind makeup. Why wouldn’t celebrities feel the same way. Would you speak publicly about your acne or scars? I know I wouldn’t, I’m not making excuses for them but just because there career choice involves being in front of the camera doesn’t mean they have to talk publicly about anything they don’t want to.

Could you imagine you were in the middle of your working day or in college and some one said “so I see you have acne/scaring, how do you deal with it? Tell us all about it!!!!” :redface:

I understand where you're coming from. I'm just basically saying that so many people use celebs as role models for what they want to look like or whatever and they sometimes forget they are still human and still get acne just like regular people like us. It would just be nice to see more of them admit it, ya know. I understand why they don't.

I agree with you. It's never really brought up realistically in tv or the movies. There's always that one episode of a T.V. series where one of the characters gets a zit and the entire episode revolves around that and how it's the end of the world. I'd like to see a massive breakout instead, at least then there'd be something to worry about.

If anyone has seen the television show Veronica Mars, one of the actors had injured his knee somehow. He was prescribed steroids and due to that put on weight and was broken out horribly. And I don't mean those tiny, mini pimples you see on pre-teen faces but massive bumps. I'm sure they were cysts. Anyway, the point of all this is, I can remember watching him in that show when he had his bad skin. He wasn't a geek on the show, he was actually apart of a motorcycle gang and was one of the main characters in the show.

Anyway, seeing an actor with bad skin like that, I empathized with him. I wondered how awful it must feel to go into hair and makeup everyday and have someone else cover up your face so you looked "tv ready." That was the first and only time I've ever seen someone in tv with really bad skin.