Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duchamp

Your experience STARTING the paleo diet?

I've been paleo for a little over a week, and the first few days were pretty good - I felt I had a lot more energy than usual and didn't really feel tired at all.

Lately though I've been as lethargic as ever. I need more sleep and feel tired all day. I'm also having difficulty concentrating; reading has become a chore.

This is probably normal at the beginning, right? When do things even out, and when do I stop feeling so exhausted and run down?

How did you feel upon starting the paleo diet? Any advice on how to minimize tiredness and boost alertness? At this point I kinda just want to sleep all day and hibernate. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that I'm naturally underweight; I don't think I have much stored fat to burn off.

Edited by duchamp

Make sure you are eating enough, first and foremost. Lots of people lose weight quickly on paleo since grains are such a significant part of most peoples' diets that cutting them causes a huge drop in calories consumed. Add some more fat, which brings me to my next point. Make sure you are eating a lot of fat and not tons of fruit. Meat, fat, and veggies should make up the majority of your diet. Finally, it is quite normal to feel lethargic in the beginningif you are eating rather low-carb, high-fat. You'll get used to it, just give it some time for your body to adjust

Edited by shroper

I lost weight, just a few kilos, and I'm still weighing the same more than 6 months later. Seems to be my "natural" weight if you ignore the fact I don't get the kind of excercise I naturally would if I was living like humans are supposed to.

First week(s?) I had lots of headaches, and extreme cravings. One of the first things I noticed was I didn't really need to (but I still do if anyone cares) wipe my ass after taking a shit anymore. I've heard the same from other people. It's really cool!

I suggest you spend way more money on food than you really want to in the beginning just to make sure you always have something nice around to eat in order to avoid cheat meals.

Edited by dirtbomb

I started about a month ago and I'm just now starting to feel energetic again. I lost about 3 pounds which I know comes mostly from what little fat stores I had because my abs are showing a lot more. At first I had trouble getting enough calories so I experimented with adding more fat and now now following the primal blueprint diet instead of Cordain's original paleo diet. That stopped the weight loss and my energy slowly returned.

My skin's at the best it's been in years so I have high hopes. No active lesions right now, just a lot of the old ones slowly healing.

It might be worth noting that I switched from a Mcdougall/Fuhrman type of vegan diet, so I was mostly eating rice beans vegetables and fruits, which represented about 70% of calories from carbs, which might have made the initial switch way worse in my case. The first 3 weeks all I could do was lie on the couch until bedtime after work.

Edited by CharlesV

Are you still vegan Charles? If so let me know how eating vegan paleo is working out for you. My paleo diet is basically "vegetarian" right now (I eat eggs) but that's only because I can't find any other decent animal products in the store. It's all really nasty stuff.

Sounds like carb withdrawl =]

I felt like that at first too, really great for a few days and then suddenly like crap. It went away after a few days but I'm sure it can last longer since we're all different. Also I was eating a lot less food at first and that's a big contributor too. I remember wanting to eat two steaks instead of one because I wasn't filling up on mashed potatoes or rice. This was weird and I felt like a pig so at first I wouldn't give in to my hunger. Then I realized as long as I'm eating good food I should just eat until I'm satisfied.

Are you still vegan Charles? If so let me know how eating vegan paleo is working out for you. My paleo diet is basically "vegetarian" right now (I eat eggs) but that's only because I can't find any other decent animal products in the store. It's all really nasty stuff.

No, I gave up on veganism because it just didn't work for me. Not in the sense that I was missing nutrients or any of that, my acne did not improve one bit no matter which approach I took. I have no issue with making the switch for the sake of experimentation because animal rights issues were never part of the reasons why I was vegan. I've been buying grass fed eggs and the same 3-4 cuts of organic meat they sell at my local grocery store because I couldn't find any grass fed meat suppliers in the Montreal region, but that just changed so hopefully I'll be enjoying a lot more variety once my order comes in.

Make sure you are eating enough and just get through the first 3-4 weeks. Again, it's really important that you eat enough. Protein and fats are more satiating than carbs, so you might be under-eating.

If your previous diet was high in carbs (any, not just refined) then you switch to paleo which could have half the carbs, then its exactly what you should expect. If you dont want to be lethargic to begine with you need to slowly taper down the carbs instead of dropping a load in a day.

For some people its a week, but it can take upto a month or more before you stop being tired and lethargic, just ride it out.

I have an iron will! Not really, but I actually haven't had too much difficulty cutting out carbs; I would mostly eat them as filler to get full faster.

And thank you everybody for the advice - from what you've said, it's normal to feel this way, and I *do* think I'm not getting enough calories (or fats), because as you said, a bunch of them used to come pre-packaged for me as bread or rice.

Did any of you maintain an exercise regimen while starting paleo? I've been doing between 15-30 minutes of cardio daily (for stress relief and to maintain general health), and was wondering if this was contributing to the exhaustion. I think one poster suggested I just stay sedentary until my body adjusts, but I don't think this is an option for me; I get high-strung and irritable without exercise.

Any advice on how to minimize tiredness and boost alertness? At this point I kinda just want to sleep all day and hibernate.

Make sure you don't sleep all day. That doesn't help. Get up and go outside into the light. Take a walk. You don't have to feel energetic to go for a walk. And you'll probably feel better for doing it.

Edited by alternativista

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY

screw this diet! we are not in paleo (in kanzas) anymore u funny ppl! we are not monkey in cave. idk how u think but this shit sucks, i hate it! :mad: ish like blood type diet right? & i despise blood type diet (that shit tells me, teh vegetarian, that im carnivore, must eat meat n fish, the fck? plus that i cant eat my favorite ever food, and all that just pisses me off, which is not very healthy so i ditch this damn thing!), anyways i def refuse to go on some diet that is for some stupid apes :sick: ..who were very btw ugly and lived too short anyways :doh:

screw this diet! we are not in paleo (in kanzas) anymore u funny ppl! we are not monkey in cave. idk how u think but this shit sucks, i hate it! :mad: ish like blood type diet right? & i despise blood type diet (that shit tells me, teh vegetarian, that im carnivore, must eat meat n fish, the fck? plus that i cant eat my favorite ever food, and all that just pisses me off, which is not very healthy so i ditch this damn thing!), anyways i def refuse to go on some diet that is for some stupid apes :sick: ..who were very btw ugly and lived too short anyways :doh:

LololOloLol!

?

:lol:

I've been on the paleo/candida diet (same thing just without fruit and high carb veggies) for two months now. The first month I had A LOT of die off symptoms... meaning the yeast/candida is dyin!! And it caused me tooooo be tired, sick, vomit, have head pains, cryyyyy and feel depressed... Emotions are a form of detox too.

So yeah... it's pretty normal to feel like crap for the first little while.

The dissapointing thing about being on this diet HARD CORE for two months is that my skin has not cleared up. Unfortunately I detox through my skin and now that I'm eating super healthy my body is healing and detoxing and making me breakout. There is NO short cut to perfect skin people... no matter what you do it will take time.

Good luck to you all :).

tdot, took me about 5 months to get results from paleo.

fugleee, I understand you're a racist with acne and that makes you aggressive, but that doesn't mean I have more tolerance for bullshit comments like yours above.

Edited by dirtbomb

The diet is not for "some stupid apes", it mimics what humans would eat in the wild.

Hmm. It took me less than 2 months to have clear skin just by cutting back on refined carbs and eating more nutrient dense foods. I was just beginning to make changes and my skin cleared. And I did this after reading many posts from Atkins dieters saying their skin cleared when they started the lower GI diet habits.

Because of this, I find it hard to believe so many of you have to follow such strict diets to get results. I know some need to be more strict than others, but I see few people here posting stories similar to mine. Are you considering your lifestyle habits too? And food intolerances?

Hmm. It took me less than 2 months to have clear skin just by cutting back on refined carbs and eating more nutrient dense foods. I was just beginning to make changes and my skin cleared. And I did this after reading many posts from Atkins dieters saying their skin cleared when they started the lower GI diet habits.

Because of this, I find it hard to believe so many of you have to follow such strict diets to get results. I know some need to be more strict than others, but I see few people here posting stories similar to mine. Are you considering your lifestyle habits too? And food intolerances?

I would strongly recommend people do an intolerance test, I have a picture of my results card in one of my galleries. It does help to identify certain foodstuffs that can be affecting you. For instance, for a short period of time I ate Quinoa thinking it was a healthy alternative, turned out for me, it wasn´t.

I'm on Bee's Candida Diet Alterna.... you should look it up. Bee says that it takes equal the amount of months to years you have been unhealthy to get better by being on her diet. Meaning if you have been unhealthy for 10 yearrs, it takes ten months to heal. BUt she also says that pretty much everyone has been uunhealthy since before birth because of what our parents ate.... so she thinks I need to be on this diet for like 24 months!! UGH...Her diet consists of like 70% good fats, 25% proteins and like 5% carbs. All meats are good, only low carb veggies (no potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes etc...), NO fruit, NO grains, NO dairy. Yeah it's HARDCORE and I've been hoardcore for two months and 10 days.... NO CHEATING AT ALL. And yes it is frustrating that my skin's condition has not miraculously changed... it's still the same pimpley oil slick it's been for months. When I eat any kind of fat/oil it comes right through my skin :(. But Bee says that two months is NOTHING.... and that it could takes months and months before I get clear, because my body is healing itself and detoxing all that time.

She doesnt believe in liver cleanses but I think I'm goign to do one anyway... I want my body to be able to get rid of toxins through my liver instead of my skin.... and I'm thinking maybe its congested right now.

HOWEVER PANIC is a member here who cleared his skin after two months of being on Bee's diet... so who knows!!

Oh somethign I'm happy about being on this though: I've gained 5 pounds (very good thing for me)! And my candida seems to be under control... PLUS I have learned SOOOO much and have taught my body not to crave carbs. I feel satisfied sitting down to a huge juicey steak with veggies on the side... this never use to satisfy me.

What do you think of all this??

Edited by tdot

I would strongly recommend people do an intolerance test, I have a picture of my results card in one of my galleries. It does help to identify certain foodstuffs that can be affecting you. For instance, for a short period of time I ate Quinoa thinking it was a healthy alternative, turned out for me, it wasn´t.

And other specific health issues that need to be addressed with diet and lifestyle habits. Fortunately, the same basic habits help with just about everything. You need a blood sugar stabilizing, nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory diet habits that don't include anything you have an intolerance for.

And you need as natural as possible circadian cycle of sleep and light and dark exposure. And to be physically active daily. This does not mean intense hour long workouts a few times a week while spending the rest of your time avoiding any walking, stairs or physical labor. It means moving around frequently and daily. If you believe in following the paleo diet, you should also believe in mimicking the sleep and type of physical activity as well.

Edited by alternativista

I'm on Bee's Candida Diet Alterna.... you should look it up. ...

What do you think of all this??

Yeah. Looked it up years a go. I'm not a buyer. If I were you, I'd consider other things like food intolerances, lifestyle habits and if you are still somehow eating insulin spiking meals. Check out the insulin index.

And maybe try coconut oil for candida.

Edited by alternativista

If you believe in following the paleo diet, you should also believe in mimicking the sleep and type of physical activity as well.

If I am not mistaken she is following Bee's anti-candida diet. Just to point something out, paleo diet is not about macro-nutrient distribution but rather about food quality. In fact, your average paleolithic hunter-gatherer consumed 20-30% of his calories from carbs (moderate carb).