Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
starcatcher100

blue light treatments

My derm. suggested that I use blue light treatment for my acne, which she raved about. I did read some other post about this, but I was wondering if it is worth all the money??? If you have any input, good or bad, please post. Thanks!

hey starcatcher, im actually doing the blue light treatments as we speak, w/ the blu-u unit..had my last one yesterday (August 11). i had a really bad breakout recently cause im getting over mono and my immunes down, so im still dealing with it, and so far the blue light hasnt really done much for that i dont think, altho its been healing up a bit. im doing 8 treatments over four weeks (2/week)..so its too early to tell whether or not its gonna work. as for my skin, i have moderate acne on my cheeks and chin, and upper lip (SO gross lol)...so thats my situation. i dunno how much i trust this treatment..of course, its not gonna cause breakouts (i dont think) and it has no negative side effects...but its expensive, and its relatively new. of course, the derms and docs are gonna show u crazie testimonials and stuff of people who've had excellent results, but yea, i think thats more to make u more inclined to spend money, not as an estimate of typical results. yes, im skeptical and cynical about it, but im giving it a try, so if youre still considering it, id be happy to let you know how it goes.

Please let me know how the treatment ends up working for you! I actually just completed my first treatment today. I am doing one treatment every two weeks, four times total, and it is very expensive and my insurance doesn't cover it. I have mild acne, but I have the cystic acne that I get on my chin and jaw line, and some smaller ones on my forehead. So far nothing has worked (antibiotics and topical creams), so this is my last resort because I do not want to go on accutane. The only side effects I have so far from the blue light (I got it done with the levulan) is extreme redness and burning, think of a bad sunburn. Other than that, I am not complaining. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!

From my research blue light is effective at killing the p-acnes (baceria) on your face that in part causes acne, however if you want the skin to heal too, then you need to do blue-red light therapy. I havent tried it, but i want it, i just dont know anywhere in the UK that does it!

But blue therapy on its own is a bit a hit and miss (as is all laser therapy at the moment...it might work for you might not...dont forget they've only been using it to treat acne for 2 or three years and in the scale of technological development that is a pin-prick in time for science). I would try blue-red light therapy if you can, it will be more effective at killing and healing your skin, reducing inflammation is what the red bit does. However there are so many causes for acne that light therapy might not be appropriate for you. Give it a try and if you find a blue-red therapy in the UK at resonable cost....TELL ME!!!!

i used N lite treatment which was for scars and acne, it promised to rid me of the acne and help scaring. £1200 later acne still present, scarring minimaly better. i also get it on my cheeks chin and lips, why dont we get them on our forehead???

oh and for anyone that hasnt done it yet it bloody hurts when they go over your top lip due to there being so many nerves. didnt work for me, mite work for you.

I have mild/moderate acne, and I just finished the blue light treatment. From my point of view, I think it was a waste of time and money. If there was any improvement, it was VERY slight. Although, I have heard alot of success stories about it, so I don't want to be the one to steer you away of your possible cure smile.gif. Best wishes whatever you choose tongue.gif.

That sucks that it didn't work for you. So far I have heard more people say that it hasn't worked than has, and that worries me. I am still hopeful! Also supposively, the blue light treatments will help get rid of scars (yay!), which I need. I will be sure to keep everyone posted on how the treatments are working (or even not working!). Good luck to all!

hey starcatcher, just an update. i've finished three blu-u treatments thus far (fourth one tomorrow) and so far, no response. ive had this ridiculous continuing breakout on my cheeks thats driving me crazie. but anyways, we'll see how it goes. after the blue light, im gonna try the LHE system, and im also switching birth control pills, to Diane-35 instead of Orthotricyclen, which hasnt done all that much. i didnt know you were getting the blue light done with the levulan! i have NOT been having that, just the light itself. i plan on trying that after the LHE treatments. how have you found it?? and hows the recovery been? apparently it takes a couple weeks for full healing and whatnot. im curious to see how its going for you, and best of luck!

Punkrockprincess-

I am doing the blue light with levulan, but no more!!! I got my first treatment on wednesday(9am), and about 5pm my face started itching and burning (I was out at the mall). So I immediately left, and when I looked into the mirror in the car, my face was bright red!!!!! Like a really really bad sunburn, but the worst part is that the levulan is applied by a wand thingy so the redness was streaky (I had lines on my face) and my chin area was the worst (my derm applied more there because that is where my problem area is). It actually stung so bad that I had to rub ice cubes on my face to numb it. There was no way any sort of make up could cover this mess up! Then the next day, it didn't sting as bad, but it was still extremely red. Friday, my chin and mouth area got really tight and everytime I open my mouth I could feel the skin crack, and it still looked horrible. I refused to go out in public!! Saturday, it started peeling, but not normal peeling, but rather huge nasty chunks and the skin underneath was red and raw. Sunday, it was finally looking better, not too red (more of a brown color) but still lots of peeling but finer peeling. Today, still can see the streaks and peeling, but can cover up a little with makeup. Of course my derm gave me a ton of cream, and I ran out of it on saturday, haha. I didn't go out in public till today (thank goodness for the hurricane coming right at us, so work was cancelled and electric out so I didn't have to go anywhere). After this experience I called my derm, and told her I refuse to go through this again (it's almost a week later and still looks bad). She recommended that I just do the blue light with out the levulan, but I am not sure. So if you think you could handle a week of being completely horrified to go out in public because of your face, then I would recommended, otherwise, no. Thanks for your input!!

Starcatcher, wow, im sorry to hear about your experience w/ the levulan and blue light, that must have been really hard to put up with for a week+. but try not to worry too much, its all up from here. but didnt your derm tell you not to go outside for 48h after your treatment? im asking this cause ive inquired about the procedure at the laser clinic where i go for my blue light treatments, and they gave me an information sheet on it. on the sheet, they strictly advise to stay indoors for 48 hours after your treatment, because some of the levulan stays absorbed in your pores and isnt "acted upon" if you will by the blue light. and levulan is a photosensitizing agent (makes the acne more sensitive and receptive to the blue light, thats why they apply it, so the bacteria should in theory be killed much more effectively) so when you go outside, it makes you SO much more sensitive to the sun. the dr. there actually told me that even after five minutes of sun exposure, my face would be extremely red, and i think thats what you experienced, right? im not sure how much sun exposure you got, but you said you were out at the mall later that day, so, *if* you were out and about, it may have been that which contributed to the extra redness, burning sensation, and peeling. of course, i believe some of these side effects are expected with the procedure, but i dont think they should have been as dramatic as that. so anyways, im curious to kno if your derm told you anything about this. other than that, thanx a mil for the update, im definitly more hesitant now to try the levulan than i was before, and ill treat it with much more caution. i hope things improve for you, and im sure they will over the next couple of days, so let me know how your recovery goes! also, i just finished my fourth blue light treatment yesterday (monday) and will go for my fifth tomorrow. at this point, i believe im actually seeing progress. upon starting the treatments, i was breaking out pretty badly after about a year of my skin being fairly decent. however, at this point the inflammation has really subsided, at least i have no active spots, just the remanents of the breakout (yea, lovely little marks and dead spots=P, im sure you know how it is). so hopefully this can be maintained. maybe youll want to try the blue light by itself as well and see how it goes for you. additionally, the clinic i go to often does microdermabrasion along with the blue light treatments. did you have this done before your derm applied the levulan? i havnt gotten one yet myself because they said that my skin was much too inflamed at first. however, i believe i should soon be ready for one, so ill let you know how that goes as well. alrite, thanx again for the update, best of luck for your recovery, and keep me posted as to how its going!

My derm did tell me not to go out in the sun or be under flurescent lights for 72 hours, because of the levulan. I was out and about, but inside, the only time I was outside was walking to my car and back. That probably did attribute to it, but I live in Florida, I cannot totally avoid sunlight but I did the best that I could. I did not get a microdermabrasion before, but I have been considering one. I am still debating whether I am going to do just the blue light, but my derm told me it will not have the side effects like I got with the levulan. I am glad to hear that it is starting to work for you, even if just a little, because that is encouraging. I wouldn't totally discourage you from the levulan because surprisingly after all the peeling, my skin is clear..for now, hahaha. So if the side effects are worth the outcome, I would say go for it. I will keep you posted on how it going and if I just do the blue light treatment. Keep me updated on how it is working for you! Good luck!!!

oohh, okay so your derm did tell you. youre right, its impossible to totally avoid the sun, but you were careful, so i doubt then that it made it much worse. i guess those are just the side effects, haha. but its really nice to hear that youre clear after all that peeling! thats awesome, and gives me some hope for that particular treatment. just a few questions: you werent abraded at all, were you? because you said that the peeling was pretty bad at first, with raw skin being exposed. how did that heal? i kno personally ive had experience with glycolic peels, and i "accidently" spot treated a spot or two with BP the day before the peel, and as a result i got small abrasions in those spots (oops, haha), and it took awhile for them to heal, not to mention the darker pigment they left for a bit. they do fade, but yea, its a nuisance. so im curious to know how your skin tone is looking after all your peeling and other healing. another question: did it improve any red/brown marks from previous blemishes at all? apparently its supposed to, lol but ya never know. sorry for all the questions, and thanx a mil for your help!

The raw spots are still kinda pink but can be covered up with makeup, and I still have some darker streaky spots that I have had since last week, but are slowly but surely fading (again, can be kinda covered with makeup). Yes my face is still clear, but my scars have not lightened up, but then again it has only been one treatment. I have decided to do just the blue light treatments for now on, did you have any side effects like I did with out the levulan??? Thanks!

My Derm wants me to do Blue-U treats in conjunction with topical differin, clindamycin and oral doxycycline, and oral tetracycline. He says the spectrum of light will NOT have the UV effect of sunlight. Use this light as a supportive measure in conjunction with antibiotics. That is how it will work best. I do not believe P.Acnes can be soley cared for 100% without aggressive multi-faceted treatment levels. Lights, Creams, Pills.....Equal success..For me anyway..

Smoothbeamin... cool.gif

starcatcher: good to hear its getting better, apparently healing time is 3 weeks or so right? its kinda a long time, but im sure by the end of it things will be looking better. as for the blue light on its own, no side effects whatsoever. basically, you side inside the apparatus for 16 minutes, and get out and everything appears to be the same as it was before, no burning, redness, itchiness, irritation. i just had my fifth treatment today, and my inflammation is down considerably. i did break out during the course, but the breakouts got taken care of pretty quickly. now im jus sorta left with the residual marks and such, and im hoping that the worst is over, haha.

smoothbeamin: id say give the blue light a try, for me personally my inflammation is definitly down. i *did* start using benzamycin topical soon into the treatments, so that probably helped as well, its definitly dried me out, altho im off it now because it was too irritating. the stuffs good, if u can tolerate it. instead of the benzamycin im gonna be using an erythromycin-bp preparation with a lower percentage of bp (4% solugel + 4% eryth.) so that im not crazily irritated. i agree with you that this thing needs to be attacked with various "weapons" if you will. however at this point, im recovering from mono, so oral antibiotics arent happening. anyways, from my experience, id say add the blue light to your treatment if youre able.

good luck to both of you!

Im not too sure what my treatment was, it could have been blue light treatment. (i was made to stand in a vertical sunbed type thing)

anyways, i found the treatment to be very good but it was very drying on my skin. After a while on the treatment i started to get a kinda tan and my skin became very scaly. It was literally peeling off so i coated my entire face in vasaline to ease the dryness. The vasaline actually softened my skin and it completely peeled off (simalar to a snake) and fresh skin was left underneath. I was so happy!!!! but unfortunetly my acne came back as i assume whatever bacteria's and oils or whatnot were still in my body. I couldnt continue my light treatment as there is a quota as to how long you are allowed to do it for.

I did the Blu u/levulan treatment yesterday. Of course my face looks like a bad sunburn. My doc gave me 1% hydrocortisone to apply 3 times a day for 3 days. Also told me to start soaking my face with a mix of 1 tsp vinegar to 1 cup of cold water every 4-6 hrs on the 2nd day. he says some people may need up to 3 treatments depending on how bad the acne is. i have mild/moderate cystic acne. For $400.00 I hope this does something!! If not....I'm going back to accutane!

not really, mayb a little, but definitly not worth the money my rents spent on it. however it all depends on the severity and persistence of your acne, so it may be different for you.