Notifications
Clear all

regimen scam?

MemberMember
(@dragon1)

Posted : 09/06/2010 7:03 pm

Cant help but wonder if this "regimen" is not just a scam for the owner of this website to cash in on?

Sure, he has pages and pages on "success stories"...that all sound extremely generic.

If it meant I could make a lot of money by writing one or two fake 'success stories' a day, then why wouldnt I? Could it be possible that all these stories are forged in order to sell all the regimen products?

He seems very intent on not pushing his products off on you, he more or less just makes them available to you at a low price. ...I'd like to trust him and trust that he isnt taking advantage of millions of people suffering from acne...but at the end of the day this guy is running a business and he wants you to buy his stuff.

I've tried the regimen for months and of course, it did not work. If anything, my skin just got worse. I followed all the steps perfectly so i am confident that there was no human error.

Stop and think logically for a second before you consider the regiment: This guy is not a doctor, he is running a business, and there is NO CURE FOR ACNE...sad but true.

Everyone struggling with acne (me included): stay strong and hopefully we'll all outgrow it soon!

MemberMember
(@acnevsme)

Posted : 09/06/2010 7:08 pm

Cant help but wonder if this "regimen" is not just a scam for the owner of this website to cash in on?

Sure, he has pages and pages on "success stories"...that all sound extremely generic.

If it meant I could make a lot of money by writing one or two fake 'success stories' a day, then why wouldnt I? Could it be possible that all these stories are forged in order to sell all the regimen products?

He seems very intent on not pushing his products off on you, he more or less just makes them available to you at a low price. ...I'd like to trust him and trust that he isnt taking advantage of millions of people suffering from acne...but at the end of the day this guy is running a business and he wants you to buy his stuff.

I've tried the regimen for months and of course, it did not work. If anything, my skin just got worse. I followed all the steps perfectly so i am confident that there was no human error.

Stop and think logically for a second before you consider the regiment: This guy is not a doctor, he is running a business, and there is NO CURE FOR ACNE...sad but true.

Everyone struggling with acne (me included): stay strong and hopefully we'll all outgrow it soon!

I am living progress that this regimen in fact work for most people maybe not all but alot .more than any acne product out there. the guy is not even asking for you to buy his stuff .he even recomends other products that are availble at stores.How would that be considered a scam.Go check my before and after pics and youll see is not a scam,

You had to be a newbie to post this thread.

MemberMember
(@dragon1)

Posted : 09/06/2010 7:16 pm

i notice you reply a lot in these threads.

I waited a long time to post my opinion.

I respect your opinion/story but i remain skeptical because

1. i dont know who you are

2. i dont have proof you were on the regimen

3. you could just be a part of the conspiracy i developed

take any sales class and they'll tell you the best way to pitch your product is by acknowledging competing products and then make your case for your own product.

not sayin, just sayin'

MemberMember
(@acnevsme)

Posted : 09/06/2010 7:21 pm

i notice you reply a lot in these threads.

I waited a long time to post my opinion.

I respect your opinion/story but i remain skeptical because

1. i dont know who you are

2. i dont have proof you were on the regimen

3. you could just be a part of the conspiracy i developed

take any sales class and they'll tell you the best way to pitch your product is by acknowledging competing products and then make your case for your own product.

not sayin, just sayin'

wow lol really you actually think im just someone who got paid to write stuff on these forums lol you need help brah.YOU can go and read my depressive threads. now if i was a sells person why would i write all that .and why wouldnt i check my grammar.as you can see my grammar is teribble doesnt make sence now does it

MemberMember
(@soccersweetie1101)

Posted : 09/06/2010 7:27 pm

lol yeah the hundreds of thousands of people on this fourm are just in on a scam.

LOLOL this cracks me up. and dan never said it was a cure. there are people on this site that the regimen hasnt worked on. look it up. its just an effective method for certain people so just calm the f down and live with the facts.

i hate it when people bash this site. this site has done nothing but wonders to me.

MemberMember
(@dragon1)

Posted : 09/06/2010 7:43 pm

im not bashing anything.

im just expressing my opinion (you are entitled to yours, so let me be entitled to mine please)

the fact that there are so many people on this site is what really made me question the legitimacy of it all.

Im happy the regimen worked for you.

I just thought id post my thoughts to see what others thought.

Why arent these products available in stores by the way?

I think this Dan guy is a nice guy who may or may not have had acne problems and is a pretty good business man.

MemberMember
(@dragon1)

Posted : 09/06/2010 7:44 pm

and i dont think you are a sales person, i think the owner is.

and i think hes doing pretty well for himself.

no comment on your grammar ;)

MemberMember
(@carnivalesque)

Posted : 09/06/2010 8:26 pm

There are a plethora of clinical studies showing the effectiveness of Benzoyl Peroxide as an acne treatment. BP is the basis of the regimen, everything else is just maximizing its effectiveness (the cleanser) and minimizing the side effects (the moisturizer)

MemberMember
(@dragon1)

Posted : 09/06/2010 8:34 pm

exactly, its just a simple product... thats why all these miracle success stories seem a little far fetched and generic.

MemberMember
(@kat-kerfuffle)

Posted : 09/06/2010 8:34 pm

I can kind of understand where you're coming from. Lots of sites on the internet are scams. Not to mention a ton of infomercials. I've been to sites before supposedly written by a "blogger mom" who knew how to "get perfectly white teeth with free stuff in about a week!". Or a college student blogging her miraculous idea of how she found the way to get rid of stretch marks forever if you only buy her book. And what makes it worse is the shit loads of comments these particular sites have from fake people writing fake testimonials. The internet has a lot of scam sites, and it's not surprising that some people think acne.org is one too.

And no matter what people say on this site, sometimes it may all just look like a big hoax to make money.

But what I can say is that most (if not all) of the testimonials are actually real. Mine is real, many others are real. We're real people suffering with the same problem: acne.

And what I can also say is that the founder of this site and the founder of "the regimen" have listed, for free, his way to clear acne with over-the-counter products. He does not sell these products or get paid by their company. He also makes his own products which aren't sold in stores, which is something I'd love to see..but maybe in the future he'll sell his own products in stores.

What isn't a fraud is the fact that "the regimen" itself uses benzoyl peroxide as it's base and the act of being gentle to your skin is a huge factor too. Being gentle, washing gently (no matter what you're washing with) will calm acne down. As with any inflammation, if you constantly rub at it, it's going to linger and/or get worse. Benzoyl Peroxide is a chemical topical that oxygenates skin. Acne bacteria can not live in oxygenated areas. With a lot of gentle washing, and a lot of benzoyl peroxide, you're pretty much on your way to better, clearer skin. Whether you choose to use Dan's benzoyl peroxide, neutrogena, proactiv's, or one that your dermatologist prescribed...it's all the same concept. Maybe not the same results, because I truly love Dan's BP over anyone elses, but it's the all the same concept.

Sure, Dan's making probably a crap load of money from his products, and I'm sure he's not displeased at that fact. However, many people continue to buy his products because they work; point blank. And if I'm (and a lot of other people on here) fraudulent, than I've spent way too much of my hard earned money being a fake success story.

MemberMember
(@dragon1)

Posted : 09/06/2010 9:01 pm

another question: why are you people still on this message board so frequently?

if my skin were as clear as you say yours is...i would not waste my time in these forums.

the fact that this guy wants you to use a ton of his product twice a day just seems too fishy.

why wouldnt medical professionals tell you to use such large amounts?

has scam written all over it

MemberMember
(@ace123)

Posted : 09/06/2010 10:05 pm

Nothing about this site has scam written on it. I dare you to compare this site to proactiv or murad. They're completely different from this site. Why are you here if you think its such a scam?

People come here so much because acne takes a serious emotional toll on us. Even people who have clear skin now still come here to help out other people. And even if acne is gone many people still have scars/redmarks which is just as bad as acne.

What makes you think doctors know everything? They don't tell you to use that much because they don't know about its effectiveness. Plus they want you to buy from them. They're more of the ones with the scam if anything. Plus check dans blog. He says how acne has been around forever. Well why hasnt doctors come up with a cure yet? So obviously they don't know everything.

MemberMember
(@kat-kerfuffle)

Posted : 09/06/2010 10:13 pm

If you're here to try and be convinced that this site isn't a fake, than you should definitely be more open minded about these comments you're getting back to your post.

If you're here to just shoot this site down because you think it's a fake, than you're in the wrong place. Whether you think we're real people or we work for Dan, most of us do the regimen and it works for us. If we tried the regimen and knew it was a fake, we wouldn't be here so often.

Going to a dermatologist "medical professional" would be a great idea if most of them didn't treat their patients like guinea pigs. Like ace said, if anyone's out to make a profit it's the medical professionals. My brother went to a derm when he was a teen for acne problems and the derm was such a moron, had my brother on so much weird shit that my brothers face was basically ruined by all the shit the doctor prescribed.

I used to belong to the forums about 4 years ago and disappeared for a couple years. I joined back again to help people who are new to the regimen, because it seems that when people get clear they disappear just like I did and leave the new ones to answer the new ones questions. My face is clear but I can't help but think of the fact this site is still around since I use its products twice a day, everyday of my life haha.

P.S. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with the regimen yourself. But everyones skin is different, and for some they are too impatient to wait for the results. If I hadn't have given the regimen about 5 months to work and all the side effects to finally go away I would have probably quit doing it too. Like you said, there's no cure for acne. The regimen isn't a cure for acne. But it keeps it under control and prevents breakouts. And hell, if it works for someone..why not keep doing it?

MemberMember
(@zach624)

Posted : 09/06/2010 10:23 pm

ok well ive used this regimen for about a month and a half and now my face looks worse then it ever did in my entire life. I hate to say it but because of this regimen my face is just terrible now. The derm told me to stop using it right away before it gets wores and thet my skin calm down for a week or two the problem was so much bp on my face just had a reverse effect somehow idk but i stopped using it becasue of this. Im not saying this is a scam but think about about he insists that you stick with it for 3 months+ with a full finger of bp twice a day i also think that is a little strange because i have never seen the need for so much BP but thats just my opinion.

MemberMember
(@littleguy)

Posted : 09/07/2010 12:36 am

I'll tell you what a scam is: $9.99 for a fucking TINY tube of BP from Neutrogena!!! Dan gives 20X that much of higher quality BP for about the same price.

I came to this site because nothing else worked, and frankly I couldn't afford to pay for prescription treatments anymore, and they were not working anyways. I understand that you're frustrated that its not working for you, but I really doubt that this site is a scam.

What do you plan to switch to if the BP regimen doesn't work?

MemberMember
(@warrior-of-acne)

Posted : 09/07/2010 1:00 am

The mind is a powerful thing. If you do want to believe it's a scam, then it is. If you don't want to believe it's a scam, then it's not. I have already made my judgment that you are a troll trying to get us all riled up (my personal opinion). To anybody reading this I'd suggest you don't feed the troll with angry/defensive arguments.

By the way, I really do not see how Dan is making THAT much money. Have you looked at the prices of his products? About $15 for 8 ounces of BP? Try and find that kind of deal in a store and then report back with your results. Have you looked at his blog and how he is constantly researching treatments to help us all or how he adds a little known licorice root extract to the moisturizer for anti-inflammatory purposes?

If Dan's intent was to scam us all and make loads of money, he wouldn't add little things like licochalcone (licorice root extract) or continue to make blog posts on research.

And FYI, I don't even use the Regimen.

EDIT: Here is the link to the blog- http://www.acne.org/blog/

http://www.acne.org/regimen <<< Also read this. Does he ever say to use only his products? If my intent was to make money, I would say that you can only use MY products, not any one from a drugstore for which he makes not one penny.

MemberMember
(@pepe88)

Posted : 09/07/2010 4:42 am

LOL. And pharmaceutical companies are the most honest ones. You dont need acne treatment. You need to see a shrink.

MemberMember
(@slsl)

Posted : 09/07/2010 5:29 am

Dan could be making a LOT more money. If he sold his products in stores, he would make a lot more money. But he would need to sell less product and bump up the prices. There is no marketing hype, no Madison Avenue executive thinking up ways to sell more product. It grows by one avenue only and its word of mouth. If the product didn't work, it would not sell. He could be advertising other things on this site to make a lot more money. But he doesn't. Why would this whole thing be a scam? I just feel as if you're one paranoid person. People stick around on this site even when Dan's regimin works to ask more questions about skin or health, to help others, they're dealing with the scars that acne has left behind, etc.

MemberMember
(@dragon1)

Posted : 09/07/2010 9:33 pm

ya'll are pretty judgemental.

it was just a thought, no need to tell me im paranoid or anything else.

is this stuff FDA approved can someone tell me?

MemberMember
(@imout)

Posted : 09/07/2010 9:40 pm

ya'll are pretty judgemental.

it was just a thought, no need to tell me im paranoid or anything else.

is this stuff FDA approved can someone tell me?

of course it is and it has been reclassified as safe and effective, check out the blog about here:

http://www.acne.org/blog/2010/04/22/fda-re...-and-effective/

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 09/07/2010 11:38 pm

ya'll are pretty judgemental. ...

And you aren't? :)

MemberMember
(@ace123)

Posted : 09/08/2010 7:25 am

Haha good one Wynne.

MemberMember
(@manonfire)

Posted : 09/08/2010 7:39 am

Yeah , it's a massive scam. The illuminati run the whole thing and when you put the bp on tiny cameras are implanted in your skin cells.

MemberMember
(@momma-soph)

Posted : 09/13/2010 2:16 pm

I joined the forum today after reading/lurking 100's of posts. I want to start by saying I joined mainly so I could reply to this post. I'd also like to add that I've never used Dan's regimen. I'm over 40 and have battled mild to moderate acne my whole life. I have had both general acne and the cystic type. In my 40 plus years I've tried many things and honestly what worked for best for me is what I'd likely stick with. But I'm a sucker for finding something better, less expensive etc. So I have experimented. That said here is my reply to the scam thing and some of the comments made by Manonfire and others in regards to this.

We get that you don't like the product and think it's a scam. You are entitled to your opinion and I even appreciate that you encourage people to really think about it. To do the research for themselves. I respect that you tried it before making negative remarks. Fine you don't like it, you obviously aren't being forced to use it or waste your money on it if you don't want to.

If it had worked for I'm sure you would be singing a different story; singing from the roof tops that your acne was gone. Why is it so absurd to you that those that have tried it with success are here sharing their success with others offering support to others who are battling the same thing? If my battle was infertility and I visit an infertility forum, I expect to get support from people who have overcome the battle and also those who are still struggling. I expect no different here.

The one thing I agree with you on and this is again coming from someone who has never used the regimen, is that it seems inflexible to think that this exact recipe will work the same for every person. I also tend to think it absurd that anyone should have to live with flaking/redness/skin irritation for months before expecting it to clear up (this comes from having read several posts here). Proactiv (which I have tried with moderate success) recommends a dime size squirt of the BP lotion, which I found to be plenty for my mild to moderate acne. If I used as much as Dan suggests I don't think it would work for me and I would end up results you had. IRRITATION and major breakout and redness.

My best success with my acne came from using Proactiv, which I think is a similar regimen to Dan's the main factor is the Repairing lotion which is 2.5% BP. They recommend using entire kit twice a day, with a general disclaimer that says if the person experience too much flaking/irritation etc that they can back off to once a day. I found that I was the type of person that did indeed experience too much flaking etc with 2x a day, so I backed off and boom it seemed to be a good balance.

My issue wasn't so much bad breakouts with Proactiv but dry flakey skin in areas like my nose where I didn't even have zits to begin with. I believe the problem lies in the fact that they have acne medication in the cleanser and toner. After having done some research on my own at my local library and on the Net, I realized that this may be medication over kill.

The more gentle regimen that Dan suggests here makes sense, and I can say it's NOT the first place I've read it. Most dermatologist will agree that medicated cleansers are not the way to go to overcome acne, one because it is only on skin for a few seconds before it's rinsed off. Its better to put the medicine on and leave it on skin. And research has proven that BP is one of the best medicines based on cost and effectiveness for successfully controlling acne. They also agree that 2.5% is a good starting place, and that doses as high as 10% can be way too irritating for most skin. My advice to you is to do your homework on these things.

My opinion is that each person has to experiment a bit and find what works for them, everyone will be different as everyone's acne and skin is not the same. Some may have better results using less BP on a less frequent basis, like I did on Proactiv, others may need more. I don't think people should have to deal with irritation or flaking for months, and somehow magically see positive results. If you try it for 3 months and still have negative results I'd say that is ample time. Shorter than 6 weeks though and you probably didn't give it enough time. It's definitely not good to switch around constantly cause your skin needs time to adjust.

My current plan is to cease using cleansers that are medicated, but still keep BP in the regimen as this is what I've found to be the key factor to my success. I gave up the Proactiv for a more natural and gentle approach, but I found I have to have the BP in my regimen. I keep simple, gentle, use a low dose of BP every day, and moisturize. One step Dan's regimen doesn't address is the need for exfoliation, which may contribute to why so many experience flaking, so I do exfoliate as gently as possible I'm happy with my current level of control. I am not cured but in control of my problem.

The biggest issue I have to deal with is breaking some bad habits like touching hand to face too much, and also popping zits improperly. If I could get these in control I believe I could be virtually acne free.

I don't choose to believe that Dan's regimen, this forum, or his product line is a scam because I have a brain to reason it out for myself. He very much gives people choices, OTC options; I haven't found he is PUSHING his product he just made the information that worked for him available to others, then he went a step further and made products available in quantities and prices that are affordable. I've researched and educated myself on the subject so his regimen makes sense and seems very reasonable to me. I plan to at least give his BP treatment a try cause the price for the the quantity is very reasonable to me, and I think a 16oz bottle would last me a year. I will order a small one as a trial to see if I like it, if so I'd happily pay the price for the 16oz size.

Thanks for listening! :)

Sincerely,

MemberMember
(@necromancer)

Posted : 09/13/2010 2:22 pm

Not sure what you are talking about but his AHA which is a huge bang for your buck makes my face smoother than a girl's lips. His BP dries acne faster than Superman. You are thinking way too much into it. He is using ingredients that are standard but in bulk form to give the acne people what they want - cheaper prices and more substance!